1920 S Architecture Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 1920 S Architecture.

Quotes About 1920 S Architecture

Enjoy collection of 32 1920 S Architecture quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 1920 S Architecture. Righ click to see and save pictures of 1920 S Architecture quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

Designed in a 'Pueblo Deco' style, which blends Mission with Art Deco influences, the DCA tower is a composite modeled after real Hollywood landmarks built in the 1920's; possible influences include the Hollywood Tower at 6200 Franklin Avenue, The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel at 7000 Hollywood Boulevard and the Chateau Marmont at 8221 Sunset Boulevard. ~ Leslie Le Mon
1920 S Architecture quotes by Leslie Le Mon
APOPHYGE (APO'PHYGE) n.s.[ flight, or escape.]Is, in architecture, that part of a column, where it begins to spring out of its base; and was originally no more than the ring or ferrel, which anciently bound the extremities of wooden pillars, to keep them from splitting, and were afterward imitated in stone work. We sometimes call it the spring of the column.Chambers. ~ Samuel Johnson
1920 S Architecture quotes by Samuel Johnson
A writer's will is the winds of dead calm in the Western Lands. Point way out he can start stirring of the sail. Writer, where are you going? To write. Here we are in texts already written on the sky. Where he doesn't need to write anymore. A slight seismic with the cat book. Always remember, the work is the mainsail to reach the Western Lands. The texts sing. Everything is grass and bushes, a desert or a maze of texts. Here you are ... never use the same door twice. Sky in all directions ... on the word for word. The word for word is word. The western sail stirs candles on 1920 country club table. Each page is a door to everything is permitted. The fragile lifeboat between this and that. Your words are the sails. ~ William S. Burroughs
1920 S Architecture quotes by William S. Burroughs
...go live happily alone requires a serious amount of intentional thought. It's not as simple as signing the lease on your own apartment and leaving it at that. You must figure out what you need to feel comfortable at home and in the world, no matter your means (indeed, staying within your means), and arrange your life accordingly--a metaphorical architecture. ~ Kate Bolick
1920 S Architecture quotes by Kate Bolick
Second letter: Embrace your fear

What holds us back in life is the invisible architecture of fear. It keeps us in our comfort zones, which are, in truth, the least safe place in which to live. Indeed the greatest risk in life is taking no risk. But every time we do that which we fear , we take back the power that fear has stolen from us - for on the other side of fear lives our strength. Every time we step into the discomfort of growth and progress, we become more free. The more fears we walk through, the more power we reclaim. In this way, we grow both fearless and powerful, and thus are able to live the lives of our dreams. ~ Robin S. Sharma
1920 S Architecture quotes by Robin S. Sharma
An artist, he paints with lakes and wooded slopes, with lawns and banks and forest-covered hills. - Daniel Burnham talking about Frederick Law Olmstead ~ Erik Larson
1920 S Architecture quotes by Erik Larson
The World's Fair was the precursor to theme parks like Disneyworld, and the really sort of cheap, superficial promotional architecture that you see everywhere in the U.S. I think there's a danger when you start creating a civilisation that isn't meant to last. ~ Sufjan Stevens
1920 S Architecture quotes by Sufjan Stevens
I wanted a real profession. And I'd always been interested in architecture and in design and in, really, what makes things work. And understanding what's kind of behind the walls and why things stand up and some things don't. ~ S.J. Rozan
1920 S Architecture quotes by S.J. Rozan
Doom," Madame Luna whispers, "but of the most beautiful kind. ~ Ilse V. Rensburg
1920 S Architecture quotes by Ilse V. Rensburg
I stood in the center of the Pantheon under the massive oculus, boiling. It was noon and the sun was right overhead, blinding everyone in the room.
"Not incredibly practical to cut a hole in the roof if you ask me," I deadpanned to the ten-year-old beside me.
She sighed heavily and rolled her eyes, walking away with Architecture of the Italian Renaissance shoved underneath her arm. Very cultured, these kids today. ~ R.S. Grey
1920 S Architecture quotes by R.S. Grey
His office was a spider's lair of silver thread and tempting promises, a page out of Power Architecture Magazine. The dean copied the design from President Lyndon Johnson's old senate office. The room narrowed toward his desk, an architectural device that channeled all eyes toward the dean, and his chair was slightly elevated, forcing visitors to look up. The two visitors' chairs were both lowered and oversized, making each guest feel like a child, swimming in too much chair. His architect had assured him it was a subliminal masterpiece. ~ Michael Ben Zehabe
1920 S Architecture quotes by Michael Ben Zehabe
In America access is always about architecture and never about human beings. Among Israelis and Palestinians, access was rarely about anything but people. While in the U.S. a wheelchair stands out as an explicitly separate experience from the mainstream, in the Israel and Arab worlds it is just another thing that can go wrong in a place where things go wrong all the time. ~ John Hockenberry
1920 S Architecture quotes by John Hockenberry
As it recurred again and again, it set me thinking of what my architect's books say about the custom in early times to consecrate the choir as soon as it was built, and that the nave, being finished sometimes half a century later, often did not get any blessing at all: I wondered idly if that had been the case at St. Barnabe, and whether something not usually supposed to be at home in a Christian church, might have entered undetected, and taken possession of the west gallery. I had read of such things happening too, but not in works on architecture.
("In The Court Of The Dragon") ~ Robert W. Chambers
1920 S Architecture quotes by Robert W. Chambers
Let us then understand at once that change or variety is as much a necessity to the human heart and brain in buildings as in books; that there is no merit, though there is some occasional use, in monotony; and that we must no more expect to derive either pleasure or profit from an architecture whose ornaments are of one pattern, and whose pillars are of one proportion, than we should of a universe in which the clouds were all of one shape, and the trees all of one shape. ~ John Ruskin
1920 S Architecture quotes by John Ruskin
Marble, I perceive, covers a multitude of sins. ~ Aldous Huxley
1920 S Architecture quotes by Aldous Huxley
There are those who say further that these are meer Dreames and no true Relations, but I say back to them: look upon my Churches in the Spittle-fields, in Limehouse, and now in the Parish of Wapping Stepney, and do you not wonder why they lead you into a darker World which on Reflection you know to be your own? Every Patch of Ground by them has its Hypochondriack Distemper and Disorder; every Stone of them bears the marks of Scorching by which you may follow the true Path of God. ~ Peter Ackroyd
1920 S Architecture quotes by Peter Ackroyd
Modern architecture does not mean the use of immature new materials; the main thing is to refine materials in a more human direction. ~ Alvar Aalto
1920 S Architecture quotes by Alvar Aalto
Architecture is the beginning of something because it's - if you're not involved in first principles, if you're not involved in the absolute, the beginning of that generative process, it's cake decoration. ~ Thom Mayne
1920 S Architecture quotes by Thom Mayne
I didn't realize Toronto was so beautiful. Everywhere you go you see beautiful architecture. ~ Kevin Costner
1920 S Architecture quotes by Kevin Costner
The demolishment of the power of organized Christianity in the Western world to finally realize the emancipation of women and give them the vote in 1920. Women couldn't even own property in their own names until the last quarter of the 19th century in America. ~ John Shelby Spong
1920 S Architecture quotes by John Shelby Spong
This place was not like the Victorian Prisons of England with their imposing red-brick and neo-gothic architecture that was supposed to impress inmates with the power of the state;no, this place looked cobbled together, shoddy and temporary and the only thing it impressed upon you was how current British policy on Ireland was dominated by short-term thinking. ~ Adrian McKinty
1920 S Architecture quotes by Adrian McKinty
People need foundation myths, some imprint of year zero, a bolt that secures the scaffolding that in turn holds fast the entire architecture of reality, of time: memory-chambers and oblivion-cellars, walls between eras, hallways that sweep us on towards the end-days and the coming whatever-it-is. We see things shroudedly, as through a veil, an over-pixellated screen. When the shapeless plasma takes on form and resolution, like a fish approaching us through murky waters or an image looming into view from noxious liquid in a darkroom, when it begins to coalesce into a figure that's discernible, if ciphered, we can say: This is it, stirring, looming even if it isn't really, if it's all just ink-blots. ~ Tom McCarthy
1920 S Architecture quotes by Tom McCarthy
Experimental architecture by its very nature is more prone to the depredations of time and natural elements than buildings made from conventional materials through traditional methods. Avant-garde architects often simply do not know how the products of their imagination will perform when implemented, especially if untested components are involved. ~ Martin Filler
1920 S Architecture quotes by Martin Filler
It shows a mediocre architect at the top of his game [on the Beetham Tower in Manchester] ~ Owen Hatherley
1920 S Architecture quotes by Owen Hatherley
We are bored in the city, to still discover mysteries on the signs along the street, latest state of humor and poetry, requires getting damned tired...

Gilles Ivain (aka Ivan Chtcheglov) ~ Tom McDonough
1920 S Architecture quotes by Tom McDonough
There's no architect who doesn't want to build a library - and I am no different. With so much scrutiny now attached to reading - because of technology and how we approach it as a social activity - that is a very exciting area in architecture. ~ Annabelle Selldorf
1920 S Architecture quotes by Annabelle Selldorf
Form ever follows function. ~ Louis Sullivan
1920 S Architecture quotes by Louis Sullivan
When you have rules to abide by, does that curtail you as a designer, or set you free? People think of classical architecture visually, but I think the brilliant part of it is actually spatial. ~ Annabelle Selldorf
1920 S Architecture quotes by Annabelle Selldorf
Architecture is a political act, by nature. It has to do with the relationships between people and how they decide to change their conditions of living. ~ Lebbeus Woods
1920 S Architecture quotes by Lebbeus Woods
Cities and landscapes are illustrations of our spiritual and material worth. They not only express our values but give them a tangible reality. They determine the way in which we use or squander our energy, time, and land resources. ~ Leon Krier
1920 S Architecture quotes by Leon Krier
You look at the steamboat, the railroad, the car, the airplane - not all of these were invented in the Anglo-American world, but they were popularized and extended by it. They were made possible by the financial architecture, the capital intensive operations invented and developed by the Anglo-Americans. ~ Walter Russell Mead
1920 S Architecture quotes by Walter Russell Mead
Architecture is what nature cannot make.
Architecture is something unnatural but not something made up. ~ Louis Kahn
1920 S Architecture quotes by Louis Kahn
Intimacy Quotes «
» Disney S California Adventure Quotes