86 Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 86.

Quotes About 86

Enjoy collection of 100 86 quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 86. Righ click to see and save pictures of 86 quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

temperature is less than 86 degrees Fahrenheit. They ~ Ellie Potter
86 quotes by Ellie Potter
My grandmother died in 1991 and I was born in '86. We only met once, but I didn't speak English and she didn't speak Spanish - so we had a communication problem. ~ Oona Chaplin
86 quotes by Oona Chaplin
full of mercy toward everyone who calls out to you. Psalm 86:5 ~ Dianne Neal Matthews
86 quotes by Dianne Neal Matthews
If you achieve good results using a poor method, isn't that a much greater achievement than starting from better methods. - Rider ~ Gen Urobuchi
86 quotes by Gen Urobuchi
The fixed idea may also be perceived as 'maxim', 'principle', 'standpoint', and the like. Archimedes,86 to move the earth, asked for a standpoint outside it. Men sought continually for this standpoint, and every one seized upon it as well as he was able. This foreign standpoint is the world oj mind, of ideas, thoughts, concepts, essences; it is heaven. Heaven is the 'standpoint' from which the earth is moved, earthly doings surveyed and - despised. To assure to themselves heaven, to occupy the heavenly standpoint firmly and for ever - how painfully and tirelessly humanity struggled for this! ~ Max Stirner
86 quotes by Max Stirner
At 86, I can easily look back to the last eight decades. Though memory often fails me now, so many images of the past are still clearly polished, and I can yet recall not just an abiding sense of place, but the keen smells, the sensory responses to the events of that past. ~ F. Sionil Jose
86 quotes by F. Sionil Jose
I'm 86 and my doctor used to tell me to slow down - at least he did until he dropped dead. ~ Cesar Romero
86 quotes by Cesar Romero
Bizarrely funny ... Rarely is a documentary as well attuned to its subject as Howard Brookner's BURROUGHS, which captures as much about the life, work and sensibility of its subject as its 86 minute format allows. ~ Janet Maslin
86 quotes by Janet Maslin
God gave you a gift of 86 400 seconds today. Have you used one to say thank you ~ William Arthur Ward
86 quotes by William Arthur Ward
I think it was 1987 - something like that - or '86, and I thought, 'When you go equity and you're gonna get paid, you'll finally be able to make a living.' But it was not to be so. I always bartended and waited tables so I ended up not doing theater for about a year because nobody would hire me. ~ Denis O'Hare
86 quotes by Denis O'Hare
Do not, I beg of you, dampen today's sun with the showers of tomorrow. - Emperor Nick Chopper (The Tin Woodsman) -The Marvellous Land Of Oz by L. Frank Baum pg 86 chapter 11 ~ L. Frank Baum
86 quotes by L. Frank Baum
What were you asleep? Helen would say as I opened the door. "I've been up since five." In her hand would be aluminum tray covered with foil, either that or a saucepan with a lid on it.
"Well," I'd tell her, "I didn't go to bed until three."
"I didn't go to bed until three thirty."
This was how it was with her: If you got fifteen minutes of sleep, she got only ten. If you had a cold, she had the flu. If you'd dodged a bullet, she'd dodged five. Blindfolded. After my mother's funeral, I remember her greeting me with "So what? My mother died when I was half your age."
"Gosh," I said. "Thing of everything she missed."
pgs. 86-87 ~ David Sedaris
86 quotes by David Sedaris
In our hunger for guidance, we were ordinary. The American Freshman Survey, which has followed students since 1966, proves the point. One prompt in the questionnaire asks entering freshmen about "objectives considered to be essential or very important." In 1967, 86 percent of respondents checked "developing a meaningful philosophy of life," more than double the number who said "being very well off financially." Naturally, students looked to professors for moral and worldly understanding. Since then, though, finding meaning and making money have traded places. The first has plummeted to 45 percent; the second has soared to 82 percent. ~ Anonymous
86 quotes by Anonymous
Sometimes I only pretend I don't know what to do, because I don't want to do it. ~ Anne Bogel
86 quotes by Anne Bogel
Petersburg was the kind of town people missed if they sneezed.
Armentrout, Jennifer (2012-09-18). Cursed (p. 86). Midpoint Trade Books. Kindle Edition. ~ Jennifer L. Armentrout
86 quotes by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Each one of us has such a bank. It's called TIME. Every morning it credits you with 86,400 seconds. And every night it writes off as lost whatever you have failed to invest wisely. It carries no balance. It allows no overdraft. Each day it opens a new account for you. If you fail to use the day's deposit, the loss is yours. ~ Chris Hermes
86 quotes by Chris Hermes
. . . I understand that I was writing (recording) as well as seeking to right (to rectify) the wrong, and now, as I retell the tale, I realize that 'I am still at the same subject' still engaged in the same fearful and fierce activity–writing and seeking to right a mortal wrong. (86-87) ~ Sandra M. Gilbert
86 quotes by Sandra M. Gilbert
Now we get to the Karma thing: You make yourself so vulnerable by not tipping well or treating people in the service industry with respect. Not only is it wrong to treat another human being like that, but there's a practical consideration: They're standing between you and eating. Without waiters, nothing comes to your table and nothing goes away. Aren't you worried that they'll put rat poison in your food, or at least spit in it? pages 86-87 ~ Tim Gunn
86 quotes by Tim Gunn
Pour out your heart to Jesus. He promises to answer (Psalm 86:7). He promises to never leave you or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5). ~ CCEF
86 quotes by CCEF
We were the best team in the world: European champions in 1984, we qualified without a hitch and 86 was to be the swan song for a very experienced side. ~ Michel Patini
86 quotes by Michel Patini
It won't do to be afraid of failure. Failure is the mother of success; a long journey begins from the ground beneath his feet. ~ Gen Urobuchi
86 quotes by Gen Urobuchi
This bicovenantal nature of God's plan for redemption is important in theonomy's argument that there is one moral law revelaed in Scripture and this one moral law governs all men. Theonomy makes a clear distinction between the moral law and ceremonial aspects of God's law. This distinction is *covenantal* in nature, and explains how theonomy maintains basic continuity in biblical ethics from the Old to New Testaments, while advocating discontinuity between the Testaments in terms of ceremonies, certain aspects of public worship, and other select forms of covenant life. ~ William O. Einwechter
86 quotes by William O. Einwechter
Practically overnight the budgets of federal law enforcement agencies soared. Between 1980 and 1984, FBI antidrug funding increased from $8 million to $95 million.73 Department of Defense antidrug allocations increased from $33 million in 1981 to $1,042 million in 1991. During that same period, DEA antidrug spending grew from $86 to $1,026 million, and FBI antidrug allocations grew from $38 to $181 million.74 By contrast, funding for agencies responsible for drug treatment, prevention, and education was dramatically reduced. The budget of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, for example, was reduced from $274 million to $57 million from 1981 to 1984, and antidrug funds allocated to the Department of Education were cut from $14 million to $3 million.75 ~ Michelle Alexander
86 quotes by Michelle Alexander
In that small town of old women and angry men;
They teach girls how to speak in a lower tone
How to nod their heads and not dare to say no.
They teach them not to walk alone in empty streets.
They give them hundreds of rules for how to love, live and even dream.
They color their worlds in black and white; so that they couldn't paint ones in their own.
And those who dare to ask questions, to argue, to refuse and change!
They have been called hoes, bitches and men wanna be
Disobedience; that's what they call it in my society ….. ~ Samiha Totanji
86 quotes by Samiha Totanji
All I can tell you is what I see at home- a lot of lessons learned from '86. That, 'OK, we'll go one-time amnesty and after that we'll really be good.' But nobody believes it this time, nobody believes it. ~ Michael C. Burgess
86 quotes by Michael C. Burgess
You beefed cause you heard that I was cursing in my raps, 86, still you wanna run and get the straps. ~ LL Cool J
86 quotes by LL Cool J
It is not money that is been jeopardized on daily basis, it is actually 86,400 seconds of your life. You are given that amount of life every day in time not in money. ~ Sunday Adelaja
86 quotes by Sunday Adelaja
1 in 3 Native women will be raped in her lifetime (and that figure is certainly higher as Native women often do not report rape); 86 percent of rapes and sexual assaults upon Native women are perpetrated by non-Native men; few are prosecuted. ~ Louise Erdrich
86 quotes by Louise Erdrich
ἄφες καὶ ἀφεθήσεταί σοι, βιαζομένης
ὥσπερ τῆς ἐντολῆς εἰς σωτηρίαν δι' ὑπερβολὴν ἀγαθότητος.

'Forgive, and it shall be forgiven you'; the commandment, as it were, compelling people to salvation, out of a superabundance of goodness. (Strom. 7.14.86.6) ~ Clement Of Alexandria
86 quotes by Clement Of Alexandria
He invited people to sign a petition that demanded either strict control of, or a total ban on, dihydrogen monoxide ... Yes, 86 percent of the passersby voted to ban water (H2O) from the environment. Maybe that's what really happened to all the water on Mars. ~ Neil DeGrasse Tyson
86 quotes by Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Only 13.7% of churches in America are consider multiethnic. This means that 86.3 % of churches are homogenous. ~ Derwin L. Gray
86 quotes by Derwin L. Gray
If we don't have a more serious energy policy, the difference between a good day and bad day for America from here on will hinge on how the 86-year-old king of Saudi Arabia manages ... change. ~ Thomas Friedman
86 quotes by Thomas Friedman
Even after a peak parenting experience, children never transition to a fully self-tuning physiology. Adults remain social animals: they continue to require a source of stabilization outside themselves. That open-loop design means that in some important ways, people cannot be stable on their own - not should or shouldn't be, but can't be. This prospect is disconcerting to many, especially in a society that prizes individuality as ours does. Total self-sufficiency turns out to be a daydream whose bubble is burst by the sharp edge of the limbic brain. Stability means finding people who regulate you well and staying near them. (86) ~ Thomas Lewis
86 quotes by Thomas Lewis
I am confident - and you may call me an idealist and dreamer - I am confident that sooner or later we shall fit these Personal Hours as well into the general formula. Some day these 86,400 seconds will also be on the Table of Hours! I have read and heard many incredible things about the times when people still lived in a free - meaning unorganized and savage - condition. And what seems most incredible to me, is that the state authority of that time - no matter how rudimentary it was - could have allowed people to live without something similar to our Table. Without obligatory walks, without exact regulation of mealtimes, getting up and going to bed whenever they felt like it ... Some ~ Yevgeny Zamyatin
86 quotes by Yevgeny Zamyatin
The greatest forces lie in the region of the uncomprehended. ~ George MacDonald
86 quotes by George MacDonald
That's what every young kid thinks about when they first put on a uniform - is to play in the Major League and then, ultimately, play in a World Series. To me, that was the ultimate, winning in '86. ~ Gary Carter
86 quotes by Gary Carter
Why are you being nice to me?"
The suprise on his face suprises me even more.
"Because I care about you." he says simply.
"You care about me?" The numbness in my body is beginning to dissipate. My blood pressure is rising and anger making its way to the forefron of my consciousness. "I almost killed Jenkins because of you!"
"You didn't kill-"
"Your soldiers beat me! You keep me here like a prisoner! You threaten me! You threaten to kill me! You give me no freedom and you say you care about me?" I nearly throw the glass of water at his face. "You are a monster!"
Warner turns away so I'm staring at his profile. He clasps his hands. Changes his mind. Touches his lips. "I am only trying to help you."
"Liar."
He seems to consider that. Nods, just once. "Yes, most of the time, yes. ~ Tahereh Mafi
86 quotes by Tahereh Mafi
The truth is that for those 86 long years when the Red Sox went without a World Series win, fans were not only in a recession, but trapped in a longstanding, deeply entrenched sports depression. ~ Julianna Baggott
86 quotes by Julianna Baggott
Eight Bells: Robert J. Kane '55D died June 3, 2017, in Palm Harbor, Florida. He came to MMA by way of Boston College. Bob or "Killer," as he was affectionately known, was an independent and eccentric soul, enjoying the freedom of life. After a career at sea as an Officer in the U.S. Navy and in the Merchant Marine he retired to an adventurous single life living with his two dogs in a mobile home, which had originally been a "Yellow School Bus." He loved watching the races at Daytona, Florida, telling stories about his interesting deeds about flying groceries to exotic Caribbean Islands, and misdeeds with mysterious ladies he had known. For years he spent his summers touring Canada and his winters appreciating the more temperate weather at Fort De Soto in St. Petersburg, Florida…. Enjoying life in the shadow of the Sunshine Bridge, Bob had an artistic flare, a positive attitude and a quick sense of humor. Not having a family, few people were aware that he became crippled by a hip replacement operation gone bad at the Bay Pines VA Hospital. His condition became so bad that he could hardly get around, but he remained in good spirits until he suffered a totally debilitating stroke. For the past 6 years Bob spent his time at various Florida Assisted Living Facilities, Nursing Homes and Palliative Care Hospitals. His end came when he finally wound up as a terminal patient at the Hospice Facility in Palm Harbor, Florida. Bob was 86 years old when he passed. He will be missed…. ~ Hank Bracker
86 quotes by Hank Bracker
Silence is a true friend who never betrays. ~ Confucius
86 quotes by Confucius
In all, 86 per cent of the increased life expectancy was due to decreases in infectious diseases. And the bulk of the decline in infectious disease deaths occurred prior to the age of antibiotics. Less than 4 per cent of the total improvement in life expectancy since 1700s can be credited to twentieth-century advances in medical care. ~ Laurie Garrett
86 quotes by Laurie Garrett
Is not a day divided into twenty-four hours, each hour into sixty minutes, and every minute sub-divided into sixty seconds? Now in 86,400 seconds many things can be done. ~ Alexandre Dumas
86 quotes by Alexandre Dumas
326. Excessive reading does not make us smarter. Some people simply
"devour" books. They do it without the necessary intervals of thought, which are necessary in order to "digest," to process what has been read, to absorb and comprehend it. When people of that kind speak, pieces of Hegel, Heidegger and Marx come out raw, unprocessed. Reading requires personal contribution as much
as a bee requires "inner" work, as well as time, to transform pollen into honey. ~ Alija Izetbegovic
86 quotes by Alija Izetbegovic
Each day you're given 86,400 seconds from the 'Time Bank'. Everyone is given the same. There are no exceptions. Once you make your withdrawal, you're free to spend it as you want. The 'Time Bank' won't tell you how to spend it. Time poorly spent will not be replaced with more time. Time doesn't do refunds. ~ David Hieatt
86 quotes by David Hieatt
My dad went at 86. A car killed him. He was crossing the road. ~ Peter O'Toole
86 quotes by Peter O'Toole
So. Which of our troubles torments you most this evening?"
Althea surrendered. "They all nip at my heels like a pack of yapping feists, ship. I don't know which to worry about first."
The figurehead gave a snort of disdain. "Then kick them away as if they were truly a pack of curs and fix your gaze instead on your destiny." … "Don't think about the obstacles" … The ship spoke in a low, soft voice. "Long or short, if you worry about every step of a journey, you will divide it endlessly into pieces, any one of which may defeat you. Look only to the end."
"I think we will succeed only if we prepare ourselves," Althea objected.
Paragon shook his head. "Teach yourself to believe you will succeed. … Be now what you must be to succeed at the end of your journey, and when the end comes, you will find it is just another beginning."
Althea sighed. "Now you sound like Amber," she complained.
"No." He contradicted her flatly. "Now I sound like myself. The self I put aside and hid, the self I intended to be again someday, when I was ready. I have stopped intending. I am, now."
p. 86: Paragon to Althea ~ Robin Hobb
86 quotes by Robin Hobb
We each get twenty-four hours.
1,440 minutes.
86,400 seconds.

Every day for the rest of your days.

You can't make more, or give any away.

But you can prioritize them for the right people, or waste them on the wrong ones. ~ A.J. Compton
86 quotes by A.J. Compton
ALLAH without me is still ALLAH
But
Me without ALLAH is nothing ~ Altaf Ul Qadri
86 quotes by Altaf Ul Qadri
It is complicated by exposure to politics. When a good dea is run through the filters and compressors of ordinary tunnel vision, it not only comps out reduced in scale and value but in its new dogmatic configuration produces effects the opposite of those for which it originally was intended." 86 ~ Tom Robbins
86 quotes by Tom Robbins
My first car, I got it in an auction at my temple. It was an '86 Volvo that I got for 500 bucks, and then wound up throwing $10,000 into the stereo system and put TVs in the foot rests. It was the most ridiculous Volvo you'd ever seen, but I had never had money before and I was out of my mind. ~ Shia Labeouf
86 quotes by Shia Labeouf
When Time magazine conducted a poll in Europe in March [2003] asking which of three - North Korea, Iraq, or the United States - was the biggest threat to world peace, a whopping 86.9% answered the United States. ~ Immanuel Wallerstein
86 quotes by Immanuel Wallerstein
There are 86,400 seconds in a day. Those seconds are critical. ~ Eric Thomas
86 quotes by Eric Thomas
There are 86,400 seconds in a day. And in any ONE of them you can decide to CHANGE your life. Tick tock tick tock. ~ Sven Paardekooper
86 quotes by Sven Paardekooper
London's tempo is 122.86 beats per minute. ~ David Byrne
86 quotes by David Byrne
Kashmir, the 86,000-square-mile region in India's north, both is and isn't the India of the popular imagination. ~ Hanya Yanagihara
86 quotes by Hanya Yanagihara
Many Christians expend so much energy and worry trying not to sin. The goal is not to try to sin less. In all your efforts to keep from sinning, what are you focusing on? Sin. God wants you to focus on him. To be with him. "Abide in me." Just relax and learn to enjoy his presence. Every day is a collection of moments, 86,400 seconds in a day. How many of them can you live with God? Start where you are and grow from there. God wants to be with you every moment. ~ John Ortberg
86 quotes by John Ortberg
The rules of war for federal court were contained in the 86 rules of federal civil procedure, the rules of the local federal court, and the courtroom rules of the particular federal judge. ~ Kenneth Eade
86 quotes by Kenneth Eade
The fields are still ripe for harvesting (cf. Jn 4:35); God continues to give the growth (cf. 1 Cor 3:6). We can and must believe, with the late Pope John Paul II, that God is preparing a new springtime for Christianity (cf. Redemptoris Missio, 86). What is needed above all, at this time in the history of the Church in America, is a renewal of that apostolic zeal which inspires her shepherds actively to seek out the lost, to bind up those who have been wounded, and to bring strength to those who are languishing (cf. Ez 34:16). ~ Pope Benedict XVI
86 quotes by Pope Benedict XVI
The fact that the world today is what it is suggests, to say the least, that this concept is far from being cherished universally. The reasons for its unpopularity are twofold. First, what is required for this concept to be put into effect is a margin of democracy. This is precisely what 86 percent of the globe lacks. Second, the common sense that tells a victim that his only gain in turning the other cheek and not responding in kind yields, at best, a moral victory, i.e., quite immaterial. The natural reluctance to expose yet another part of your body to a blow is justified by a suspicion that this sort of conduct only agitates and enhances Evil; that moral victory can be mistaken by the adversary for his impunity. ~ Joseph Brodsky
86 quotes by Joseph Brodsky
We picked the Red Sox because they lose. If you root for something that loses for 86 years, you're a pretty good fan. You don't have to win everything to be a fan of something. ~ Jimmy Fallon
86 quotes by Jimmy Fallon
Bear Market Begin Bear Market End Max DD Sept 1929 June 1932 -86.25 July 1933 March 1935 -33.9% March 1937 March 1938 -54.5% Nov 1938 April 1942 -45.8% May 1946 June 1949 -29.6% July 1957 Oct 1957 -20.6% Dec 1961 June 1962 -28% Feb 1966 Oct 1966 -22.2% Oct 1968 May 1970 -34% Jan 1973 Oct 1974 -48.2% Sept 1976 March 1978 -19.4% Nov 1980 Aug 1982 -27.1% Aug 1987 Dec 1987 -40.4% July 1990 Oct 1990 -21.2% Mar 2000 Oct 2002 -49.1% June 2008 Mar 2009 -54% Average Bear Market: -37.3% Buy and Hold since 1942 Compounded Annual Rate of Return: 8.03% Maximum Draw down: 54% Prior to this decade's two severe bear markets, most investors believed that only that the stock market can go up. ~ Andrew Abraham
86 quotes by Andrew Abraham
As children get older, this incidental outdoor activity
say, while waiting to be called to eat
becomes less bumptious, physically and entails more loitering with others, sizing people up, flirting, talking, pushing, shoving and horseplay. Adolescents are always being criticized for this kind of loitering, but they can hardly grow up without it. The trouble comes when it is done not within society, but as a form of outlaw life.
The requisite for any of these varieties of incidental play is not pretentious equipment of any sort, but rather space at an immediately convenient and interesting place. The play gets crowded out if sidewalks are too narrow relative to the total demands put on them. It is especially crowded out if the sidewalks also lack minor irregularities in building line. An immense amount of both loitering and play goes on in shallow sidewalk niches out of the line of moving pedestrian feet. ~ Jane Jacobs
86 quotes by Jane Jacobs
Youth has triumphed (upon defeating 86-year-old Dirk van Foreest). ~ Jacques Mieses
86 quotes by Jacques Mieses
For 86 years I have served Jesus Christ and he has never abandoned me. How could I curse my blessed king and savior? ~ Polycarp
86 quotes by Polycarp
I thought my life was mapped out. Research, living in the forest, teaching and writing. But in '86 I went to a conference and realised the chimpanzees were disappearing. I had worldwide recognition and a gift of communication. I had to use them. ~ Jane Goodall
86 quotes by Jane Goodall
God hijacks and bends evil to work peace and healing. If God were only a God of justice, He could punish evil but do no more. Only a God of grace can use our evil to work His good. God's grace is so much bigger than our sin . Sometimes He'll let us pursue our idolatry until it kills us. Then He will resurrect us and turn our evil into testimonies of God's grace.
Charis: God's Scandalous Grace for Us (p. 86). ~ Preston Sprinkle
86 quotes by Preston Sprinkle
We've known each other [in Motorpsycho ] since 1985 or '86, are really different as personalities, and yet have actually never disagreed to any degree. We are really complimentary as musicians and songwriters too, and come from two total opposites in our approaches. ~ Bent Saether
86 quotes by Bent Saether
We all know the Red Sox did not win a World Series for 86 years after unloading Ruth, and the Cubs just might be carrying some heavy weight for past karmic transgressions. ~ George Vecsey
86 quotes by George Vecsey
$86,400 USD is actually the amount of seconds we all have in a day if 1 sec is equal to 1 dollar. That amount of seconds God credits to each and every one of us daily. But when you go to bed it is wiped out and you get another one credited to you when you wake up. ~ Sunday Adelaja
86 quotes by Sunday Adelaja
And when I look at my mother, I reflect on her strength and endurance. She's cranky sometimes, but she is lovable and loving. I'd be happy to be there at 86. ~ Lisa Scottoline
86 quotes by Lisa Scottoline
Of course, one other hypothetical alternative would have been for the child to decide that since she was fine the way she was, there must have been something terribly wrong with her parents. But children need at least the continuing hope that their parents may come to love them. To decide that these crazy parents will never love her, no matter what she does, no matter whom she becomes, would leave a child buried in a depth of despair in which she would surely suffocate and die. (86) ~ Sheldon B. Kopp
86 quotes by Sheldon B. Kopp
Nothing really happened - I was elected in '86 - until 1992, and that's when the Anita Hill debacle happened. ~ Barbara Mikulski
86 quotes by Barbara Mikulski
From '86 until the summer of last year, wherever I went, people would say, You would have made a great James Bond! Weren't you going to be James Bond? You should have been, you could have been, you may have been. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. It was like unfinished business in my life. I couldn't say no to it this time around. ~ Pierce Brosnan
86 quotes by Pierce Brosnan
We thread our way through a moving forest of ice-cream cones and crimson thighs. ~ Jean-Dominique Bauby
86 quotes by Jean-Dominique Bauby
Probably the '86 nationals. That was my first real national title and first real statement I ever made in figure skating, and my life changed after I returned. ~ Debi Thomas
86 quotes by Debi Thomas
I don't know that person anymore, that guy in '86, '87. I don't know that guy no more. I don't have no affinity for that guy no more. I have no affinity for the guy who said, 'I am the greatest fighter God produced.' I have no affinity for the guy who said he would try to push his [opponent's] nose bone up into his brain. I just don't know that guy. I don't know who he is. I don't know where he came from. I don't have no kind of connection with him no more ~ Mike Tyson
86 quotes by Mike Tyson
Having poured my drink, I may not live to taste it, or that it may pass a live man's tongue to burn a dead man's belly; that having slumbered, I may never wake, or having waked, may never living sleep. Having heard tick, will I hear tock? Having served, will I volley? Having sugared will I cream? Having eithered, will I or? Itching, will I scratch? Hemming, will I haw? ~ John Barth
86 quotes by John Barth
86. I get angry when believers unhesitatingly attribute every good thing in the world to God - and then respond to bad things by saying, "God works in mysterious ways." If God's ways are so mysterious, and we can't begin to understand his thinking behind tsunamis and drought and pediatric cancer, then what makes you think you understand his intentions when it comes to pretty sunsets or cute puppies or helping you find the peanut butter? ~ Greta Christina
86 quotes by Greta Christina
My father was one of the first six guys ashore on Iwo Jima. He's 86 years old now, and every single night of his life, he has nightmares, and he wakes yelling. ~ Jeff Lindsay
86 quotes by Jeff Lindsay
It was '86. We were a big enough name and we had enough cache that MTV wanted to play us, so, along with Michael Jackson and Madonna, they played our upside-down, black-and-white, backward, single unedited footage of a rock quarry with orange letters over the top of it and called it art. ~ Michael Stipe
86 quotes by Michael Stipe
I had a teacher, he was 86 years old and his name was Luigi in New York City, and he said, 'Never stop moving. You get to reinvent yourself.' So you have to find ways to reinventing yourself. Especially today, because it's a whole different market - social media is so important. ~ Ben Vereen
86 quotes by Ben Vereen
The first 10 years of my life, I lived as 'Matangi.' When I came to England in '86, my first week of school was terrible because I would put my hand up to answer things, and no one would choose me because they couldn't say my name. My auntie came from Europe to visit us, and she was like, 'Just call yourself something else.' ~ M.I.A.
86 quotes by M.I.A.
Going through college a Red Sox fan and knowing the history behind everything that was going on back in the '80s and finally getting a chance to win a World Series for this great city and bringing it back after 86 years, it was truly special, and it's one of the highlights that I'll remember for a long time. ~ Tim Wakefield
86 quotes by Tim Wakefield
According to one study by the United States Geological survey, 86 percent of oil reserves in the United States are the result not of what is estimated at the time of discovery but of the revisions and additions that come with further development. ~ Daniel Yergin
86 quotes by Daniel Yergin
Humans without humanity, war_torn world for eternity ~ Mouloud Benzadi
86 quotes by Mouloud Benzadi
The Third Precept, to refrain from sexual misconduct, reminds us not to act out of sexual desire in such a way as to cause harm to another ... The spirit of this precept asks us to look at the motivation behind our actions. To pay attention in this way allows us, as laypeople, to discover how sexuality can be connected to the heart and how it can be an expression of love, caring, and genuine intimacy. We have almost all been fools at some time in our sexual lives, and we have also used sex to try to touch what is beautiful, to touch another person deeply. Conscious sexuality is an essential part of living a mindful life (86). ~ Jack Kornfield
86 quotes by Jack Kornfield
I really feel better about aging at the age of 86 than I did at 70. ~ Donald Hall
86 quotes by Donald Hall
From activist stage, I just spoke and said whatever I had to say. When the writing started, I would just read it. Then I had the interest into going into musical aspects. When that happened in '86, I liked the result of work we did in the studio. ~ John Trudell
86 quotes by John Trudell
I came in on the decline. Phil Elliot was in first, he got his book out, he sold thirteen thousand, I think he got two issues out before I got mine in, this was March '87. He was out in December '86. ~ Eddie Campbell
86 quotes by Eddie Campbell
Clothes should be practical. I like the concept of easy wear. I think [86-year-old] actress Emmanuelle Riva was extremely chic. She's super stylish. At the Cesars, she was wearing this beautiful red silk dress. I don't know whose it was. ~ Christophe Lemaitre
86 quotes by Christophe Lemaitre
86. - Our distrust of another justifies his deceit. ~ Francois De La Rochefoucauld
86 quotes by Francois De La Rochefoucauld
We already have the Wooden Pillar, the Steel Pillar and the Plastic Pillar. In a moment we will have the Golden Bail ... '
No, you won't.'
We will,' stated the robot simply.
No, you won't. It makes my ship work.'
In a moment,' repeated the robot patiently, 'we will have the Golden Bail ... '
You will not,' said Zaphod.
And then we must go,' said the robot, in all seriousness, 'to a party.'
Oh,' said Zaphod, startled, 'can I come?'
No,' said the robot, 'we are going to shoot you.'
Oh, yeah?' said Zaphod, waggling his gun.
Yes,' said the robot, and they shot him.
Zaphod was so surprised that they had to shoot him again before he fell down. (85-86) ~ Douglas Adams
86 quotes by Douglas Adams
Biathletes need to eat 6.000 calories a day: six thousand! That's the equivalent of 2 pounds of butter, 70 slices of bread, 112 eggs, 86 tabs of yogurts, 28 potatoes, 117 biscuits and 21 TWIX bars. On that basis, I could be an Olympic biathlete! ~ Jeremy Clarkson
86 quotes by Jeremy Clarkson
Only ur karma is imp. Not ur birth. Not ur sex. And certainly not the color of ur throat
Shiva Trilogy
The Mortals of Meluha pg 86 ~ Amish Tripathi
86 quotes by Amish Tripathi
AN IMPERIALIST POWER THAT ACTS ON ITS OWN REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE REST OF THE WORLD THINKS. 18–29 30–49 50–64 65+ Improper/Somewhat improper 86% 73 69 67 Somewhat proper/Proper 3 13 20 17 No other group we studied - not Democrats generally, not self-described progressives or libertarians, not readers of The New York Times - had a greater spread between the two extremes. ~ John Zogby
86 quotes by John Zogby
I am rediscovering the whole sexual dimension of life at the age of 86, really. And that also means discovering the feminine. So the whole of this dimension, which I had been seeking for a very long time, is now sort of opening itself up to me. ~ Bede Griffiths
86 quotes by Bede Griffiths
Well, you know, you're not going to have 86 percent of Congress voted out of office. ~ Nate Silver
86 quotes by Nate Silver
If the estimated age of the cosmos were shortened to seventy-two years, a human life would take about ten seconds. But look at time the other way. Each day is a minor eternity of over 86,000 seconds. During each second, the number of distinct molecular functions going on within the human body is comparable to the number of seconds in the estimated age of the cosmos. A few seconds are long enough for a revolutionary idea, a startling communication, a baby's conception, a wounding insult, a sudden death. Depending on how we think of them, our lives can be infinitely long or infinitely short. ~ Robert Grudin
86 quotes by Robert Grudin
Hermes was watching me, his head cocked like a curious bird. He was waiting for my reaction. Would I be skimmed milk for crying, or a harpy with a heart of stone? There was nothing between. Anything else did not fit cleanly in the laughing tale he wanted to spin of it.
Pg 86 ~ Madeline Miller
86 quotes by Madeline Miller
My wife and I have been together since 1986. I graduated in '86 and she graduated in '88. We began dating when she was 17. Actually she turned 18 when we started kissing and stuff. ~ Cuba Gooding, Jr.
86 quotes by Cuba Gooding, Jr.
Traffic Engineering Quotes «
» Sunburn Quotes