1984 Fatalism Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 1984 Fatalism.

Quotes About 1984 Fatalism

Enjoy collection of 100 1984 Fatalism quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 1984 Fatalism. Righ click to see and save pictures of 1984 Fatalism quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

Fatalism accounts for life as a whole. Whatever happens can be fit within the large generality of individuation, or my journey, or growth. Fatalism comforts, for it raises no questions. There's no need to examine just how events fit in. ~ James Hillman
1984 Fatalism quotes by James Hillman
We've come into the world of '1984,' but it turns out to be '1984'-Lite. ~ P. J. O'Rourke
1984 Fatalism quotes by P. J. O'Rourke
The answer to 1984 is 1776 ~ Alex E. Jones
1984 Fatalism quotes by Alex E. Jones
Most people of action are inclined to fatalism and most of thought believe in providence. ~ David Viscott
1984 Fatalism quotes by David Viscott
We are forced to fall back on fatalism as an explanation of irrational events (that is to say, events the reasonableness of which we do not understand). ~ Leo Tolstoy
1984 Fatalism quotes by Leo Tolstoy
A society oriented towards fatalism, or one in which an interventionist deity forms part of the matrix of causal connections, is bound to produce fewer individuals inclined to probe the unknown with the tools of science. ~ Pervez Hoodbhoy
1984 Fatalism quotes by Pervez Hoodbhoy
As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects a man ~ Bible NIV 1984
1984 Fatalism quotes by Bible NIV 1984
Fatalism is the lazy man's way of accepting the inevitable. ~ Natalie Clifford Barney
1984 Fatalism quotes by Natalie Clifford Barney
Being sick is itself a kind of ressentiment. - Against this the invalid has only one great means of cure - I call it Russian fatalism, that fatalism without rebellion with which a Russian soldier for whom the campaign has become too much at last lies down in the snow. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
1984 Fatalism quotes by Friedrich Nietzsche
While traditionalism can thwart the planners and molders of industry, education, and society in general, fatalism can so stultify a people that passive resignation becomes the approved norm, and acceptance of undesirable conditions becomes the way of life. ~ Jack E. Weller
1984 Fatalism quotes by Jack E. Weller
It is a singular fact that most men of action incline to the theory of fatalism, while the greater part of men of thought believe in providence. ~ Honore De Balzac
1984 Fatalism quotes by Honore De Balzac
I don't believe that it's true that the poor will always be with us. I think that kind of pious fatalism is just an excuse for keeping things the way they are. ~ Margaret Culkin Banning
1984 Fatalism quotes by Margaret Culkin Banning
Criticism alone can sever the root of materialism, fatalism, atheism, free-thinking, fanaticism, and superstition, which can be injurious universally; as well as of idealism and skepticism, which are dangerous chiefly to the Schools, and hardly allow of being handed on to the public. ~ Immanuel Kant
1984 Fatalism quotes by Immanuel Kant
To live lightheartedly but not recklessly; to be gay without being boisterous; to be courageous without being bold; to show trust and cheerful resignation without fatalism - this is the art of living. ~ Jean De La Fontaine
1984 Fatalism quotes by Jean De La Fontaine
Relationships sometimes break like a falling vase into fifty pieces. And when you glue the vase back together, you realize it has lost the luster and pristine appearance that will never return. Now you have two choices. Keep it as it is or throw it away. ~ RJ Intindola – (Gandolfo) – 1984
1984 Fatalism quotes by RJ Intindola – (Gandolfo) – 1984
The fatalism of the Filipino is usually passive, expressed in the classic proverb about our fortune coming to us though we seek it not. But the more complex form of that fatalism sees a man as being steered in a certain direction by one circumstance after another until he finally reaches a point when, though he acts voluntarily - or he thinks he acts voluntarily - he is actually being pushed by the circumstances that brought him to the point of action. The fatalist, as he looks back before he acts, sees everything as having conspired to make him perform that particular act, and therefore sees it as inevitable, as "fate". This is the amok mentality. Afterwards, what others regard as an act of will, the fatalist regards quite sincerely as a product of circumstances. ~ Nick Joaquin
1984 Fatalism quotes by Nick Joaquin
The true Christian reaction to suffering and sorrow is not the attitude of self-pity, fatalism or resentment; it is the spirit which takes life's difficulties as a God given opportunity, and regards its troubles as a sacred trust, and wears the thorns as a crown. ~ James Stewart
1984 Fatalism quotes by James Stewart
Who are these evil ones? In 1984, the evil one was called Goldstein. Orwell was writing a grim parody. But these people running the United States mean what they say. If I were a teacher, I would recommend that all my students very hurriedly read most of Orwell's books, especially 1984 and Animal Farm, because then they'd begin to understand the world we live in. ~ John Pilger
1984 Fatalism quotes by John Pilger
But everyone disappears, no matter who loves them. ~ Dave Eggers
1984 Fatalism quotes by Dave Eggers
Surrendering to God is not passive resignation, fatalism, or an excuse for laziness. ~ Rick Warren
1984 Fatalism quotes by Rick Warren
[in the]..curious way that my idealism has been mixed with my fatalism, so that I can possess the soul of a dreamer and that of a cynic at the same time ... I possess a power of magic ... [to] destroy the balance of a well-designed destiny with my diabolical mind ... ~ Anais Nin
1984 Fatalism quotes by Anais Nin
Lately, I've become sort of a fatalist. Well, that was bound to happen. ~ Alex Bosworth
1984 Fatalism quotes by Alex Bosworth
Christianity teaches that, contra fatalism, suffering is overwhelming; contra Buddhism, suffering is real; contra karma, suffering is often unfair; but contra secularism, suffering is meaningful. There is a purpose to it, and if faced rightly, it can drive us like a nail deep into the love of God and into more stability and spiritual power than you can imagine. ~ Timothy Keller
1984 Fatalism quotes by Timothy Keller
To accept a little death is worse than death itself. ~ Frank Herbert
1984 Fatalism quotes by Frank Herbert
in contrast to a garment of praise, guilt is the uniform. It's a straitjacket called fatalism. ~ Terry Law
1984 Fatalism quotes by Terry Law
The trick is not to be isolated―if you're isolated, like Winston Smith in 1984, then sooner or later you're going to break, as he finally broke. That was the point of Orwell's story. In fact, the whole tradition of popular control has been exactly that: to keep people isolated, because if you can keep them isolated enough, you can get them to believe anything. But when people get together, all sorts of things are possible. ~ Noam Chomsky
1984 Fatalism quotes by Noam Chomsky
You will see me, where there is no darkness. ~ George Orwell
1984 Fatalism quotes by George Orwell
In the face of pain there are no heroes. ~ George Orwell
Fatalism's a weak antidepressant, but there's nothing stronger at Dr. Kumar's. ~ David Mitchell
1984 Fatalism quotes by David Mitchell
In the context of 1948, 1984 seemed dreadfully convincing. But tyrants, after all, are mortal and circumstances change. Recent developments in Russia and recent advances in science and technology have robbed Orwell's book of some of its gruesome verisimilitude. A nuclear war will, of course, make nonsense of everybody's predictions. But, assuming for the moment that the Great Powers can somehow refrain from destroying us, we can say that it now looks as though the odds were more in favor of something like Brave New World than of something like 1984. ~ Aldous Huxley
1984 Fatalism quotes by Aldous Huxley
Mass education, because it produces hosts of badly educated people liberated from fatalism, will contribute to instability (p. 123). ~ Robert D. Kaplan
1984 Fatalism quotes by Robert D. Kaplan
One of the big lies with sin is that we are already waist-deep and might as well just plunge in. ~ Matt Chandler
1984 Fatalism quotes by Matt Chandler
Submission, when it is submission to the truth - and when the truth is known to be both beautiful and merciful - has nothing in common with fatalism or stoicism as these terms are understood in the Western tradition, because its motivation is different. According to Fakhr ad-Din ar-RazT, one of the great commentators upon the Quran: The worship of the eyes is
weeping, the worship of the ears is listening, the worship of the tongue is praise, the worship of the hands is giving, the worship of the body is effort, the worship of the heart is fear and hope, and the worship of the spirit is surrender and satisfaction in Allah. ~ Fakhr Al-Din Al-Razi
1984 Fatalism quotes by Fakhr Al-Din Al-Razi
Determinism gives you the freedom to do whatever you like. ~ Raheel Farooq
1984 Fatalism quotes by Raheel Farooq
All through the night, men looked at the sky and were saddened by the stars. ~ Joseph Heller
1984 Fatalism quotes by Joseph Heller
There's no such thing as probability," she says, slowly, with minimal movement of her jaw. "Things turn out the way they do. ~ Johnny Rich
1984 Fatalism quotes by Johnny Rich
Horror grows impatient, rhetorically, with the Stoic fatalism of Ecclesiastes. That we are all going to die, that death mocks and cancels every one of our acts and attainments and every moment of our life histories, this knowledge is to storytelling what rust is to oxidation; the writer of horror holds with those who favor fire. The horror writer is not content to report on death as the universal system of human weather; he or she chases tornadoes. Horror is Stoicism with a taste for spectacle. ~ Michael Chabon
1984 Fatalism quotes by Michael Chabon
Louis Creed came to believe that the last really happy day of his life was March 24, 1984. ~ Stephen King
1984 Fatalism quotes by Stephen King
Donald Goellnicht. The Poet-Physician: Keats and Medical Science. University of Pittsburgh Press: Pittsburgh, 1984, ~ Stephen Cope
1984 Fatalism quotes by Stephen Cope
The author says people are guilty of wrecking the present because the future was bound to be a wreck. ~ T.H. White
1984 Fatalism quotes by T.H. White
Winston was gelatinous with fatigue. ~ George Orwell
We have control over when, how, and where to plant a seed, not over what it will become. ~ Mokokoma Mokhonoana
1984 Fatalism quotes by Mokokoma Mokhonoana
I knew the President would run for reelection in 1984. Why not? Actors love sequels ... and returns. ~ Bob Hope
1984 Fatalism quotes by Bob Hope
Like the doctrine of determinism, its better-known metaphysical cousin, fatalism holds that it is not in our power to do anything other than what we actually end up doing. ~ David Foster Wallace
1984 Fatalism quotes by David Foster Wallace
The knowledge of His sovereignty is meant to be an encouragement to pray, not an excuse to lapse into a sort of pious fatalism. ~ Jerry Bridges
1984 Fatalism quotes by Jerry Bridges
My tomb shall be in a spot where the north wind may scatter roses over it. ~ Omar Khayyam
1984 Fatalism quotes by Omar Khayyam
Positive words are easier to remember than negative words (Ludwig, 1984). ~ Keith S. Folse
1984 Fatalism quotes by Keith S. Folse
Criticism of the diet-heart hypothesis, which had been lively until the 1984 Consensus Conference, was afterward virtually silenced in the United States. ~ Nina Teicholz
1984 Fatalism quotes by Nina Teicholz
To talk of probability is to suggest that events might happen differently from the way they do, whereas events themselves will unfold according to an inevitable path. ~ Johnny Rich
1984 Fatalism quotes by Johnny Rich
I started Dell 28 yrs ago with $1000. Revenues in 1984 were $6 million. Last year $62.1 billion. Impossible is nothing. ~ Michael Dell
1984 Fatalism quotes by Michael Dell
It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words. ~ George Orwell
It is evident that we are hurrying onward to some exciting knowledge - some never-to-be-imparted secret, whose attainment is destruction. ~ Edgar Allan Poe
1984 Fatalism quotes by Edgar Allan Poe
I've known one thing for a long time: there's a role in the big machine even for someone who makes fun of it. ~ Christa Wolf
1984 Fatalism quotes by Christa Wolf
Wilke subscribed to the principles laid out in a seminal book about constraints in manufacturing, Eliyahu M. Goldratt's The Goal, published in 1984. ~ Brad Stone
1984 Fatalism quotes by Brad Stone
From the fall of October, 1980 to March, 1984 I never lost a competition. ~ Scott Hamilton
1984 Fatalism quotes by Scott Hamilton
I've been writing full-time since about 1984 - mostly magazine features and columns. ~ Mary Roach
1984 Fatalism quotes by Mary Roach
Perhaps no other year before or since 1984 has been awaited with such eager anticipation. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
1984 Fatalism quotes by Arthur C. Clarke
The challenge to Asia is to discard the dry, meatless bone of mysticism and fatalism. ~ Ferdinand Marcos
1984 Fatalism quotes by Ferdinand Marcos
In 1984 the lust for power is satisfied by inflicting pain; in Brave New World, by inflicting a hardly less humiliating pleasure. ~ Aldous Huxley
1984 Fatalism quotes by Aldous Huxley
My dad has a really great record collection that basically went up to the year I was born: 1984. ~ Ezra Koenig
1984 Fatalism quotes by Ezra Koenig
Anything that hinted at corruption always filled him with a wild hope ~ George Orwell
Fatalism is born of the fear of failure, for we all believe that we carry success in our own hands, and we suspect that our hands are weak. ~ Joseph Conrad
1984 Fatalism quotes by Joseph Conrad
The English have always been greedy for news of times past, with that mixture of fatalism and melancholy which is part of the national character. ~ Peter Ackroyd
1984 Fatalism quotes by Peter Ackroyd
Let us eat and drink neither forgetting death unduly nor remembering it. The Lord hath mercy on whom he will have mercy, etc., and the less we think about it the better. ~ Samuel Butler
1984 Fatalism quotes by Samuel Butler
Orthodoxy is unconsciousness. ~ George Orwell
Practically overnight the budgets of federal law enforcement agencies soared. Between 1980 and 1984, FBI antidrug funding increased from $8 million to $95 million.73 Department of Defense antidrug allocations increased from $33 million in 1981 to $1,042 million in 1991. During that same period, DEA antidrug spending grew from $86 to $1,026 million, and FBI antidrug allocations grew from $38 to $181 million.74 By contrast, funding for agencies responsible for drug treatment, prevention, and education was dramatically reduced. The budget of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, for example, was reduced from $274 million to $57 million from 1981 to 1984, and antidrug funds allocated to the Department of Education were cut from $14 million to $3 million.75 ~ Michelle Alexander
1984 Fatalism quotes by Michelle Alexander
There were things, your own acts, from which you could never recover. Something was killed in your breast: burnt out, cauterized out. ~ George Orwell
Until one is close to death, it must be difficult to declare anyone as the love of one's life. ~ Alain De Botton
1984 Fatalism quotes by Alain De Botton
Modern society has evolved to the point where we counter the old-fashioned fatalism surrounding the word 'cancer' by embracing the idea of the Uber-mind - that our will possesses nearly supernatural powers. ~ Abraham Verghese
1984 Fatalism quotes by Abraham Verghese
For whom, it suddenly occured to him to wonder, was he writing this diary? For the future, for the unborn. ~ George Orwell
The award for excessive success is eternal doubt and eventual failure."
"So what, it's stupid to even try?"
"No. It's unwise to hope."
- Something Like Stardust ~ Genevieve Ross
1984 Fatalism quotes by Genevieve Ross
Even during my father's 1984 gubernatorial campaign, it was, 'Do you want to grow up and be governor one day?' 'No. I am four.' ~ Chelsea Clinton
1984 Fatalism quotes by Chelsea Clinton
War reporter Lawrence Sheets's edgy memoir evokes exactly the fatalism, confusion, and centrifugal forces that suddenly broke up the Soviet Union two decades ago. Refreshingly free of faraway theorizing, this book focuses on what people actually saw and experienced in those years. ~ Hugh Pope
1984 Fatalism quotes by Hugh Pope
The same word passed through three minds, simultaneously, philosophical, fatalistic, the eternal refuge of the Italian: Pazienza ... ~ Violet Trefusis
1984 Fatalism quotes by Violet Trefusis
If you can feel that staying human is worth while, even when it can't have any result whatever, you've beaten them. ~ George Orwell
As far as Apple goes, it was a different company every few years from the time I joined in 1984. ~ Alan Kay
1984 Fatalism quotes by Alan Kay
I do not accept history as determinism. I embrace history as possibility [where] we can demystify the evil in this perverse fatalism that characterizes the neoliberal discourse in the end of this century. ~ Paulo Freire
1984 Fatalism quotes by Paulo Freire
It was highly fatalistic, but its fatalism was not one of complacency. It saw life as being ultimately doomed to tragedy, but with the opportunity for grand and noble heroism along the way. The Vikings sought to seize that opportunity, to accomplish as much as they could - and be remembered for it - despite the certainty of the grave and "the wolf." How one met one's fate, whatever that fate happened to be, was what separated honorable and worthy people from the dishonorable and the unworthy. Norse religion and mythology were thoroughly infused with this view. The gods, the "pillars" who held the cosmos together, fought for themselves and their world tirelessly and unflinchingly, even though they knew that in the end the struggle was hopeless, and that the forces Of chaos and entropy would prevail. They went out not with a whimper, but with a bang. This attitude is what made the Vikings the Vikings. ~ Daniel McCoy
1984 Fatalism quotes by Daniel McCoy
But, Doctor. The human race didn't die out in 1984.'
'New timeline. It's a paradox.'
'And you're the paradoctor?'
'Just the Doctor. ~ Neil Gaiman
1984 Fatalism quotes by Neil Gaiman
The NSA is correct, 1984 is now. ~ Michael Gurnow
1984 Fatalism quotes by Michael Gurnow
When 'The Washington Post' ran the first national story about FBI profiling in 1984, no one outside of law enforcement recognized the term. ~ Ronald Kessler
1984 Fatalism quotes by Ronald Kessler
A state of half-ignorance and half-indifference is a much more pervasive climate sickness than true denial or true fatalism. ~ David Wallace-Wells
1984 Fatalism quotes by David Wallace-Wells
My first time ever on the Tony Awards was in 1984, the year of 'The Rink.' ~ Scott Ellis
1984 Fatalism quotes by Scott Ellis
Although we were The Spice Girls of 1984 in Europe, My work has never been widely promoted in the U.S. ~ Holly Johnson
1984 Fatalism quotes by Holly Johnson
Biggest mistake Reagan ever did re: foreign policy? 1984 decision to appease Hezbollah with Lebanon withdrawal ~ Ziad K. Abdelnour
1984 Fatalism quotes by Ziad K. Abdelnour
I majored in English in college, so I read the classic dystopian novels like '1984' and 'Brave New World.' ~ Lois Lowry
1984 Fatalism quotes by Lois Lowry
At least we got to see the worst haircut since 1984 try to steal the spotlight from lovely Taylor Swift. ~ Nathan Followill
1984 Fatalism quotes by Nathan Followill
I'm not interested in the next generation, dear. I'm interested in us.' - Julia ~ George Orwell
Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood. ~ George Orwell
The setting of 'Billy Elliot' is the British miners' strike of 1984-85, about which the average American playgoer knows absolutely nothing. ~ Terry Teachout
1984 Fatalism quotes by Terry Teachout
Sales of George Orwell's 1984 have skyrocketed. It's true. So the fallout from the (NSA spying) scandal is worse than we thought. It's forcing Americans to read. ~ Conan O'Brien
1984 Fatalism quotes by Conan O'Brien
The Colors, The Iliad, Ulysses, Metamorphosis, the Theban plays, The Draconic Labels, Anabasis, and restricted works like The Count of Monte Cristo, Lord of the Flies, Lady Casterly's Penance, 1984, and The Great Gatsby. I ~ Pierce Brown
1984 Fatalism quotes by Pierce Brown
The seasons have changed, and we are getting close to the end of 1984," Tamaru said. "I doubt I'll finish In Search of Lost Time by the end of the year. ~ Haruki Murakami
1984 Fatalism quotes by Haruki Murakami
In that moment he had loved her far more than he had ever done when they were together and free. Also he knew that somewhere or other she was still alive and needed his help. ~ George Orwell
If a person accepts that she will stumble, fall, and even be struck down every now and then, then that is a constructive view because the person will be prepared. Preparedness is not the same as fatalism. ~ Gudjon Bergmann
1984 Fatalism quotes by Gudjon Bergmann
To live in high spirits but not recklessly, to be lighthearted without swaggering or rampaging, to show trust and truthfulness but not unconditionally and not naively, and to face uncertainty with imagination instead of fatalism - this is the art of living.
~ David A. Nyberg
1984 Fatalism quotes by David A. Nyberg
NCI now actually anticipates further increases, and not decreases, in cancer mortality rates, from 171/100,000 in 1984 to 175/100,000 by the year 2000! ~ Samuel Epstein
1984 Fatalism quotes by Samuel Epstein
The object of waging a war is always to be in a better position in which to wage another war. ~ George Orwell
In 1980, in 1984, millions of middle-class Democrats became Reagan Democrats, and more of them drifted toward the Republicans with Bush in 1988. ~ Mario Cuomo
1984 Fatalism quotes by Mario Cuomo
By the late 1990s, it was almost as if the Orwellian scenario of the Mac's "1984" commercial had come true. Big Business, with a pair of capital B's, ruled computing. The drones used what they were told. ~ Brent Schlender
1984 Fatalism quotes by Brent Schlender
Chevreuse Chateau Quotes «
» Your Shadow Self Quotes