1993 Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 1993.

Quotes About 1993

Enjoy collection of 100 1993 quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 1993. Righ click to see and save pictures of 1993 quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

Since time is the one immaterial object which we cannot influence - neither speed up nor slow down, add to nor diminish - it is an imponderably valuable gift. ~ Maya Angelou
1993 quotes by Maya Angelou
Take Canada again: why does Canada have the health-care program it does? Up until the mid-1960s, Canada and the United States had the same capitalist health service: extremely inefficient, tons of bureaucracy, huge administrative costs, millions of people with no insurance coverage―exactly what would be amplified in the United States by Clinton's proposals for "managed competition" [put forward in 1993].21 But in 1962 in Saskatchewan, where the N.D.P. is pretty strong and the unions are pretty strong, they managed to put through a kind of rational health-care program of the sort that every industrialized country in the world has by now, except the United States and South Africa. Well, when Saskatchewan first put through that program, the doctors and the insurance companies and the business community were all screaming―but it worked so well that pretty soon all the other Provinces wanted the same thing too, and within a couple years guaranteed health care had spread over the entire country. And that happened largely because of the New Democratic Party in Canada, which does provide a kind of cover and a framework within which popular organizations like unions, and then later things like the feminist movement, have been able to get together and do things. ~ Noam Chomsky
1993 quotes by Noam Chomsky
I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989 -1990 off season, and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again. ~ Mark McGwire
1993 quotes by Mark McGwire
My family lived in Egypt from 1993 to 1996. ~ Tea Obreht
1993 quotes by Tea Obreht
I first met Nelson Mandela when I was in my late 20s, in 1993. I was helping facilitate an African National Congress (ANC) workshop to plan its media strategy. I went down to meet him for the first time and you know me I got stupid ... I just choked. I said, "Hello Madiba, it's a real honour to meet you," and I couldn't get another word out. ~ Kumi Naidoo
1993 quotes by Kumi Naidoo
From 1971 to 1993, my family lived in a number of African countries, including Malawi, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Nigeria, as well as Uganda itself. ~ Giles Foden
1993 quotes by Giles Foden
When we didn't succeed at healthcare reform back in 1993, 1994, I went to work with Democrats and Republicans and we created the Children's Health Insurance Program. ~ Hillary Clinton
1993 quotes by Hillary Clinton
An Associated Press report by Chicago-based reporter Sharon Cohen in May 1993 examined Christian fundamentalists and concluded that they were prone to 'riots, terrorism - and death.' ~ Ralph E. Reed, Jr.
1993 quotes by Ralph E. Reed, Jr.
You just write what you know, and I know what it's like to be a teenager in 1993,, and I'm a woman, so I'm definitely going to write from that point of view. ~ Maggie Carey
1993 quotes by Maggie Carey
In 1993, I retired from the Art Ensemble of Chicago to devote myself full time to Buddhist studies and to the practice of Aikido. ~ Joseph Jarman
1993 quotes by Joseph Jarman
My father's death from prostate cancer in 1993 was tragic. He never complained about pain. He was a fighter. By the time he was ready to die he wasn't able to die in the way that he wanted to, which seemed an outrage to me. ~ Zoe Wanamaker
1993 quotes by Zoe Wanamaker
Whether [the 1993 World Trade Center bombing] was a setup by the Israeli Mossad, as a Jewish friend of mine suspects, or was truly a retaliation by the Islamic fundamentalists, matters little. ~ Ron Paul
1993 quotes by Ron Paul
I think it's very instructive to look at a man like Ramsey Ahmad Yousef, who almost brought down the World Trade Center in 1993. He's short some fingers, his body is scarred, he's missing an eye - because he was practicing and not getting it right. But eventually they get it right. ~ Michael Scheuer
1993 quotes by Michael Scheuer
Work hard, play hard, stay hard. I coined it first back 1993. ~ Scott Deuty
1993 quotes by Scott Deuty
Escobar, my ex-lover, was shot to death on December 2, 1993. To bring him down after a hunt that lasted nearly a year and a half, it was necessary to offer a reward of twenty-five million dollars and to employ a Colombian police commando unit specially trained for the purpose. ~ Virginia Vallejo
1993 quotes by Virginia Vallejo
Transformation begins with the individual Dr William Edwards Deming
The New Economics - 1993 ~ Priyavrat Thareja
1993 quotes by Priyavrat Thareja
In early 1993, a hostile observer might have had grounds for thinking that the Unix story was almost played out, and with it the fortunes of the hacker tribe. ~ Eric S. Raymond
1993 quotes by Eric S. Raymond
SHORTLY AFTER Louis Freeh was sworn in as the fifth director of the FBI on September 1, 1993, he turned in his White House pass. He refused to enter the Oval Office. His reasons were pure and simple. Freeh regarded President Clinton not as commander in chief but as the subject of a criminal case. The ~ Tim Weiner
1993 quotes by Tim Weiner
The 'role of the theatre' is much debated (by almost nobody, of course), but the thing defines itself in practice first and foremost as a recreation. This seems satisfactory. TOM STOPPARD 1993 ~ Tom Stoppard
1993 quotes by Tom Stoppard
We were the first people to do advertising on the Web. I actually saw in 1993 that the ad could be the content, the destination. ~ Tim O'Reilly
1993 quotes by Tim O'Reilly
I had trouble putting the book down - at least, it was very hard to do whenever I was forced to by other obligations. I received it in the mail on a Thursday and finished it that following Sunday night (this is FAST for me, given everything else I have on my plate).

Anyway, this book is amazing - I was quite literally floored by the information it contained as it was stuff I hadn't heard about due to selective (heavily slanted against Jackson) media coverage at the time.

I was like a lot of people back then . . . I thought that MJ might have very well been guilty of the accusations and I remember feeling a bit annoyed that he "got off" when the jury found him not guilty.

Well, since then I have realized that my knowledge of all the facts of the case (as well as the 1993 allegations) was sorely lacking and I've done a complete about-face with regard to Michael Jackson.

It's clear to me now that the "accusers" were a bunch of frauds (I do recall feeling a bit skeptical about them at the time but didn't explore those suspicions further, as I was also doubtful about Jackson's innocence). When the testimony and facts are taken into consideration it becomes glaringly obvious that Michael Jackson was an innocent man who was taken advantage of on numerous occasions.

텔레그램 혹은 위커메신저 아이디: HighHemp
텔레그램 혹은 위커메신저 아이디: HighHemp ~ "하이햄프"텔레+위커:HighHemp, I Had Trouble Putting The Book Down - At Least, It Was Very Hard To Do Wheneve
1993 quotes by
When I created Chipotle in 1993, I had a very simple idea: Offer a simple menu of great food prepared fresh each day, using many of the same cooking techniques as gourmet restaurants. Then serve the food quickly, in a cool atmosphere. It was food that I wanted, and thought others would like too. We've never strayed from that original idea. The critics raved and customers began lining up at my tiny burrito joint. Since then, we've opened a few more. ~ Steve Ells
1993 quotes by Steve Ells
The irony of the present day is, the more human rights jurisprudence seems to be fortified, the more there are human rights violations in newer and newer forms and some recidivism all due to the conflicting deductions of protecting even human rights of offenders. No doubts offenders deserve their rights to be protected but in cases of serious offenses such as 'rape' where the offender consciously commits the act while being aware of the justice system in his particular country, prefers to cross the precincts of the law. Worst still, is increasing crime rate of offenses such as rape committed against children and infants. ~ Henrietta Newton Martin
1993 quotes by Henrietta Newton Martin
Although few people will remember 3 June 1993, it was a landmark in South African history. On that day, after months of negotiations at the World Trade Centre, the multiparty forum voted to set a date for the country's first national, nonracial, one-person-one-vote election: 27 April 1994. For the first time in South African history, the black majority would go to the polls to elect their own leaders. ~ Nelson Mandela
1993 quotes by Nelson Mandela
Our pre-kindergarten programs have shown a better work force and have attracted more businesses into the state. We implemented our Smart Start program in 1993. In my first two terms in the 1970s, we focused on elementary and high schools. We realized we were starting too late. We knew to be effective we had to start even earlier. ~ James Hunt
1993 quotes by James Hunt
When Judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg was before us in 1993, she said that her standard was to give no hints, no forecasts, no previews, and declined to answer dozens of questions. ~ Orrin Hatch
1993 quotes by Orrin Hatch
From Alan Lightman's intricate 1993 novel Einstein's Dreams; set in Berne in 1905: With infinite life comes an infinite list of relatives. Grandparents never die, nor do great-grandparents, great-aunts ... and so on, back through the generations, all alive and offering advice. Sons never escape from the shadows of their fathers. Nor do daughters of their mothers. No one ever comes into his own ... Such is the cost of immortality. No person is whole. No person is free. ~ Christopher Hitchens
1993 quotes by Christopher Hitchens
Yes, I actually have a portable fly-tying kit in my vest. I spent hours putting it all together, with a special emphasis on midge materials as well as enough fur and feathers to whip out a half dozen of virtually every conceivable dry pattern nature can throw at me. I have used it once, in 1993. ~ Jack Ohman
1993 quotes by Jack Ohman
I started playing Madden back in 1993 because that was the first year I actually made it into the game and that was a big thrill. When you're in Madden, you've made it, baby. ~ Michael Strahan
1993 quotes by Michael Strahan
I think my dad's post-presidency, he didn't miss a beat. He didn't get into any kind of 'Woe is me.' He dusted himself off and led an incredible life since 1993. ~ Jeb Bush
1993 quotes by Jeb Bush
Admitted to Playboy in 1993 that he smoked marijuana twice. ~ Rush Limbaugh
1993 quotes by Rush Limbaugh
I left Russia in 1993 optimistic that democracy had taken hold despite the obstacles. ~ Robert Kagan
1993 quotes by Robert Kagan
In 1993, Israel and North Korea were moving towards an agreement in which North Korea would stop sending any missiles or military technology to the Middle East and Israel would recognize that country. President Clinton intervened and blocked it. ~ Noam Chomsky
1993 quotes by Noam Chomsky
1993, in the death throes of apartheid, South Africa imprisoned 853 black men per hundred thousand in the population. The United States imprisons 4,919 black men per hundred thousand (versus only 943 white men). So because of the drug war and the way it is enforced, a black man was far more likely to be jailed in the Land of the Free than in the most notorious white supremacist society in the world. ~ Johann Hari
1993 quotes by Johann Hari
I once read that if the folds in the cerebral cortex were smoothed out it would cover a card table. That seemed quite unbelievable but it did make me wonder just how big the cortex would be if you ironed it out. I thought it might just about cover a family-sized pizza: not bad, but no card-table. I was astonished to realize that nobody seems to know the answer. A quick search yielded the following estimates for the smoothed out dimensions of the cerebral cortex of the human brain.

An article in Bioscience in November 1987 by Julie Ann Miller claimed the cortex was a "quarter-metre square." That is napkin-sized, about ten inches by ten inches. Scientific American magazine in September 1992 upped the ante considerably with an estimated of 1 1/2 square metres; thats a square of brain forty inches on each side, getting close to the card-table estimate. A psychologist at the University of Toronto figured it would cover the floor of his living room (I haven't seen his living room), but the prize winning estimate so far is from the British magazine New Scientist's poster of the brain published in 1993 which claimed that the cerebral cortex, if flattened out, would cover a tennis court. How can there be such disagreement? How can so many experts not know how big the cortex is? I don't know, but I'm on the hunt for an expert who will say the cortex, when fully spread out, will cover a football field. A Canadian football field. ~ Jay Ingram
1993 quotes by Jay Ingram
I, as a Muslim woman living in 1993, I want to have two things - the mosque and the satellite, both at the same time. And no one can mutilate me by telling me I cannot have the mosque or the Koran. ~ Fatema Mernissi
1993 quotes by Fatema Mernissi
CBS is proud to have been the home of David Letterman since 1993. He is truly one of the great talents of our time, and we hope things work out. ~ Leslie Moonves
1993 quotes by Leslie Moonves
Based on theoretical analysis, clinical observations, and some research findings (e.g., Kluft & Fine, 1993; Nijenhuis, Van der Hart, & Steele, 2002; Putnam, 1997; Reinders et al., 2003, submitted; Steinberg, 1995), as well as on 19th and early 20th century literature on dissociation (cf., Van der Hart & Dorahy, in press), we propose that traumatization essentially involves a degree of dissociative division of the personality that likely occurs along the lines of innate action systems of daily life and defense - what has been called structural dissociation of the personality (e.g., Nijenhuis et al., 2002; Van der Hart, Nijenhuis, Steele, & Brown, 2004). Dissociation of the personality develops when children or adults are exposed to potentially traumatizing events, and when their integrative capacity is insufficient to (fully) integrate these experiences within the confines of a relatively coherent personality. ~ Onno Van Der Hart
1993 quotes by Onno Van Der Hart
I just want somebody I can have a decent conversation with over dinner." - Tom Hanks, Sleepless in Seattle (1993) 11 ~ Jenn Bennett
1993 quotes by Jenn Bennett
Columbia University, where I went to study in 1993, insisted its undergraduates learn a foreign language, so I discovered French. ~ Aravind Adiga
1993 quotes by Aravind Adiga
Technology policy - whether we should have one and what form such a policy should take - was a core issue of the 1992 presidential campaign, and in February 1993 the Clinton administration confirmed that fostering new technologies will be a critical part of its agenda for redirecting the American economy. ~ Lewis M. Branscomb
1993 quotes by Lewis M. Branscomb
While Congress did not, to my knowledge, calculate aggregate dollar values for the nationwide effects of racial discrimination in 1964, in 1994 it did rely on evidence of the harms caused by domestic violence and sexual assault, citing annual costs of $3 billion in 1990 and $5 to $10 billion in 1993. ~ David Souter
1993 quotes by David Souter
The 1993 Trade Center bombing was obviously frightening. It could have been much worse than it was. ~ Mary Jo White
1993 quotes by Mary Jo White
The changes that occur during the prodromal phase have been broadly characterised by Hafner and colleagues (Hafner et al., 1995), though other more intensive studies are reviewed and summarised in Yung et al. (1996). These and other studies (Jones et al., 1993) showed that although diagnostic specificity and ultimately potentially effective treatment comes with the later onset of positive psychotic symptoms, most of the disabling consequences of the underlying disorder emerge and manifest well prior to this phase. In particular, deficits in social functioning occur predominantly during the prodromal phase and prior to treatment. Hafner et al.
(1995) demonstrated clearly that the main factor determining social outcome two years after first admission for schizophrenia is acquired social status during the prodromal phase of the disorder. The importance of this phase was previously poorly appreciated because no conceptual ~ Max J. Birchwood
1993 quotes by Max J. Birchwood
We started filming in 1993 which was only four years after the fall of communism. The difference in Budapest over the last five years has been remarkable. ~ Derek Jacobi
1993 quotes by Derek Jacobi
I guess that's supposed to be deconstruction's original program, right? People have been under some sort of metaphysical anesthesia, so you dismantle the metaphysics' axioms and prejudices, show it in cross section and reveal the advantages of its abandonment. It's literally aggravating: you awaken them to the fact that they've been unconsciously imbibing some narcotic pharmakon since they were old enough to say "Momma."
-Interview with Larry McCaffery (1993) ~ David Foster Wallace
1993 quotes by David Foster Wallace
The fundamental idea is that through the separation of powers and checks and balances, different voices - those of the President, the Senate, and the House of Representatives - can be expected to contribute to public debate about the ends and means of national policy. The notions are familiar: the President speaks as the nationally elected voice of the people generally; the Senate represents the states; and the House represents particular constituencies that often have highly local concerns. More generally, the President speaks for the nation, and members of Congress - while being concerned with matters of national import - speak especially for different constituent parts of the nation. This constitutional structure guarantees that diverse perspectives will contribute to dialogue about public policy. ~ Thomas O. Sargentich
1993 quotes by Thomas O. Sargentich
As best I can tell there was no advance warning of the attack on the World Trade Center in 1993, which was the first significant foreign terrorist activity in the U.S. No tip-offs that it was coming. ~ Bobby Ray Inman
1993 quotes by Bobby Ray Inman
The systematic looting of language can be recognized by the tendency of its users to forgo its nuanced, complex, mid-wifery properties for menace and subjugation. Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge. Whether it is obscuring state language or the faux-language of mindless media; whether it is the proud but calcified language of the academy or the commodity driven language of science; whether it is the malign language of law-without-ethics, or language designed for the estrangement of minorities, hiding its racist plunder in its literary cheek - it must be rejected, altered and exposed. It is the language that drinks blood, laps vulnerabilities, tucks its fascist boots under crinolines of respectability and patriotism as it moves relentlessly toward the bottom line and the bottomed-out mind. Sexist language, racist language, theistic language - all are typical of the policing languages of mastery, and cannot, do not permit new knowledge or encourage the mutual exchange of ideas.
- Toni Morrison, Nobel Lecture, 1993 ~ Toni Morrison
1993 quotes by Toni Morrison
During the same hours of 1993 when the chopper crews in Somalia were slowly being overpowered and gunned down, there were twenty-four young boys back in the United States who would grow up to be future players in that African struggle. They had no way to know anything yet about the unique fighting group every one of them would eventually strive with all his determination to join. They also couldn't know, though they would one day find out in person, that this particular battle corps is so elite, the candidate must first be a Navy SEAL just to attempt to get through the training - and even then, three out of four of those superb warrior-athletes fail to qualify.
The group has had numerous military names during its long rise from the murky history of the early "frogmen" swimmers, to the black operations of the Underwater Demolition Teams whose only calling card was to render their targets dead, to the latest appellation as the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Development Group - or DEVGRU, for those who prefer names ugly and short. But the group is better known to the general public as the near-mythical warriors of "SEAL Team Six." Their complex training supports a brilliantly simple task: to be the very last thing their opponents see, if they are ever seen at all. ~ Anthony Flacco
1993 quotes by Anthony Flacco
I started off in 1993 with one lorry. I wasn't one of those guys buying a business and gearing it up. ~ Sean Quinn
1993 quotes by Sean Quinn
CAPM pioneer Bill Sharpe remarked, "I have concluded that I may never see an empirical result that will convince me that it disconfirms any theory," which reiterated Fischer Black's (1993) feeling, "I find theory to be far more powerful than data. ~ Eric G. Falkenstein
1993 quotes by Eric G. Falkenstein
Here is another example that demonstrates the tightly linked interests that both cause and treat cancer. In 1978, Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI), one of the largest companies in the world, specializing in agrochemicals and pharmaceuticals, developed the cancer drug tamoxifen. In 1985, along with the American Cancer Society, ICI founded the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month with the aim of promoting mammography as the most effective tool against breast cancer. In 1990 Imperial Chemical Industries was accused of dumping DDT and PCBs, known carcinogens, into the Long Beach and Los Angeles harbors. Zeneca, producer of tamoxifen, demerged from ICI in 1993, and later merged with Astra AB in 1999 to form AstraZeneca. Astra AB had developed the herbicide acetochlor, classified by the EPA as a probable carcinogen. In 1997 Zeneca purchased Salick Health Care, a chain of for-profit outpatient cancer clinics. Subsequently AstraZeneca launched a major publicity campaign encouraging women to assess their risk factors for breast cancer, downplaying the dangers of tamoxifen in order to create a market for its prophylactic, or chemopreventative, use and, more recently, for the breast cancer drug Arimidex (anastrozole), approved in 2002 and used as an alternative to tamoxifen (Arimidex went off patent in 2010). ~ S. Lochlann Jain
1993 quotes by S. Lochlann Jain
Using the HTTP protocol, computer scientists around the world began making the Internet easier to navigate by inventing point-and-click browsers. One browser in particular, called Mosaic, created in 1993 at the University of Illinois, would help popularize the Web, and therefore the Net, as no software tool had yet done. ~ Katie Hafner
1993 quotes by Katie Hafner
Without some redistribution of wealth and power, downward mobility and debilitating poverty will continue to drive people into desperate channels. And without principled opposition to xenophobias from above and below, these desperate channels will produce a cold-hearted and mean-spirited America no longer worth fighting for or living in. ~ Cornel West
1993 quotes by Cornel West
The first comfort women didn't actually come forward until 1992, and since then, the issue has really been kicked up. Japan issued a 1993 acknowledgement on this. It's called the Kono Agreement. But in recent years, South Korea has been wanting an apology to go much further. ~ Elise Hu
1993 quotes by Elise Hu
Jim Fregosi was not only one of the most respected men in baseball, he was a great man. He was a player's manager. He had that special gift as a manager that made you want to get to the field and play your ass off for him. Jim Fregosi was the reason that 1993 was one of the most exciting years in Philadelphia sports history. ~ Lenny Dykstra
1993 quotes by Lenny Dykstra
In 1993 my birthday present was a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame. ~ Annette Funicello
1993 quotes by Annette Funicello
A Call for Revolution, 1993 Libertarianism is rejected by the modern left - which preaches individualism but practices collectivism. Capitalism is rejected by the modern right - which preaches enterprise but practices protectionism. The libertarian faith in the mind of man is rejected by religionists who have faith only in the sins of man ... The libertarian insistence that each man is a sovereign land of liberty, with his primary allegiance to himself, is rejected by patriots who sing of freedom but also shout of banners and boundaries. ~ Karl Hess
1993 quotes by Karl Hess
Don't Ask, Don't Tell was a successful compromise in 1993; and so that compromise should remain. ~ Mike Pence
1993 quotes by Mike Pence
We don't claim perfection; even the best journalism is but a first draft of history. But we bring to the challenge certain basic beliefs that aren't much in fashion these days. We believe facts are facts and that they are ascertainable through honest, open-minded and diligent reporting. We thus believe that truth is attainable by laying fact upon fact, much like the construction of a cathedral. News, in short, is not merely a matter of views. And truth is not merely in the eye of the beholder.
[Letter From the Publisher: A Report to The Wall Street Journal's Readers, 12 January, 1993] ~ Peter R. Kann
1993 quotes by Peter R. Kann
When I finally went to Ireland, I had to go. It was 1993. My father was finally too old to travel alone, and he asked me to take him home. When an old man asks you to take him home, you have to do it. ~ John Patrick Shanley
1993 quotes by John Patrick Shanley
Within thirty years, we will have the technological means to create superhuman intelligence. Shortly after, the human era will be ended. ... Can events be guided so that we may survive? VERNOR VINGE, 1993 ~ Daniel H. Wilson
1993 quotes by Daniel H. Wilson
I read a lot of history, biographies, science, and novels,' he says, ushering a reporter out the door with a hint of relief. 'I do not read management or economics.'
(from an interview in the Christian Science Monitor, July 26, 1993) ~ Peter F. Drucker
1993 quotes by Peter F. Drucker
If Jefferson's leadership is to be set apart from others similarly situated later on, it should not be because he was inclined to finesse a frontal assault on the old [Federalist] governmental establishment, but because he transformed national politics so thoroughly without being forced into any make-or-break confrontation with it. Jefferson pursued the reconstruction of American government and politics relentlessly, and the regime he created in the end was profoundly different from the one he displaced. Yet, the most remarkable aspect of his transformation is how little resistance he encountered in the process from the institutions and interests previously attached to the old order. Jefferson's authority to reconstruct proved singularly disarming and all-encompassing. ~ Stephen Skowronek
1993 quotes by Stephen Skowronek
I also have been called that terrible "N" word straight to my face and not known what to do about it because it was just in like 1993 that someone called me that. ~ Halle Berry
1993 quotes by Halle Berry
We as a species must make a decision. How absurd that sounds. It sounds absurd because we've never made a decision as a species, and it seems implausible to think that we could. But . . . continuing on our present course would threaten the entirety of human civilization. . . We could well have only a decade within which to make major changes lest we lose the opportunity to retrieve a climate balance that is favorable for human life and human civilization. Al Gore, U.S. Vice President, 1993-2001 ~ George A. Seielstad
1993 quotes by George A. Seielstad
Bad Religion took a long time to develop into gold-record-status artists. Along the way we learned and applied our knowledge, and Atlantic helped us every step of the way, since 1993. ~ Greg Graffin
1993 quotes by Greg Graffin
On other spaces' (Foucault 1993). ~ Gordana Fontana-Giusti
1993 quotes by Gordana Fontana-Giusti
Some write that I'm a genius, others say that I'm disrespectful towards their country ... If you remember in 1993 I squatted to tie my shoe during the French national anthem. ~ Hristo Stoichkov
1993 quotes by Hristo Stoichkov
I only did about one novel a year while I was working full time, but since 1993, I've averaged two and a half books a year. ~ L.E. Modesitt Jr.
1993 quotes by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
I graduated from a place called Whitworth College in Spokane with a theater degree, then in 1993 I moved to L.A. and auditioned and did very well there. My first gig was playing a skinhead in John Singleton's 'Higher Learning', and I played Glenn Close's son in a TV movie called 'Serving In Silence.' ~ Trevor St. John
1993 quotes by Trevor St. John
Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for. ~ Maya Angelou
In 1993, 89 of the 'Fortune' top 100 companies were administering the Myers-Briggs test to their employees. The philosophy behind personality tests is that they don't want you to be in the wrong kind of job. The tests have been completely exposed as nonsense. ~ Barbara Ehrenreich
1993 quotes by Barbara Ehrenreich
When Ruth Bader Ginsburg came in front of the Senate and was approved 96-3 to be on the Supreme Court to replace conservative justice Byron White. This is in 1993.Now, Justice Ginsburg, it was noted earlier, was a general counsel for the ACLU, certainly a liberal group. It was abundantly clear during the confirmation hearing that Ginsburg would swing the balance of the court to the left.But because President [Bill] Clinton won the election and because Justice Ginsburg clearly had the intellectual ability and integrity to serve on the court, she was confirmed. ~ Sam Brownback
1993 quotes by Sam Brownback
As I come to the end of my advice and send you off into the world, I have an alternative way for you to stay on the straight and narrow: periodically watch Groundhog Day. It was made long ago, in 1993, but it's still smart and funny, the chemistry between the stars (Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell) is terrific, and it has a happy ending. Groundhog Day is also a profound moral fable that deals with the most fundamental issues of virtue and happiness. ~ Charles Murray
1993 quotes by Charles Murray
I started off doing fiction in 1993. It didn't occur to me to do nonfiction because it wasn't a thing yet. So I was bumbling around, writing short stories, and then I took a nonfiction workshop, and I realized that this was what I was supposed to do. ~ Meghan Daum
1993 quotes by Meghan Daum
Terrible drought, crops dead, sheep dying. Spring dried up. No water. The Hopi, and the Christian, maybe the Moslem, they pray for rain. The Navajo has the proper ceremony done to restore himself to harmony with the drought. You see what I mean. The system is designed to recognize what's beyond human power to change, and then to change the human's attitude to be content with the inevitable. - Tony Hillerman, Sacred Clowns, 1993 ~ Tony Hillerman
1993 quotes by Tony Hillerman
The biggest fight in my relationship with Danny regards his absurd claim that he invited the popular middle school phenomenon of saying "cha-cha-cha" after each phrase of the Happy Birthday song- an idea his ingenious sixth-grade brain allegedly spawned in a New Jersey Chuck E. Cheese and watched spread across 1993 America with an unprecedented rapidity. ~ Marina Keegan
1993 quotes by Marina Keegan
Protestant congregations. These surveys found that, out of about one thousand churches who had been asked about sexual abuse since 1993, allegations of child abuse averaged 70 per week. ~ Joe Klest
1993 quotes by Joe Klest
When Pixies broke up in 1993, I gave up the drums for the longest time. I hadn't been doing a lot, but I ended up attending a magic convention that initially got me interested. I took classes, bought videos, and practiced relentlessly. I began performing at parties and soon realized that developing an on-stage routine is often tougher than being a musician. I focused my act on magic that incorporated as much science as it did entertainment, which was really satisfying for me. ~ David Lovering
1993 quotes by David Lovering
I want people to realize that the domestic abuse charges happened in 1989. I didn't meet any of them until 1993. ~ Kato Kaelin
1993 quotes by Kato Kaelin
The Mars Committee and its various offshoots have struggled consistently over the years on behalf of the public interest. Their work is presented with great documentary force in Dr. Stanley V McDaniel's 1993 book, The McDaniel Report, published by North Atlantic Books of Berkeley, California. This report should be required reading for anybody who cares about the future of public science. ~ Whitley Strieber
1993 quotes by Whitley Strieber
What you're supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. Don't complain. ~ Maya Angelou
We had planned to integrate a Web browser with our operating system as far back as 1993( filing its first court responses to federal antitrust) ~ Bill Gates
1993 quotes by Bill Gates
Although we had no hope of defeating the enemy in the battlefield, nevertheless, we fought back to keep the idea of liberation alive. From a conversation with Richard Stengel, January 13, 1993 ~ Nelson Mandela
1993 quotes by Nelson Mandela
Between 1965 (the beginning of LBJ's "Great Society") and 1994, welfare spending has cost the taxpayers $5.4 trillion in constant 1993 dollars. The War on Poverty has cost us 70 % more than the total price tag for defeating both Germany and Japan in World War II, after adjusting for inflation. Many believe that Welfare has destroyed millions of families and cost a huge portion of our national wealth in the process. ~ Rush Limbaugh
1993 quotes by Rush Limbaugh
I stayed in the astronaut program until 1993. People ask me why I left. I thought I had a lot of things to contribute that would be difficult to do if I stayed. I thought I could have a stronger voice as an advocate for space exploration. So I ended up starting my own technology consulting company. ~ Mae Jemison
1993 quotes by Mae Jemison
Peter Breggin, an American psychiatrist, had been criticising SSRIs since the early 1990s. He wrote 'Talking Back to Prozac' (1995) to repudiate psychiatrist Peter Kramer's 'Listening to Prozac' (1993) - a bestseller which claimed that Prozac made patients 'better than well.' ~ John Cornwell
1993 quotes by John Cornwell
By the time the clock had moved past midnight on Christmas 1993, they finally clicked the last piece into place: Angola, nestled between Zaire and Namibia and bordering the vast lapping Atlantic. Then, having succeeded in putting the world back together, they went to bed. ~ Jessie Ann Foley
1993 quotes by Jessie Ann Foley
Since January 1993 there have been 27 other countries not in the EU that have done better than the UK at exporting goods into the single market. ~ Boris Johnson
1993 quotes by Boris Johnson
I think, as a nation, we didn't learn our lessons from the bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993. We should have been more careful in a whole host of areas. ~ Raymond Kelly
1993 quotes by Raymond Kelly
Hubble is very close to my heart, and going back to Hubble, because I was there once already in 1993, is really a great privilege for me. ~ Claude Nicollier
1993 quotes by Claude Nicollier
In 1993, as House Democratic Leader, I led the fight to pass the Clinton-Gore economic plan - a plan designed to slash the deficit, invest in education, cut taxes for working families, and ask the wealthy among us to pay their fair share ... Not one Republican voted for that plan. They said it was a job killer. ~ Dick Gephardt
1993 quotes by Dick Gephardt
In 1993, I had my Super Show in Red Square, Moscow. No one before me had ever gotten permission to use that location and my show included fashion, fireworks, and dancing. I felt like it really communicated my heartfelt belief that all human beings are wonderful and unique individuals. ~ Kansai Yamamoto
1993 quotes by Kansai Yamamoto
I took photos from 1976 to when I left in 1993, primarily for Interview and a column I had called "Bob Colacello's Out" which Andy had conceived of. I've never taken a picture since, not even with my phone! It just felt too Andy Warhol to keep going around town taking photographs. And I never really thought of doing anything with them after I left the magazine until this great Art Director Sam Shahid about for or five years ago asked where all of the old photos were. ~ Bob Colacello
1993 quotes by Bob Colacello
I had a unique circumstance in which my career was associated with George W. Bush, who went straight to the top. I went to work for him in October of 1993. So my whole identity in national politics is associated with this president, and you know, I kind of want to leave it that way. It's not tugging at me to go do the '08 cycle. ~ Dan Bartlett
1993 quotes by Dan Bartlett
Whenever you stand up
For your conscience,
Be prepared to be hated
By the wicked.
But never, ever, let that scare you;
For whenever you
Stand up for God,
By him,
You are loved.

TRUTH by Suzy Kassem
THE SPRING FOR WISDOM, 1993 ~ Suzy Kassem
1993 quotes by Suzy Kassem
Ben R. Rich, the ex-president of the famous "Skunk Works," Lockheed-Martin's Advanced Development Programs (ADP) group, revealed the truth just before he died. In an alumni speech at the University of California, Los Angeles, in 1993, he said, "We already have the means to travel among the stars, but these technologies are locked up in black projects and it would take an Act of God to ever get them out to benefit humanity . . . Anything you can imagine, we already know how to do. ~ Len Kasten
1993 quotes by Len Kasten
There is something living deep within us all that welcomes, even relishes, the role of victimhood for ourselves. There is no cause in the world more righteously embraced than our own when we feel someone has wronged us. Perhaps it is a psychological leftover from early childhood, when we felt the primeval terror of the world around us and yearned for the intervention of a mother/protector to keep us safe. Perhaps it makes it easier to explain away our personal failures when the work of an enemy can be blamed. Perhaps we just get tired of long explanations and like the cleanliness of an easy solution. It is for wiser people than me to say. Whatever its allure, this primitive ideology of Hutu Power swept through Rwanda in 1993 and early 1994 with the speed of flame through dry grass. ~ Paul Rusesabagina
1993 quotes by Paul Rusesabagina
1801 Quotes «
» Federalism Quotes