1960 S Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 1960 S.

Quotes About 1960 S

Enjoy collection of 32 1960 S quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 1960 S. Righ click to see and save pictures of 1960 S quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

The print was an old one made from a negative taken in the 1960's of her parents in Sydney Mines, dancing with thrilled, excited expressions on their faces, in front of a classic car that had been a wedding gift at the time. Her mother's hair, red back then, was held back by a blue handkerchief, and she was dressed in a billowing skirt and white blouse. Her father's denim jeans and faded t-shirt were streaked with coal dust as he held her hands and spun her around in the front yard of their old clapboard house, yellow grass under their feet and a cobalt-blue sky with white clouds drifting above. Mandy could almost feel the late summer breeze as she gazed deeply into the print, watching the flamboyant colors come to life. She hung it up to dry on two wooden clothespins hanging from a string above her. ~ Rebecca McNutt
1960 S quotes by Rebecca McNutt
Until now (1960, date of the first edition), the history of Black Africa has always been written with dates as dry as laundry lists, and no one has almost ever tried to find the key that unlocks the door to the intelligence, the understanding of African society. ~ Cheikh Anta Diop
1960 S quotes by Cheikh Anta Diop
Antananarivo is pronounced Tananarive, and for much of this century has been spelt that way as well. When the French took over Madagascar at the end of the last century (colonised is probably too kind a word for moving in on a country that was doing perfectly well for itself but which the French simply took a fancy to), they were impatient with the curious Malagasy habit of not bothering to pronounce the first and last syllables of place names. They decided, in their rational Gallic way, that if that was how the names were pronounced then they could damn well be spelt that way too. It would be rather as if someone had taken over England and told us that from now on we would be spelling Leicester 'Lester' and liking it. We might be forced to spell it that way, but we wouldn't like it, and neither did the Malagasy. As soon as they managed to divest themselves of French rule, in 1960, they promptly reinstated all the old spellings and just kept the cooking and the bureaucracy. ~ Douglas Adams
1960 S quotes by Douglas Adams
By 1960 work will be limited to three hours a day. ~ John Langdon-Davies
1960 S quotes by John Langdon-Davies
One of my favorite albums is Bob Gibson and Bob Camp, 'At the Gate of Horn.' It was a really dynamic album, almost like The Beatles, and way before its time ... around 1960 or so. ~ Roger McGuinn
1960 S quotes by Roger McGuinn
But in 1960, oncology was not yet ready for this proposal. Not until several years later did it strike the board that had fired Li so hastily that the patients he had treated with the prolonged maintenance strategy would never relapse. This strategy--which cost Min Chiu Li his job--resulted in the first chemotherapeutic cure of cancer in adults. ~ Siddhartha Mukherjee
1960 S quotes by Siddhartha Mukherjee
They feel guilty for having survived so they pretend the bad things never happened
Exodus (1960) screenplay ~ Dalton Trumbo
1960 S quotes by Dalton Trumbo
This is a magazine-reading country. When one comes back from abroad, the two displays of American abundance that dazzle one are the supermarkets and the newsstands. There are no British equivalents of our Midcult magazines like The Atlantic and the Saturday Review, or of our mass magazines like Life and The Saturday Evening Post and Look, or of our betwixt-&-between magazines like Esquire and The New Yorker (which also encroach on the Little Magazine area). There are, however, several big-circulation women's magazines, I suppose because the women's magazine is such an ancient and essential form of journalism that even the English dig it. - 1960 ~ Dwight Macdonald
1960 S quotes by Dwight Macdonald
I started writing seriously about 1960, at the fairly advanced age of 30. ~ Fred Saberhagen
1960 S quotes by Fred Saberhagen
In Freakonomics, we examined the causes of the rise and fall of violent crime in the United States. In 1960, crime began a sudden climb. By 1980, the homicide rate had doubled, reaching a historic peak. For several years crime stayed perilously high, but in the early 1990s it began to fall and kept falling. So what happened?
In Freakonomics, we identified one missing factor - the legalization of abortion in the early 1970s. The theory was jarring but simple. A rise in abortion meant that fewer unwanted children were being born, which meant fewer children growing up in the sort of difficult circumstances that increase the likelihood of criminality. ~ Steven D. Levitt
1960 S quotes by Steven D. Levitt
Mother of otherness,
Eat me.
--from "Poem for a Birthday - Who", written 1960 ~ Sylvia Plath
1960 S quotes by Sylvia Plath
If we are to begin to try and understand life as it will be in 1960,
we must begin by realizing that food, clothing and shelter will cost
as little as air ~ John Langdon-Davies
1960 S quotes by John Langdon-Davies
In 1960, just 5 percent of Republicans and 4 percent of Democrats said that they would feel "displeased" if their child married outside their political party.5 By 2010, those numbers had reached 49 and 33 percent, respectively - far higher than the percentage of people who would be "displeased" if their child married someone with a different skin color. ~ Cass R. Sunstein
1960 S quotes by Cass R. Sunstein
The pill" was first approved for prescription use in the United States in June 1960. By 1967, an estimated five million American women were taking the pills every month.4 ~ Nancy Howell Lee
1960 S quotes by Nancy Howell Lee
Since 1960, there have been more plastic syringes available than anyone could need. And yet, for the decades since then, WHO has done NOTHING to stop the spread of vicious diseases that result from the mass re-use of dirty needles. ~ Jon Rappoport
1960 S quotes by Jon Rappoport
The child mortality revolution has used vaccines, treatments for diarrhea, micronutrients, and improved nutrition to reduce the number of child deaths worldwide each year from 20 million in 1960 to 6.6 million today - even as the number of children has risen. ~ Nicholas D. Kristof
1960 S quotes by Nicholas D. Kristof
The history of the development of contemporary writing in Vancouver from 1946 to 1960 is pretty largely a one-man show, and that man was me. ~ Earle Birney
1960 S quotes by Earle Birney
A Conference Board survey released in January of 2010 found that only 45 percent of workers surveyed were happy at their jobs, the lowest in 22 years of polling.2 Depression rates today are ten times higher than they were in 1960.3 Every year the age threshold of unhappiness sinks lower, not just at universities but across the nation. Fifty years ago, the mean onset age of depression was 29.5 years old. Today, it is almost exactly half that: 14.5 years old. ~ Shawn Achor
1960 S quotes by Shawn Achor
Right up till the 1980s, SF envisioned giant mainframe computers that ran everything remotely, that ingested huge amounts of information and regurgitated it in startling ways, and that behaved (or were programmed to behave) very much like human beings ... Now we have 14-year-olds with more computing power on their desktops than existed in the entire world in 1960. But computers in fiction are still behaving in much the same way as they did in the Sixties. That's because in fiction [artificial intelligence] has to follow the laws of dramatic logic, just like human characters. ~ Walter Jon Williams
1960 S quotes by Walter Jon Williams
Half the time I feel like I'm appealing to the downer freaks out there. We start to play one downer record after another until I begin to get down myself. Give me something from 1960 or something; let me get up again. The music of today is for downer freaks, and I'm an upper. ~ Wolfman Jack
1960 S quotes by Wolfman Jack
But the Spain which emerged around 1960, beginning with its economic miracle, created by the invasion of tourists, can no longer result in impassioned dedication on the part of its intellectuals, and even less on the part of foreign intellectuals. ~ Juan Goytisolo
1960 S quotes by Juan Goytisolo
The most significant civil rights problem is voting. Each citizen's right to vote is fundamental to all the other rights of citizenship and the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1960 make it the responsibility of the Department of Justice to protect that right. ~ Robert Kennedy
1960 S quotes by Robert Kennedy
In 1960 I published a book that attempted to direct attention to the possibility of a thermonuclear war, to ways of reducing the likelihood of such a war, and to methods for coping with the consequences should war occur despite our efforts to avoid it. ~ Herman Kahn
1960 S quotes by Herman Kahn
The night before I began my career as a presidential campaign reporter, in September 2007, I finished Theodore White's 'The Making of the President,' the classic account of the 1960 race, which opened up a new era of campaign reporting. ~ Michael Hastings
1960 S quotes by Michael Hastings
If you do an interview in 1960, something it's bound to change by the year 2000. And if it doesn't, then there's something drastically wrong. ~ John Hurt
1960 S quotes by John Hurt
Having been aware of the Red Sox since the 1946 World Series, having been growled at by Ted Williams as a young reporter in 1960, having been present at the horror of 1986 and the comeback of 2004, I have seen the highs and lows of some other people's favorite team. ~ George Vecsey
1960 S quotes by George Vecsey
In 1960-61, a small group of female pilots went through many of the same medical tests as the Mercury astronauts and scored very well on them - in fact, better than some of the astronauts did. ~ Henry Spencer
1960 S quotes by Henry Spencer
I was born in 1960 into a more violent America than we had in 2014. We haven't been in such a good place for more than 50 years. ~ James Comey
1960 S quotes by James Comey
My father came to England from India in 1957, and my mum came in 1960. ~ Sanjeev Bhaskar
1960 S quotes by Sanjeev Bhaskar
I am delighted to be back home in Galway, the place I first came to as a 19-year-old in 1960. It's here where my heart is and will forever be. ~ Michael D. Higgins
1960 S quotes by Michael D. Higgins
The power to concentrate exists in everyone, but few people can concentrate sufficiently to drive a motor car with complete mastery in all circumstances.
Roadcraft The Police Driver's Manual, 1960 ~ Lesley Thomson
1960 S quotes by Lesley Thomson
Priscilla and I, and nine others, had been charged with
'disturbing the peace,' among other charges, because we tried to order food at Woolworth. If not for segregation, and the fact that we were all Negroes, we would have been served without incident. At our trial on March 17, 1960,
Judge John Rudd ruled that our lawyers should
'get off that race question.' ~ Patricia Stephens Due
1960 S quotes by Patricia Stephens Due
Relax Quotes «
» Arents Quotes