42 Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 42.

Quotes About 42

Enjoy collection of 100 42 quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 42. Righ click to see and save pictures of 42 quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

It takes 42 muscles to smile. Instead pick up your middle finger and say bite me! ~ Sherrilyn Kenyon
42 quotes by Sherrilyn Kenyon
You can't help noticing that since abandoning its faith in the unseen world Europe seems also to have lost its faith in the seen one. Consider this poll taken in 2002 for the first anniversary of September 11: 61 percent of Americans said they were optimistic about the future, as opposed to 43 percent of Canadians, 42 percent of Britons, 29 percent of the French, 23 percent of Russians, and 15 percent of Germans. I wouldn't reckon those numbers will get any cheerier over the years. ~ Mark Steyn
42 quotes by Mark Steyn
an insane love for nudity desired but never possessed (42) ~ Emile Zola
42 quotes by Emile Zola
Already the zest of combat, which of old had been so keen and lasting, had died down, and he discovered that he was self-analytical, too much so to live, single heart and single hand, so primitive an existence. ~ Jack London
42 quotes by Jack London
The less affluent must be able, at least in theory, to catch up with the more affluent. Hence politics remains without substance, a realm from which the crucial dimensions of life, the core values, are excluded.42 Who, then, can criticize this situation? ~ Morris Berman
42 quotes by Morris Berman
To achieve results. This is the only true measure of a team P.42 ~ Patrick Lencioni
42 quotes by Patrick Lencioni
Substantial progress was made in spreading our foreign trade to other areas. Our total trade with Northwest Europe in the first 8 months of last year was 42.3 per cent above the corresponding period the year previous, and our total trade with Asia was up 13.5 per cent. For the first time since 1919, the United States in the first 8 months of 1956 accounted for less than 60 percent of our total trade. ~ Ramon Magsaysay
42 quotes by Ramon Magsaysay
As mutual fund returns vary widely, e.g. as of October 31, 2014, the 5-year annualized return has varied between -6.94% and 26.42% with average return of 13.62%. A right advisor can definitely provide value addition in fund selection and achieving your goals. ~ Jigar Patel
42 quotes by Jigar Patel
One of my greatest pleasures there was enjoying the smell of bacon frying and coffee brewing and knowing that white folks were doing the preparing instead of me. I was 42 years old, and it was one of the few times in my life up to that point when I did not feel any hostility from white people. ~ Rosa Parks
42 quotes by Rosa Parks
You had 42 blacks that ran on the Republican ticket this Cycle, 14 made of them made it to the general election and two of us made it to the House of Representatives. So I think that there is a new movement that needs to have a voice in the Congressional Black Caucus. ~ Allen West
42 quotes by Allen West
At 42, I decided to become a photographer because it offered a means of creative thought and action. I didn't rationalize this, I just felt it intuitively and followed my intuition, which I have never regretted. ~ Wynn Bullock
42 quotes by Wynn Bullock
To assess a nation through its economic data is a little like re-envisaging oneself via the results of a blood test, whereby the traditional markers of personality and character are set aside and it is made clear that one is at base, where it really counts, a creatinine level of 3.2, a lactate dehydrogenase of 927, a leukocyte (per field) of 2 and a C-reactive protein of 2.42. ~ Alain De Botton
42 quotes by Alain De Botton
Not having money to spend doesn't mean we can't have well-spent moments every day. (42) ~ Sarah Ban Breathnach
42 quotes by Sarah Ban Breathnach
Remember how the Lord rebukes Martha when He says: 'You are anxious and troubled about many things: one thing alone is needful' (Lk. 10:41-42) ? to hear the divine word; after that, one should be content with anything that comes to hand. ~ Evagrius Ponticus
42 quotes by Evagrius Ponticus
I made a list of people who needed just a little bit of money. And when the list was complete, there were 42 names. The total amount of money they needed was $27. I was shocked. ~ Muhammad Yunus
42 quotes by Muhammad Yunus
I have never been married. I don't know if I will ever marry, though I hope to. When I am asked why I have not married, I explain that my parents have been happily married for 42 years. The bar feels so very high for that kind of commitment. ~ Roxane Gay
42 quotes by Roxane Gay
The best religion or practice is the one that makes us better. (42) ~ Jean-Yves Leloup
42 quotes by Jean-Yves Leloup
Your identity & life passion/purpose in the context of your beliefs determine your vision, your vision determines your mission, your mission determines your KRAs, your KRAs determine your goals, your goals determine your thoughts, and your thoughts determine your life!" ~ gfp '42© ~ Gary Patton
42 quotes by Gary Patton
In the 1970s, 3 percent of retiring members became lobbyists. Thirty years later, that number has increased by an order of magnitude. Between 1998 and 2004, more than 50 percent of senators and 42 percent of House members made that career transition. ~ Lawrence Lessig
42 quotes by Lawrence Lessig
42. What is the name of her first EP? Title 43. When was her first EP released? September 9, 2014 44. What was she nominated for at the 2014 American Music Awards? New Artist of the Year 45. What was she nominated for at the 2014 MTV Europe Music Awards? Best Song with a Social Message 46. What was she nominated for at the 2014 NewNowNext Awards? Best New Female Musician 47. What was she nominated for at the 2014 Capricho Awards? Revelation International 48. What was she nominated for at the 2015 People's Choice Awards? Favorite Breakout Artist and Favorite Song 49. What was she nominated for at the 2015 Grammy Awards? Record of the Year and Song of the Year 50. Which albums of hers are self-released? I'll Sing with You and Only 17 ~ Nancy Smith
42 quotes by Nancy Smith
Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom,' the good thief said from his cross. (Luke 23:42). There are perhaps no more human words in all of Scripture, no prayer we can pray so well. ~ Frederick Buechner
42 quotes by Frederick Buechner
Already renewable energy advocates are noting that the 42 miles of above-ground right-of-way between Yosemite and the city could be fitted with enough solar panels to generate at least 40 megawatts per year - a proposal the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission has never seriously considered because they currently aren't required to do so. ~ Matt Gonzalez
42 quotes by Matt Gonzalez
Father God, I ask You to lead me when I'm blinded by ways I have not known, along unfamiliar paths please guide me; Lord, turn the darkness into light before me and make the rough places smooth. I pray these are the things You will do; I know You will not forsake me. (Isa. 42:16) ~ Beth Moore
42 quotes by Beth Moore
The city of Gloucester, by ancient custom, presented a lamprey pie to the sovereign at Christmas time, as a token of loyalty. Lampreys are scaleless freshwater sucker-fish resembling eels, desirable in the past for their oily, gamey flesh. The tradition of gifting lamprey pies to the royal family continued until the end of Queen Victoria's reign, but was revived for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 when a 42-pound pie was cooked by the RAF catering crops. ~ Janet Clarkson
42 quotes by Janet Clarkson
And Moses said, If you should disbelieve, you and whoever is on the earth entirely - indeed, Allah is Free of need and Praiseworthy. ~ Quran 8 42
42 quotes by Quran 8 42
America has been in existence for 150 years and this is the level she has reached. We have existed not quite 42 years and in another seven years we will be on the same level as America. When we catch you up, in passing you by, we will wave to you. ~ Nikita Khrushchev
42 quotes by Nikita Khrushchev
And they continued steadfastly (Acts 2:42) - That is to say, they did not backslide. The real reason there are so many backsliders is because there are so many who have never had a forward slide to Jesus Christ. ~ Oswald J. Smith
42 quotes by Oswald J. Smith
Last night I undressed for bed. But instead of crawling between the sheets I decided to stand, naked, in front of the large full-length mirror that is propped against the wall next to my bed. ⠀

I turned off the bright lights, and found a song that spoke to the energy I could feel under my skin. For a while I just stood there. And I looked at myself. Bare skin. Open Heart. Clear truth. ⠀

It's a wonder, after 42 years on earth, to allow it to fully land, this knowing that I can stop, and look at myself and think things other than unkind words. ⠀

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to paint you a pretty social media picture that doesn't play out in real life. I'm not suddenly completely fine with all that is. I'm human and I'm a woman in the midst of this particular culture, and so of course I'd love to be tighter and firmer and lifted. I'd love to have the skin and metabolism I did in my twenties. I wish, often, that my stomach were flatter. I wear makeup and I dye away my gray hair. I worry about these things too, of course I do. ⠀

But finally, and fully - I can stand and look at myself and be filled, completely, with love. I can look at myself entirely bare and think, yes, I like myself now. Just as I am. Even if nothing changes. This me. She is good. And she is beautiful. ⠀

And even in the space of allowing myself to be human, and annoyed with those things I view as imperfections, I honor and celebrate this shift. ⠀
Jeanette LeBlanc
42 quotes by Jeanette LeBlanc
I'm 64 years old, and I've been acting now for 42 years. Only recently have I thought to myself, 'Hmmm, it may be interesting to start directing.' ~ David Suchet
42 quotes by David Suchet
All my heroes, I guess, like John Wayne and all those guys, they drank and they smoked and did all the manly things. It was expected of you. And now abstinence in all kinds of forms is a part of living. It's a pretty - I don't smoke anymore, I quit that 42 years ago ~ Larry Hagman
42 quotes by Larry Hagman
And even if prayer seems futile and unnecessary, even if tears are quite often your only food - "day and night," as the psalmist said (Ps. 42:3) - hope still lives because God still loves. ~ Frank Page
42 quotes by Frank Page
The Ultimate Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything is ... 42! ~ Douglas Adams
42 quotes by Douglas Adams
There are certain verses in the Quran which convey injunctions similar to the following: 'Kill them wherever you find them.' (2:191)
Referring to such verses, there are some who attempt to give the impression that Islam is a religion of war and violence. This is total untrue. Such verses relate in a restricted sense, to those who have unilaterally attacked the Muslims. The above verse does not convey the general command of Islam. (pp. 42-43) ~ Maulana Wahiduddin Khan
42 quotes by Maulana Wahiduddin Khan
My mom passed away at 41 from diabetes. And I'm 42, thank you. I didn't want to do that to my son. So any time I was at the gym, that thing that helped me do that last squat was my son calling some other woman mommy. And that would just give me that extra oomph to do that last squat. I want to be around for him. ~ Sherri Shepherd
42 quotes by Sherri Shepherd
My mother came from a generation that did not want nannies. She had her first child at 24 and her last - me - at 42. ~ Janine Di Giovanni
42 quotes by Janine Di Giovanni
I always keep a Ziploc bag in my pocket, and wherever I go I fill up my bag with dirt, because my goal is to be the largest land holder in the world by the time I'm 42. ~ Jarod Kintz
42 quotes by Jarod Kintz
I feel amazing, in my life right now, I have so much motivation. I am so hungry and so determined. I am young, I am healthy and I feel great ... 42 is the new 32. ~ Oscar De La Hoya
42 quotes by Oscar De La Hoya
The meaning of life is to make life be more. ~ Will Advise
42 quotes by Will Advise
I am an average player, but even the great players don't have an average of 42, with a strike-rate of 75. ~ Misbah-ul-Haq
42 quotes by Misbah-ul-Haq
After I directed for the first time, I wanted to call every director I'd ever worked with and apologize. In television you are tasked with shooting 42 minutes, or whatever, in eight days. That's not a lot of time. ~ Michelle MacLaren
42 quotes by Michelle MacLaren
In Washington State, the immigrant population has grown by 42 percent in the five years between 2000 and 2005 - which is an increase from 8 percent to 10.6 percent of the overall population - and the jobless rate in the state has hit a 6 year low. ~ Dave Reichert
42 quotes by Dave Reichert
It is like a lighted torch whose flame can be distributed to ever so many other torches which people may bring along; and therewith they will cook food and dispel darkness, while the original torch itself remains burning ever the same. It is even so with the bliss of the Way.
[Sutra of 42 Sections] ~ Gautama Buddha
42 quotes by Gautama Buddha
Could the observers of the crucifixion "clearly perceive" the ways of God? No - even though they were looking right at a wonder of grace. They saw only darkness and pain, and the categories of human reason are sure God cannot be working in and through that. So they called Jesus to "come down now from the cross," sneering, "He saved others . . . but he can't save himself." (Matt 27:42 NIV). But they did not realize he could save others only because he did not save himself. Only ~ Timothy J. Keller
42 quotes by Timothy J. Keller
Constantly falling back into an old trap, before I am even fully aware of it, I find myself wondering why someone hurt me, rejected me, or didn't pay attention to me. Without realizing it, I find myself brooding about someone else's success, my own loneliness, and the way the world abuses me. Despite my conscious intentions, I often catch myself daydreaming about becoming rich, powerful, and very famous. All of these mental games reveal to me the fragility of my faith that I am the Beloved One on whom God's favor rests. I am so afraid of being disliked, blamed, put aside, passed over, ignored, persecuted, and killed that I am constantly developing strategies to defend myself and thereby assure myself of the love I think I need and deserve. And in so doing I move far away from my father's home and choose to dwell in a "distant country," (pp. 41 & 42). ~ Henri J.M. Nouwen
42 quotes by Henri J.M. Nouwen
these are ten manifestations of demon possession in the New Testament. 1. superhuman physical strength (Mark 5:3; Acts 19:16) 2. fits of rage and ferocious behavior (Mark 5:4) 3. high pain tolerance (Mark 5:5) 4. self-mutilation (Mark 5:5) 5. foaming at the mouth (Luke 9:39) 6. seizures or convulsions (Luke 9:42) 7. divided personality (Mark 5:6-7) (The demoniac ran to Jesus yet at the same time cried out in fear.) 8. resistance to spiritual things, especially the name of Jesus (Mark 5:7) 9. clairvoyance or supernatural knowledge (Mark 5:7; Acts 16:16) 10. change in voice (Mark 5:9) ~ Mark Hitchcock
42 quotes by Mark Hitchcock
Two Dutch researchers did a study in which they had groups of students answer forty-two fairly demanding questions from the board game Trivial Pursuit. Half were asked to take five minutes beforehand to think about what it would mean to be a professor and write down everything that came to mind. Those students got 55.6 percent of the questions right. The other half of the students were asked to first sit and think about soccer hooligans. They ended up getting 42.6 percent of the Trivial Pursuit questions right. The "professor" group didn't know more than the "soccer hooligan" group. They weren't smarter or more focused or more serious. They were simply in a "smart" frame of mind, and, clearly, associating themselves with the idea of something smart, like a professor, made it a lot easier - in that stressful instant after a trivia question was asked - to blurt out the right answer. ~ Malcolm Gladwell
42 quotes by Malcolm Gladwell
As a hart longs for flowing streams, so longs my soul for thee. PSALM 42 : 1 ~ Francine Rivers
42 quotes by Francine Rivers
The Congressional Budget Office tells us that Medicare spending has increased fivefold in the past 42 years, dramatically more than all other categories of federal spending. ~ David Limbaugh
42 quotes by David Limbaugh
All these lies, whether their authors know it or not, harbor an element of violence; organized lying always tends to destroy whatever it has decided to negate, although only totalitarian governments have consciously adopted lying as a first step to murder.[42] ~ Stanley Hauerwas
42 quotes by Stanley Hauerwas
And never think that Allah is unaware of what the wrongdoers do. He only delays them for a Day when eyes will stare [in horror]. ~ Quran 14 42
42 quotes by Quran 14 42
In a cross-cultural study of 173 societies (by Herbert Barry and L. M. Paxson of the University of Pittsburgh) 76 societies typically had mother and infant sharing a bed; in 42 societies they shared a room but not a bed; and in the remaining 55 societies they shared a room with a bed unspecified. There were no societies in which infants routinely slept in a separate room. ~ Melvin Konner
42 quotes by Melvin Konner
The problem is that the way [President] Bush has done it over the last eight years is to take out a credit card from the Bank of China in the name of our children, driving up our national debt from $5 trillion dollars for the first 42 presidents - number 43 added $4 trillion dollars by his lonesome - so that we now have over $9 trillion dollars of debt that we are going to have to pay back. [That's] $30,000 for every man, woman and child. That's irresponsible. It's unpatriotic. ~ Barack Obama
42 quotes by Barack Obama
A poll earlier this year showed that 42 per cent of Americans believe we're in the End Times. ~ Andrew Denton
42 quotes by Andrew Denton
[Adapted and condensed Valedictorian speech:]

I'm going to ask that you seriously consider modeling your life, not in the manner of the Dalai Lama or Jesus - though I'm sure they're helpful - but something a bit more hands-on, Carassius auratus auratus, commonly known as the domestic goldfish. People make fun of the goldfish. People don't think twice about swallowing it. Jonas Ornata III, Princeton class of '42, appears in the Guinness Book of World Records for swallowing the greatest number of goldfish in a fifteen-minute interval, a cruel total of thirty-nine. In his defense, though, I don't think Jonas understood the glory of the goldfish, that they have magnificent lessons to teach us. If you live like a goldfish, you can survive the harshest, most thwarting of circumstances. You can live through hardships that make your cohorts - the guppy, the neon tetra - go belly-up at the first sign of trouble. There was an infamous incident described in a journal published by the Goldfish Society of America - a sadistic five-year-old girl threw hers to the carpet, stepped on it, not once but twice - luckily she'd done it on a shag carpet and thus her heel didn't quite come down fully on the fish. After thirty harrowing seconds she tossed it back into its tank. It went on to live another forty-seven years. They can live in ice-covered ponds in the dead of winter. Bowls that haven't seen soap in a year. And they don't die from neglect, not immediately. They hold on for thre ~ Marisha Pessl
42 quotes by Marisha Pessl
In '42,' it's like the '40s where racial equality had come into the consciousness of a lot of people, whereas in the 1900s it was sort of a new thing. ~ Andre Holland
42 quotes by Andre Holland
but God is the God of the unsuccessful - the God of those who have failed. Heaven is being filled with earth's broken lives, and there is no "bruised reed" (Isa. 42:3) that Christ cannot take and restore to a glorious place of blessing and beauty. He can take a life crushed by pain or sorrow and make it a harp whose music will be total praise. He can lift earth's saddest failure up to heaven's glory. J. R. Miller ~ Lettie B. Cowman
42 quotes by Lettie B. Cowman
today we read of Don Quixote with a bitter taste in the mouth, it is
almost an ordeal, which would make us seem very strange and incomprehensible
to the author and his contemporaries, – they read it with a clear
conscience as the funniest of books, it made them nearly laugh themselves
to death).To see suffering does you good, to make suffer, better still – that
On the Genealogy of Morality
48 See below, Supplementary material, pp. 153–4.
49 See below, Supplementary material, pp. 137–9, pp. 140–1, pp. 143–4.
50 Don Quixote, Book II, chs 31–7.
is a hard proposition, but an ancient, powerful, human-all-too-human
proposition to which, by the way, even the apes might subscribe: as people
say, in thinking up bizarre cruelties they anticipate and, as it were, act out
a 'demonstration' of what man will do. No cruelty, no feast: that is what
the oldest and longest period in human history teaches us – and punishment,
too, has such very strong festive aspects! – ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
42 quotes by Friedrich Nietzsche
LUK23.42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. LUK23.43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. ~ Anonymous
42 quotes by Anonymous
A recent survey or North American males found 42% were overweight, 34% were critically obese and 8% ate the survey. ~ Banksy
42 quotes by Banksy
I'd rather have two girls at 21 each than one girl at 42. ~ W.C. Fields
42 quotes by W.C. Fields
Of course, the outcome of the war would not have been changed. The war was lost perhaps, when it was started. At least it was lost in the winter of '42, in Russia. ~ Adolf Galland
42 quotes by Adolf Galland
This shift in culture has changed us. In the first place, it has made us a bit more materialistic. College students now say they put more value on money and career success. Every year, researchers from UCLA survey a nationwide sample of college freshmen to gauge their values and what they want out of life. In 1966, 80 percent of freshmen said that they were strongly motivated to develop a meaningful philosophy of life. Today, less than half of them say that. In 1966, 42 percent said that becoming rich was an important life goal. By 1990, 74 percent agreed with that statement. Financial security, once seen as a middling value, is now tied as students' top goal. In 1966, in other words, students felt it was important to at least present themselves as philosophical and meaning-driven people. By 1990, they no longer felt the need to present themselves that way. They felt it perfectly acceptable to say they were primarily interested in money.20 We live in a more individualistic society. If ~ David Brooks
42 quotes by David Brooks
The Mirror interviewed one of Osama bin Laden's sons and said bin Laden has 42 children. That's going to happen when you sleep in a different cave every night. ~ Jay Leno
42 quotes by Jay Leno
Kenya DOES NOT belong to 2 tribes only. Kenya has 42 tribes. to say that the decision of 2 tribes is the decision of the whole country is fallacy and outright dictatorship and tribalism
Akuku Mach Pep, Democracy on Trial ~ Akuku Mach Pep
42 quotes by Akuku Mach Pep
Good job on Percy Jackson I read all of them 8 times and have listened 42 times and still not bored Thanks. ~ Rick Riordan
42 quotes by Rick Riordan
For seven and a half million years, Deep Thought computed and calculated, and in the end announced that the answer was in fact 42- and so another, even bigger, computer had to be built to find out what the actual question was. ~ Douglas Adams
42 quotes by Douglas Adams
It is disconcerting to learn that while 73 percent of Americans can name the Three Stooges, only 42 percent can name the three branches of government.6 ~ Parker J. Palmer
42 quotes by Parker J. Palmer
I want to be the girl Zhara once was.
Hellbeast
Maybe I am, already.
I go to Astrid's drawer. I take: her knife.
In the siding of the drawer, I notice her scrawl carved into the wood. She wrote:
To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house. - Isaiah 42:7
Amen, sister.
Someone should pay for their sins. ~ Rachel Cohn
42 quotes by Rachel Cohn
He tells me that he has seen me in issue No. 5 of Crablegs and Muletears and that I am getting better, and I tell him that I am a slow starter and being only 42 ~ Charles Bukowski
42 quotes by Charles Bukowski
My greatest inspiration ... is my mum, who had a baby at the age of 42 and is still so fit, independent and beautiful. ~ Jaime Winstone
42 quotes by Jaime Winstone
You may find yourself hampered by someone who sows tares of despondency. He tries to prevent you from climbing to such heights of holiness by discouraging you with various thoughts. For instance, he will tell you that it is impossible for you to be saved and to keep every single one of God's commandments while you live in this world. When this happens you should sit down in a solitary place by yourself, collect yourself, concentrate your thoughts and give good counsel to your soul, saying: "Why, my soul, are you dejected, and why do you trouble me? Put your hope in God, for I will give thanks to Him; for my salvation lies not in my actions but in God (cf. Ps. 42:5). Who will be vindicated by actions done according to the law (cf. Gal 2:16)? No living person will be vindicated before God (cf. Ps. 143:2). Yet by virtue of my faith in God I hope that in His ineffable mercy He will give me salvation. Get behind me, Satan (cf. Matt. 16:23). I worship the Lord my God (cf. Matt. 4:10) and serve Him from my youth; for He is able to save me simply through His mercy. Go away from me. The God who created me in His image and likeness will reduce you to impotence. ~ Symeon The New Theologian
42 quotes by Symeon The New Theologian
I'm 42 and the age of a guy who has kids, so I guess I'm playing right where I'm supposed to be. I'm comfortable with that, but in the same breath I'd do something edgy. If someone came to me and offered me an edgy and funny story, then I'd do it. ~ Eddie Murphy
42 quotes by Eddie Murphy
One South Carolinian who grew up early in the twentieth century "did not learn that the South had lost the war until he was twelve years old. 'It was one of the saddest awakenings I ever had,'" he recalled. Similarly, Margaret Mitchell remembered that she "heard so much about the fighting and hard times after the war that I firmly believed Mother and Father had been through it all instead of being born long afterward." [141 - 42] ~ Paul D. Escott
42 quotes by Paul D. Escott
I was born in Washington State and have lived here for 42 plus years. ~ David Guterson
42 quotes by David Guterson
When we married, you measured 36-24-36. Now you're 42-42-42. There's more of you, but you are not worth as much. ~ Joel Barnett, Baron Barnett
42 quotes by Joel Barnett, Baron Barnett
Those who have been passed over in this world will be greatly honored and rewarded in heaven. ========== Mark 9.38-42 For or Against First Presbyterian Church, Jackson, Mississippi ~ Anonymous
42 quotes by Anonymous
It's a brave new world. I'm 42 years old. I certainly wasn't out in high school. ~ Rick Mercer
42 quotes by Rick Mercer
You have to separate artistic ability from ethnic origin. Not only am I not black, I am also not a woman, therefore how can I direct women? I am also only 42, therefore how can I direct someone who's 60? So you see where the argument ends up? If you take it to its logical conclusion, I would have to walk around and point a video camera at myself. And who the hell is interested in that? ~ Gavin Hood
42 quotes by Gavin Hood
Therefore let every soul be in subjection to the higher powers' (Rom 13.1). The Christian must not be drawn to the bearers of high office; his calling is to stay below. The higher power are over him, and he must remain under them. The world exercises dominion, the Christian serves, and thus he shares the earthly lot of his Lord, who became a servant. 'For there is no power but of God.' (Mark 10.42-45) These words are addressed to the Christians, not to the powers. ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer
42 quotes by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
When you're 16, you think 28 is so old! And then you get to 28 and it's fabulous. You think, then, what about 42? Ugh! And then 42 is great. As you reach each age, you gain the understanding you need to deal with it and enjoy it. ~ Helen Mirren
42 quotes by Helen Mirren
Don't sweat the small stuff. After all, we're all just along for the ride, on a rock traveling through space at 42,000 mph. ~ Charles F. Glassman
42 quotes by Charles F. Glassman
A country in which 42% of the population is totally misinformed is not a country where democracy is safe. ~ Paul Craig Roberts
42 quotes by Paul Craig Roberts
Ermaline has entered the room noiselessly and is whispering to Nana. When she leaves, Nana and Papa start talking about friends of Mom's who are in the middle of a scandalous divorce. Mom and Dad keep glancing at Adam, and Nana keeps asking Mom and Dad questions, pulling their attention back to the conversation. I have seen this before. It's Nana's highly effective and very annoying way of not mentioning the elephant in the living room. But why does she have to think of Adam as an elephant? Why can't he just be their son?
~pgs 40-42; Hattie on adults ~ Ann M. Martin
42 quotes by Ann M. Martin
Sermon of the Mounts

Matthew 5

AND SEEING THE MULTITUDES, HE WENT UP INTO A MOUNTAIN, AND WHEN HE WAS SET, HIS DISCIPLES CAME UNTO HIM

The Gospels starts in a very beautiful way.

The Bible is the book of the books. The meaning of the word "bible" is - the book.

It is the most precious and beautiful document that humanity has. These statements are the most beautiful ever made.

That is why it is called "The Testament", because Jesus has become the witness of God.

While Buddha's words are refined and philosophic, Jesus words are poetic, plain and simple.

The beginning of the Gospel of Matthew states that 42 generations have passed from Abraham, the founder of Judaism, to Jesus.

Jesus is the flowering, the fulfillment, of these 42 generations.

The whole history that has preceded Jesus is the fulfillment in him.

Jesus is the fruit, the growth, the evolution, of those 42 generations.

The path of Jesus is the path of love. Jesus moved among ordinary people, while Buddha - whose path is the path of meditation, intelligence and understanding - moved with sophisticated people, who was already on the spiritual path,

Jesus is the culmination of the whole Jewish consciousness, while Buddha was the culmination of the Hindu consciousness and Socrates was the culmination of the Greek consciousness.

But the strange things is t ~ Swami Dhyan Giten
42 quotes by Swami Dhyan Giten
Every day of our lives and in every season of the year (not just at Easter time), Jesus asks each of us, as he did following his triumphant entry into Jerusalem those many years ago, 'What think ye of Christ? whose son is he?' (Matt. 22:42.) We declare that he is the Son of God, and the reality of that fact should stir our souls more frequently. I pray that it will, this Easter season and always. ~ Howard W. Hunter
42 quotes by Howard W. Hunter
Some field days can be tough. I've worked inside fuel tanks with 3 foot ceilings, in -42 to +42 Celsius temperatures, in snow and smoke and hail, and I've dug through snow and ice and pavement to find legal evidence. I've worked clear through the night by headlamp, and I've flown in a rickety long-islander with propane tanks strapped into the other seats. I've jury-rigged missing equipment, broken into my own truck, and cut out an emergency helicopter pad with a machete. I've been hungry, cold, tired, lost, injured, and downright hopeless! ~ Mark Mason
42 quotes by Mark Mason
Some properties should not be changed. The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is 42, and you want it to stay that way. Error and status flags will often be hard-coded into your classes. Although they should be publicly and statically available, client code should not be able to change them. ~ Matt Zandstra
42 quotes by Matt Zandstra
The requirement by some Christians that others be Biblically 'ennobling' (lovingly building-them-up) by showing resilience & self-restraint in the face of their sin is being dead to self! (Matthew 10:37-39; Matthew 16:23-25; Mark 8:33-35; Luke 9:22-24; Luke 14:26-28) ~ © gfp '42 ~ Gary Patton
42 quotes by Gary Patton
The desire to do it was strong, but stronger still was the imperative command of his nature not to do it. In spite of himself he was still faithful to Love. The old days of license and easy living were gone. He could not bring them back, nor could he go back to them. He was changed---how changed he had not realized until now. ~ Jack London
42 quotes by Jack London
My soul hath thirsted after the strong living God; when shall I come and appear before the face of God?' (Psalm 42:2) But the Psalmist also says, 'In death there is no one that is mindful of thee.' So it made me happy that I could be with my mother the last few weeks of her life, and for the last ten days at her bedside daily and hourly. Sometimes I thought to myself that it was like being present at a birth to sit by a dying person and see their intentness on what is happening to them. It almost seems that one is absorbed in a struggle, a fearful, grim, physical struggle, to breathe, to swallow, to live. And so, I kept thinking to myself, how necessary it is for one of their loved ones to be beside them, to pray for them, to offer up prayers for them unceasingly, as well as to do all those little offices one can. When my daughter was a little tiny girl, she said to me once, 'When I get to be a great big woman and you are a little tiny girl, I'll take care of you,' and I thought of that when I had to feed my mother by the spoonful and urge her to eat her custard. How good God was to me, to let me be there. I had prayed so constantly that I would be beside her when she died; for years I had offered up that prayer. And God granted it quite literally. I was there, holding her hand, and she just turned her head and sighed. ~ Dorothy Day
42 quotes by Dorothy Day
If you weep not now, when will you ever weep?

E se non piangi, de che pianger suoli?

--Inferno, c. 33 l. 42 ~ Dante Alighieri
42 quotes by Dante Alighieri
Jerry (Rice) played until he was 42. At 39, I ran a 4.43 40-yard dash. You look at the number of dropped balls and the way guys are playing now and you can't honestly say I can't do better. ~ Terrell Owens
42 quotes by Terrell Owens
The chairmen of the largest companies in the world can cancel an appointment or move a board meeting; a manager cannot change the date of a game. In the combined 42 years that Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger have managed in English football, I can only remember one occasion when Sir Alex did not attend a Manchester United game. ~ Howard Wilkinson
42 quotes by Howard Wilkinson
People need such a small amount of money to deal with their own daily life. Because wherever I went to school they taught me about millions of dollars. I dealt with billions of dollars in national plans and investment plans and so on. Not this tiny money, $27 for 42 people. ~ Muhammad Yunus
42 quotes by Muhammad Yunus
For the first time on Planet Earth (in 1964 America), a nation was made up of more college students than farmers. An unheard-of 42% of high school graduates sought higher education. ~ Rick Perlstein
42 quotes by Rick Perlstein
Indeed, the most intense feeling we know of, intense to the point of blotting out all other experiences, namely, the experience of great bodily pain, is at the same time the most private and least communicable of all. Not only is it perhaps the only experience which we are unable to transform into a shape fit for public appearance, it actually deprives us of our feeling for reality to such an extent that we can forget it more quickly and easily than anything else. There seems to be no bridge from the most radical subjectivity, in which I am no longer "recognizable," to the outer world of life.42 Pain, in other words, truly a borderline experience between life as "being among men" (inter homines esse) and death, is so subjective and removed from the world of things and men that it cannot assume an appearance at all.43 ~ Hannah Arendt
42 quotes by Hannah Arendt
Probably our atomic weights merely represent a mean value around which the actual atomic weights of the atoms vary within certain narrow limits ... when we say, the atomic weight of, for instance, calcium is 40, we really express the fact that, while the majority of calcium atoms have an actual atomic weight of 40, there are not but a few which are represented by 39 or 41, a less number by 38 or 42, and so on. ~ William Crookes
42 quotes by William Crookes
If I'd never have picked up the first person, I'd never have picked up the 42,000 in Calcutta. ~ Mother Teresa
42 quotes by Mother Teresa
A New Campus: Interviews with Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, Ann Bowers. Steve Jobs, appearance before the Cupertino City Council, June 7, 2011. CHAPTER 41: ROUND THREE Family Ties: Interviews with Laurene Powell, Erin Jobs, Steve Jobs, Kathryn Smith, Jennifer Egan. Email from Steve Jobs, June 8, 2010, 4:55 p.m.; Tina Redse to Steve Jobs, July 20, 2010, and Feb. 6, 2011. President Obama: Interviews with David Axelrod, Steve Jobs, John Doerr, Laurene Powell, Valerie Jarrett, Eric Schmidt, Austan Goolsbee. Third Medical Leave, 2011: Interviews with Kathryn Smith, Steve Jobs, Larry Brilliant. Visitors: Interviews with Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Mike Slade. CHAPTER 42: LEGACY Jonathan Zittrain, The Future of the Internet - And How to Stop It (Yale, 2008), 2; Cory Doctorow, Why I Won't Buy an iPad, ~ Walter Isaacson
42 quotes by Walter Isaacson
My conduct with my friends is motivated: each being is, I believe, incapable on his own, of going to the end of being. If he tries, he is submerged within a "private being" which has meaning only for himself. Now there is no meaning for a lone individual: bing alone would of itself reject the "private being" if it saw it as such (if I wish my life to have meaning for me, it is necessary that it have meaning for others: no one would dare give to life a meaning which he alone would perceive, from which life in its entirety would escape, except within himself). At the extreme limit of the "possible", it is true, there is nonsense . . . but only of that which had a prior sense: this is fulguration, even "apotheosis" of nonsense. But I don't attain the extreme limit on my own and, in actual fact, I can't believe the extreme limit attained, for I never remain there. If I had to be the only one having attained it (assuming that I had . . .), it would be as thought it had not occurred. For if there subsisted a satisfaction, as small as I can imagine it to be, it would distance me as much from the extreme limit. I cannot for a moment cease to incite myself to attain the extreme limit, and cannot make a distinction between myself and those with whom I desire to communicate.
~George Bataille, "Inner Experience" pg. 42 ~ Georges Bataille
42 quotes by Georges Bataille
Home Situationist Quotes «
» Uselessness Quotes