1830 Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 1830.

Quotes About 1830

Enjoy collection of 20 1830 quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 1830. Righ click to see and save pictures of 1830 quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

To think that the new economy is over is like somebody in London in 1830 saying the entire industrial revolution is over because some textile manufacturers in Manchester went broke. ~ Alvin Toffler
1830 quotes by Alvin Toffler
Young poets are too apt to consider themselves "children of the mist" – they must dwell apart from men and contemn their kind, or they fear they shall be only taken for common-place characters. They forget that poetry is the language which speaks to all hearts - and that instead of cherishing the sacred fire as a lonely light, as one that burns in a charnel house, they should bring it forth in its beauty and brightness as a guide to the pleasant places and sparkling waters of earth's happiness and the radiant messenger of heaven's exalted hopes. And they should rejoice and be glad that to them the kindling of such high imagination is given.

~ Sarah Josepha Hale
Ladies Magazine, November 1830

From the Introduction to Cherishing the Sacred Fire ~ Deborah L. Halliday
1830 quotes by Deborah L. Halliday
Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own.
[The Sick Chamber (The New Monthly Magazine , August 1830)] ~ William Hazlitt
1830 quotes by William Hazlitt
The idea which tyrants find most useful is the idea of God. ~ Stendhal
1830 quotes by Stendhal
But a major factor in the discontent of Americans came with the decree of April 6, 1830, when the Mexican government in essence banned further American immigration into Texas and tried to control slavery. (For an account of how Texans opposed this decree at Fort Anahuac, see Texas History Features on the Texas Almanac website.) Austin protested that the prohibition against American immigration would not stop the flow of Anglos into Texas; it would stop only stable, prosperous Americans from coming. Austin's predictions were fulfilled. Illegal immigrants continued to come. By 1836, the estimated number of people in Texas had reached 35,000. ~ Elizabeth Cruce Alvarez
1830 quotes by Elizabeth Cruce Alvarez
I was born in Berlin on March 15, 1830, the second son of the royal university professor K. W. L. Heyse and his wife Julie, nee Saaling, who came from a Jewish family. ~ Paul Heyse
1830 quotes by Paul Heyse
The title of Realist was thrust upon me just as the title of Romantic was imposed upon the men of 1830. Titles have never given a true idea of things: if it were otherwise, the works would be unnecessary. ~ Gustave Courbet
1830 quotes by Gustave Courbet
The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
(1778 - 1830) ~ William Hazlitt
1830 quotes by William Hazlitt
On March 4th, 1830, I arrived in London, where a new world seemed opened to me. ~ Henry Bessemer
1830 quotes by Henry Bessemer
I am fascinated by all the new technology that creates places for us to meet in what is called cyberspace. I understand what it must have meant for the rebellions in the 19th century, especially in 1830 and 1848, when the mass circulated newspaper became so important for the spreading of information. ~ Henning Mankell
1830 quotes by Henning Mankell
And why does England thus persecute the votaries of her science? Why does she depress them to the level of her hewers of wood and her drawers of water? Is it because science flatters no courtier, mingles in no political strife? ... Can we behold unmoved the science of England, the vital principle of her arts, struggling for existence, the meek and unarmed victim of political strife?
[Reviewing Charles Babbage's Book, Reflections on the Decline of Science in England (1830)] ~ David Brewster
1830 quotes by David Brewster
If any person had told the Parliament which met in terror and perplexity after the crash of 1720 that in 1830 the wealth of England would surpass all their wildest dreams, that the annual revenue would equal the principal of that debt which they considered an intolerable burden, that for one man of ~ Thomas B. Macaulay
1830 quotes by Thomas B. Macaulay
On the 1st day of December, 1830, I was confirmed, and in accordance with the word of the Lord I was ordained an Elder under the hands of the Prophet. ~ Orson Pratt
1830 quotes by Orson Pratt
Oh, if there were only a true religion. Fool that I am, I see a Gothic cathedral and venerable stained-glass windows, and my weak heart conjures up the priest to fit the scene. My soul would understand him, my soul has need of him. I only find a nincompoop with dirty hair. ~ Stendhal
1830 quotes by Stendhal
All the talk about the so-called unspeakable horror of early capitalism can be refuted by a single statistic: precisely in these years in which British capitalism developed, precisely in the age called the Industrial Revolution in England, in the years from 1760 to 1830, precisely in those years the population of England doubled. ~ Ludwig Von Mises
1830 quotes by Ludwig Von Mises
The first pan-European peace organization was established in Geneva in 1830, but ~ Mark Kurlansky
1830 quotes by Mark Kurlansky
The people's government, made for the people, made by the people and answerable to the people.
January 1830 ~ Daniel Webster
1830 quotes by Daniel Webster
Since the time of Voltaire and two-chamber Government, which is at bottom simply distrust and personal self-examination, and gives the popular mind that bad habit of being suspicious, the Church of France seems to have realised that books are its real enemies. ~ Stendhal
1830 quotes by Stendhal
The summer of 1830 I ... blasted the tunnel through the rock to take water from the dam above the falls for the mill ... In 1831 we lowered the tunnel four feet, and built a new dam across the creek. ~ Ezra Cornell
1830 quotes by Ezra Cornell
The modern idea of testing a reader's "comprehension," as distinct from something else a reader may be doing, would have seemed an absurdity in 1790 or 1830 or 1860. What else was reading but comprehending? ~ Neil Postman
1830 quotes by Neil Postman
Seems Quotes «
» Anti Intellectualism Quotes