88 Short Stories Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 88 Short Stories.

Quotes About 88 Short Stories

Enjoy collection of 55 88 Short Stories quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 88 Short Stories. Righ click to see and save pictures of 88 Short Stories quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

There are two races on earth. Those who need others, who are distracted, occupied and refreshed by others, who are worried, exhausted and unnerved by solitude as by the ascension of a terrible glacier or the crossing of a desert; and those, on the other hand, who are wearied, bored, embarrassed, utterly fatigued by others, while isolation calms them, and the detachment and imaginative activity of their minds bathes them in peace. ~ Guy De Maupassant
88 Short Stories quotes by Guy De Maupassant
His life had gone by without adventures, without passions, almost without hopes. The facility of dreaming, planted in every man, had never blossomed in the narrow bed of his ambitions. ~ Guy De Maupassant
I should add that there are undoubtedly charming Englishmen; I have often met them. But they are rarely our fellow-guests at hotels. ~ Guy De Maupassant
O sleep! ridiculous mystery which makes faces appear so grotesque, you are the revealer of human ugliness. You uncover all shortcomings, all deformities and all defects. You turn every face touched by you into a caricature. ~ Guy De Maupassant
For some years he had felt weighing on him the burden of loneliness which sometimes overwhelms old bachelors. He had been strong, active and cheerful, spending his days in sport, and his evenings in amusement. Now he was growing dull, and no longer took interest in anything. Exercise tired him, suppers and even dinners made him ill, while women bored him as much as they had once amused him. ~ Guy De Maupassant
He himself was one of your noisy roisterers, for whom life holds no greater pleasures than wine and bought women. Outside these two poles of existence, he understood nothing. Braggart, brawler, contemptuous of every living person, he despised the whole world from the heights of his ignorance. ~ Guy De Maupassant
I decided to write short stories because they got rejected quicker. ~ Caroline B. Cooney
88 Short Stories quotes by Caroline B. Cooney
Then why are you still here?" I ask. I stand up and her gun follows me. I welcome its bullets just to see if I could survive.
"Masochism."
"I don't know what that means."
"It means I like my own pain."
"That doesn't make sense."
"I'm human. You think we ever make sense? ~ Tessa Maurer
88 Short Stories quotes by Tessa Maurer
When the radio was on, music has stimulated memory of times and places, complete with characters and stage sets, memories so exact that every word of dialogue is recreated. And I have projected future scenes, just as complete and convincing
scenes that will never take place. I've written short stories in my mind, chuckling at my own humor, saddened or stimulated by structure or content. ~ John Steinbeck
88 Short Stories quotes by John Steinbeck
I had a story-telling mother; she's written novels and short stories. So I feel like maybe I'm staying alive by telling tales. ~ Ayshay
88 Short Stories quotes by Ayshay
When you want to say something very important, tell it with a short sentence! There is no time for long stories! ~ Mehmet Murat Ildan
88 Short Stories quotes by Mehmet Murat Ildan
Soon I find myself squatting on the floor. I am still striking my face; not with my fists this time, but with wide-open hands. I am slapping myself. The sounds I make when my palms meet my cheeks are like an unrelenting round of applause. I am clapping myself. Or clapping for myself. I start to giggle.

All the voices are receding now. I am no longer filled with rage or disappointment. I clap and clap and simply cannot stop. ~ Cyril Wong
88 Short Stories quotes by Cyril Wong
Before he could decide what to do, he heard a female voice call out, "Pepe? Mack?"
Pepe recognized the voice as belonging to Senora Rodriguez. No, Senora Thompson. There'd been a wedding in late summer. He hurried out to the main part of the barn to see what she wanted.
Senora Thompson stood just inside the entrance, holding the reins of her mare, Bianca, a black beauty with four white stockings and a blaze down her nose her husband had given her after their marriage. ~ Debra Holland
88 Short Stories quotes by Debra Holland
He cupped her face and held her still, as he looked into her brown eyes; she was all flash and no bang. She talked big, but when it came down to it, she was a simple girl. ~ Elaine White
88 Short Stories quotes by Elaine White

It wasn't Glen's jealousy that surprised him. "You owe Roy money?"
"Yep. Borrowed it to get my truck painted."
"Roy's a loan shark, too?"
"You ever see JAWS?" Snakebite asked.
Glen said he had.
"How 'bout THE GODFATHER?"
"Yeah."
"Well, if Michael Corleone waded out in the ocean and fucked that shark, then you'd have old Roy."
from the Tom Franklin short story "Grit" (page 31) from POACHERS:STORIES ~ Tom Franklin
88 Short Stories quotes by Tom Franklin
Steve's throat swelled with tension as the intimacy of the moment became more tangible. He moved his eyes from the dark, reflective river, to the dark, reflective pupils in Diane's eyes. They seemed to quiver with tenderness - but then they would grow distant. He found himself continually surprised at the "aliveness" of the person standing just a foot away from him now. She wasn't inanimate: she would flinch if he pinched her, and answer if he asked her. And she was beautiful."
From "The Grand Unified Story"
a short story in Zack Love's Stories and Scripts: an Anthology ~ Zack Love
88 Short Stories quotes by Zack Love
In between bites of banana, Mr. Remora would tell stories, and the children would write the stories down in notebooks, and every so often there would be a test. The stories were very short, and there were a whole lot of them on every conceivable subject. "One day I went to the store to purchase a carton of milk," Mr. Remora would say, chewing on a banana. "When I got home, I poured the milk into a glass and drank it. Then I watched television. The end." Or: "One afternoon a man named Edward got into a green truck and drove to a farm. The farm had geese and cows. The end." Mr. Ramora would tell story after story, and eat banana after banana, and it would get more and more difficult for Violet to pay attention. ~ Lemony Snicket
88 Short Stories quotes by Lemony Snicket
Night had fallen, and Diane admired the deep sky behind Steve's calm countenance. They looked into each other's eyes again and felt the spark and excitement of discovery. As if to celebrate the perfect, life-enabling distance of the earth from the sun, Diane and Steve kissed again."
"-The Grand Unified Story (a Short Story) from Stories and Scripts: an Anthology ~ Zack Love
88 Short Stories quotes by Zack Love
The end of all stories, even if the writer forebears to mention it, is death, which is where time stops short. Sheherezade knew this, which is why she kept on spinning another story out of the bowels of the last one, never coming to a point where she could say: "This is the end." Because it would have been. ~ Angela Carter
88 Short Stories quotes by Angela Carter
Thank you," said Lee's voice. "And now we turn to regular contributor Royal, for an update on how the new Wizarding order is affecting the Muggle world."
"Thanks, River," said an unmistakable voice, deep, measured, reassuring.
"Kingsley!" burst out Ron.
"We know!" said Hermione, hushing him.
"Muggles remain ignorant of the source of their suffering as they continue to sustain heavy casualties," said Kingsley. "However, we continue to hear truly inspirational stories of wizards and witches risking their own safety to protect Muggle friends and neighbors, often without the Muggles' knowledge. I'd like to appeal to all our listeners to emulate their example, perhaps by casting a protective charm over any Muggle dwellings in your street. Many lives could be saved if such simple measures are taken."
"And what would you say, Royal, to those listeners who reply that in these dangerous times, it should be 'Wizards first'?" asked Lee.
"I'd say that it's one short step from 'Wizards first' to 'Purebloods first,' and then to 'Death Eaters,'" replied Kingsley. "We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving."
"Excellently put, Royal, and you've got my vote for Minister of Magic if ever we get out of this mess," said Lee. "And now, over to Romulus for our popular feature 'Pals of Potter.'"
"Thanks, River," said another very familiar voice; Ron started to speak, but Hermione forestalled him in a whisper.
"We kno ~ J.K. Rowling
88 Short Stories quotes by J.K. Rowling
Sometimes I help him out and sometimes he helps me out, and sometimes he tries to push me through the wall. (Dark City Lights) ~ Parnell Hall
88 Short Stories quotes by Parnell Hall
The road is messy in the way that real life is messy. It leads us out of denial and into reality, out of theory and into practice, out of caution and into action, out of statistics and into stories - in short, out of our heads and into our hearts. ~ Gloria Steinem
88 Short Stories quotes by Gloria Steinem
The truth is that the writers who most influenced me weren't people categorized as crime writers. I'd say I learned more from John O'Hara, who isn't much read today but whose short stories I really admired, and Hemingway, who I think has lasted pretty good. ~ Elmore Leonard
88 Short Stories quotes by Elmore Leonard
You create your own reality. ~ Seth
88 Short Stories quotes by Seth
Yes, we could talk to you for days on end about all the bad first dates. Those are stories. Funny stories. Awkward stories. Stories we love to share, because by sharing them, we get something out of the hour or two we wasted on the wrong person. But that's all bad first dates are: short stories. Good first dates are more than short stories. They are first chapters. On a good first date, everything is springtime.
And when a good first date becomes a relationship, the springtime lingers. Even after it's over, there can be springtime. ~ David Levithan
88 Short Stories quotes by David Levithan
I was well traveled, and I created this illusion of literacy through reading and writing. I wrote a book of short stories. ~ Tom T. Hall
88 Short Stories quotes by Tom T. Hall
Thank you father, thank you. I know you watched me from above and protected me. I promise I shall serve the Magnarian Confederation with all my body and soul. I shall dedicate myself fully to our confederation, the family that you so loved. And I love it too. I shall protect, love and respect it always. This is my promise and commitment. Thank you ~ Chayada Welljaipet
88 Short Stories quotes by Chayada Welljaipet
There was is Arthur Nicholls much to recommend him to Charlotte Bronte, not least of which was the disparity between surface and soul, and it might be argued that Mr. Nicholls was the hidden gem of the two. Behind a veneer of quiet, ladylike demeanor, Charlotte concealed an acerbic mind and ruthlessly harsh opions on the weaknesses of the human species. Arthur, on the other hand, was the blustery, bigoted sort who could barely open his mouth without offending someone. Yet when the gloves came off, he had a great and tender heart, and was capable of love that would bear all wrongs, endure all tempests - in short, the very stuff that Charlotte took great pains to fabricate in her stories and that she was convinced she would never find. ~ Juliet Gael
88 Short Stories quotes by Juliet Gael
An admirable line of Pablo Neruda's, "My creatures are born of a long denial," seems to me the best definition of writing as a kind of exorcism, casting off invading creatures by projecting them into universal existence, keeping them on the other side of the bridge ... It may be exaggerating to say that all completely successful short stories, especially fantastic stories, are products of neurosis, nightmares or hallucination neutralized through objectification and translated to a medium outside the neurotic terrain. This polarization can be found in any memorable short story, as if the author, wanting to rid himself of his creature as soon and as absolutely as possible, exorcises it the only way he can: by writing it. ~ Julio Cortazar
88 Short Stories quotes by Julio Cortazar
Faith is a capacity of the spirit. It is like talent: you have to be born with it. ~ Anton Chekhov
88 Short Stories quotes by Anton Chekhov
Children can't help but create: they need to put their mind on the page, they want to paint, to sculpt, to write short stories. ~ Jonah Lehrer
88 Short Stories quotes by Jonah Lehrer
'The Blade Itself' was my first book. Probably I should've tried a few short stories first, but for some reason I decided to begin with Everest. ~ Joe Abercrombie
88 Short Stories quotes by Joe Abercrombie
I first read [Wendell Berry] short-story collections, "Fidelity" and then "Watch with Me." They just knocked my socks off. The characters and the fellowship of the small town reminded me of my own small town in Illinois.Then I discovered that, much like J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, that all of Berry's fiction was centered in this same town. ~ Nick Offerman
88 Short Stories quotes by Nick Offerman
These short stories establish Sontag's originality ... her unique vision, her success with experiments in the form ... Sontag makes a wonderful stew of the past, the life caught in memory and imagination, serves it all up lavishly laced with silences, and provides us with a gourmand's series of short courses. ~ Doris Grumbach
88 Short Stories quotes by Doris Grumbach
I read more than I had in years-novels, short stories, three long nonfiction books about how we had stumbled into the Iraq mess (the short answer appeared to have W for a middle initial and a dick for a Vice President). ~ Stephen King
88 Short Stories quotes by Stephen King
My show is sort of a short-film anthology, and I'm able to tell little stories that don't necessarily carry a whole episode in terms of narrative. I like the audience not being sure what they're getting. I think it's more fun to watch something when you're discovering it as you go along. ~ Louis C.K.
88 Short Stories quotes by Louis C.K.
Lost Cactus is simply an urban myth. ~ John Hopkins
88 Short Stories quotes by John Hopkins
I also fell in love with Borges. He is a mathematician's writer. His short stories are like mathematical proofs, delicately constructed and with ideas laced together effortlessly. Each step is taken with precision and watertight logic, yet the narrative is full of surprising twists and turns. ~ Marcus Du Sautoy
88 Short Stories quotes by Marcus Du Sautoy
Some people become an integral part of our lives; others are ships that pass in the night. Short stories, in fact. My ~ Ruskin Bond
88 Short Stories quotes by Ruskin Bond
I write as a matter of need - seven books and God knows how many short stories before anyone published me. ~ Jonathan Evison
88 Short Stories quotes by Jonathan Evison
The exhausted earth groaned and quivered under the monotonous glare of the sun. Spirals of heat rose from the ground as if from molten lava. A panting lizard crawled painfully over the fevered rock in search of a shady crevice. Cattle and dogs cringed under the scanty shade of the trees and waited for the rain to deliver them from the heat and thirst. Instead the heat grew more intense and oppressive each day, singeing and stifling all living things with an invisible sheet of fire, which only the rain could put out.

The drought had persisted for over a month. ~ S. Rajaratnam
88 Short Stories quotes by S. Rajaratnam
A good [short story] would take me out of myself and then stuff me back in, outsized, now, and uneasy with the fit. ~ David Sedaris
88 Short Stories quotes by David Sedaris
Life is too short, dare to enjoy every minute.
Life is too short, dare to love everybody.
Life is too short, dare to make best of it.
Life is too short, dare to have a grateful heart.
Life is too short, dare to keep smiling.
Life is too short, dare to have no regrets.
Life is too short, dare to have no heartbreaks.
Life is too short, dare to extend hand to needy people.
Life is too short, dare to fight injustice.
Life is too short, dare to be all you can be.
Life is too short, dare to tell the truth at all times.
Life is too short, dare to see the world.
Life is too short, dare to forgive and forget.
Life is too short, dare to waste no time.
Life is too short, dare to burn no bridges.
Life is too short, dare to be more brave than weak.
Life is too short, dare to prioritize things of importance.
Life is too short, dare to spend your time with those who you care.
Life is too short, dare to be around people who believe in you.
Life is too short, dare to share your stories with others.
Life is too short, dare to do things you enjoy most.
Life is too short, dare to start your day with a positive attitude.
Life is too short, dare to live your life with a purpose.
Life is too short, dare to be surrounded by people who share your dreams.
Life is too short, dare to go to places you feel most excited about.
Life is too short, dare to love like there is no tomorro ~ John Taskinsoy
88 Short Stories quotes by John Taskinsoy
I'm only a novelist on occasion. Many of my books are made up of brief texts collected together, short stories, or else they are books that have an overall structure but are composed of various texts. ~ Italo Calvino
88 Short Stories quotes by Italo Calvino
Tom Kealey might be my favorite short story writer and this astonishing collection is long overdue. ~ Stephen Elliott
88 Short Stories quotes by Stephen Elliott
I can't understand how a man who seems never to read imaginative writing of any kind (novels, poetry, short stories, high-brow, middle-brow, low-brow, anything) can understand life, people, the world. I don't care if ordinary people read or not. It's not for me to say how people should live. But people who have power over me? I want them to read because their limited, impoverished dreams may become my nightmares. ~ Yann Martel
88 Short Stories quotes by Yann Martel
I've always been ambidextrous, writing short stories and novels, and I pretty much have been writing a novel and a handful of short stories every year since '91. ~ Catherine Ryan Hyde
88 Short Stories quotes by Catherine Ryan Hyde
With short stories, you can always see the whole, but it's just so hard to get everything you want into that small form. ~ Rebecca Makkai
88 Short Stories quotes by Rebecca Makkai
Robert Louis Stevenson ... I'm focusing on the late short stories that I was ignorant of. I always thought he was a boys' author, but he's not at all. ~ Jane Birkin
88 Short Stories quotes by Jane Birkin
Every individual is an author in himself. It is only that he falls short of words to express; list of stories. ~ Aniruddha Sastikar
88 Short Stories quotes by Aniruddha Sastikar
I think I succeeded as a writer because I did not come out of an English department. I used to write in the chemistry department. And I wrote some good stuff. If I had been in the English department, the prof would have looked at my short stories, congratulated me on my talent, and then showed me how Joyce or Hemingway handled the same elements of the short story. The prof would have placed me in competition with the greatest writers of all time, and that would have ended my writing career. ~ Kurt Vonnegut
88 Short Stories quotes by Kurt Vonnegut
God, he was an evil bastard, but boy was he good! ~ MFR
88 Short Stories quotes by MFR
Even when she was alive, Esther Kreitman's novels, short stories and translations received far less attention than the work of her famous brothers, I. J. and Isaac Bashevis Singer. ~ Clive Sinclair
88 Short Stories quotes by Clive Sinclair
Paoletta turned to him with a dark face.
You'd better watch out, Chase. He's passed over to the evil side. ~ Stefania Mattana
88 Short Stories quotes by Stefania Mattana
Do you mind?" she asked.
"Mind what?"
"While you were looking in the mirror I couldn't help myself and I began fantasizing about you. And I figured if I was going to continue to fantasize about you, the only polite thing to do was to ask your permission. So now I'm doing the polite thing again and asking, 'do you mind?'"
"No, Nina. I don't mind at all."
Then she leaned down and kissed him. ~ Richard Finney
88 Short Stories quotes by Richard Finney
88 Minuites Quotes «
» A Traveller S Notes Quotes