1974 Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 1974.

Quotes About 1974

Enjoy collection of 100 1974 quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 1974. Righ click to see and save pictures of 1974 quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

I'm convinced I was the only kid ever who had a Death on the Nile [1978] movie poster and a Murder on the Orient Express [1974] movie poster on his bedroom walls. ~ Christopher Bollen
1974 quotes by Christopher Bollen
They were the good old days. Don't give up hope in the bad new
days, which will become then good old days. We appreciate Kennedy because he was killed; Martin Luther King was a great man. If you'd meet Naropa or Tilopa on the spot you'd be pissed off. History is very deceptive, reality is more important. There is a piece of philosophy for you. ~ Chogyam Trungpa
1974 quotes by Chogyam Trungpa
Most of 'Let the Great World Spin' is centered on the day in 1974 when Philippe Petit walked on a tightrope between the two towers of the World Trade Center, creating an astonishing spectacle that intersects with the lives of many of the novel's multiple protagonists. ~ Susan Barker
1974 quotes by Susan Barker
I find it strange that Gisela Gschaider a 1974 immigrant from Germany is on the brexit panel telling us British what we should do . ~ Alan Sugar
1974 quotes by Alan Sugar
Think about the change that occurred in the 1500m at Christchurch. The 1500m was usually a slow race and then a sprint [at the finish]. But in 1974 I changed that from the beginning to the end. And not many people have thought about that. ~ Filbert Bayi
1974 quotes by Filbert Bayi
On Beauty

No, we could not itemize the list
of sins they can't forgive us.
The beautiful don't lack the wound.
It is always beginning to snow.

Of sins they can't forgive us
speech is beautifully useless.
It is always beginning to snow.
The beautiful know this.

Speech is beautifully useless.
They are the damned.
The beautiful know this.
They stand around unnatural as statuary.

They are the damned
and so their sadness is perfect,
delicate as an egg placed in your palm.
Hard, it is decorated with their face

and so their sadness is perfect.
The beautiful don't lack the wound.
Hard, it is decorated with their face.
No, we could not itemize the list.

Cape Cod, May 1974 ~ Zadie Smith
1974 quotes by Zadie Smith
The Lebanese Civil War, 1975-1990, spanned four World Cups. It would have been a more symmetrical five had the Lebanese begun in 1974, but you know, we're Mediterranean, and timing isn't our forte. ~ Rabih Alameddine
1974 quotes by Rabih Alameddine
After developing a primitive theory (1968) I therefore did not pursue this subject. However, the work was taken up by others and in 1974 the first experiments were done in the ISR. ~ Simon Van Der Meer
1974 quotes by Simon Van Der Meer
Now, therefore, I, Gerald R. Ford, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974. ~ Gerald R. Ford
1974 quotes by Gerald R. Ford
Once the Ahmadis were officially declared non-Muslim in 1974, a new campaign started with the intent to subject the Shias to similar proscriptions. ~ Farahnaz Ispahani
1974 quotes by Farahnaz Ispahani
Like Phoenix, you work all your life to find your way, through all the obstructions and the false appearances and the upsets you may have brought on yourself, to reach a meaning - using inventions of your imagination, perhaps helped out by your dreams and bits of good luck. And finally too, like Phoenix, you have to assume that what you are working in aid of is life, not death. But you would make the trip anyway - wouldn't you? - just on hope. 1974 ~ Eudora Welty
1974 quotes by Eudora Welty
No civilian has been allowed to see the gold in Fort Knox since 1974, nearly 40 years ago. ~ Brad Meltzer
1974 quotes by Brad Meltzer
Beginning with adolescence, my political formation was oriented in the ideological direction of Marxism. It was natural, being that my thinking was influenced by an atmosphere of active critical resistance. That was the way it was during all of the dictatorship and up to the Revolution of 1974. ~ Jose Saramago
1974 quotes by Jose Saramago
We fought in 1974 - that was a long time ago. After 1981, we became the best of friends. By 1984, we loved each other. I am not closer to anyone else in this life than I am to Muhammad Ali. Why? We were forged by that first fight in Zaire, and our lives are indelibly linked by memories and photographs, as young men and old men. ~ George Foreman
1974 quotes by George Foreman
I served as Dean until 1974, when I stepped down to return to full time teaching and research. ~ Frederick Reines
1974 quotes by Frederick Reines
I resigned from the Marine Corps and flying in 1974, even though I loved them both. I quit because I no longer wanted to fight for peace. Instead, I believe we can build a more sustainable peace by working for prosperity. ~ Robert Kiyosaki
1974 quotes by Robert Kiyosaki
Namely, each messenger particle is a string that's executing a particular vibrational pattern. A photon is a string vibrating in one particular pattern, a W particle is a string vibrating in a different pattern, a gluon is a string vibrating in yet another pattern. And, of prime importance, what Schwarz and Scherk showed in 1974 is that there is a parti Table ~ Brian Greene
1974 quotes by Brian Greene
I went to New York in 1974, to either try to get a record deal, get into the New York Art Student League, or be a dancer. So that was my plan. Some plan. And I had no money. ~ John Mellencamp
1974 quotes by John Mellencamp
Unidentified flying objects, abominable snowmen, the Loch Ness monster and human cancer viruses. - Medical World News, 1974, on four "mysteries" widely reported and publicized but never seen ~ Siddhartha Mukherjee
1974 quotes by Siddhartha Mukherjee
It is reported that President Brigham Young once said that he who takes offense when no offense was intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense was intended is usually a fool. It was then explained that there are two courses of action to follow when one is bitten by a rattle snake. One may, in anger, fear, or vengefulness, pursue the creature and kill it. Or he may make full haste to get the venom out of his system. If we pursue the latter we will likely survive, but if we attempt to follow the former, we may not be around long enough to finish it." Marion D. Hank s, in Conference Report, Oct. 1973, 16; or "The Ultimate Form of Love," Ensign, Jan. 1974, 20. ~ Charles R. Hobbs
1974 quotes by Charles R. Hobbs
James Buchan's The Persian Bride combines a moving love story, a political thriller, and a history of modern Iran in a beautiful novel about the relationship of two people caught up in the Iranian revolution: John Pitt, a young man from England who arrives in Isfahan, Iran, in 1974, and seventeen-year-old Shirin, one of John's students, whose father is a general in the shah's army. ~ Nancy Pearl
1974 quotes by Nancy Pearl
My 1974 album 'Mind Over Matter' was a detailed thing about Watergate. I always had some righteous indignation. ~ Robert Klein
1974 quotes by Robert Klein
In my opinion, the greatest misconception about the market is the idea that if you buy and hold stocks for long periods of time, you'll always make money. Let me give you some specific examples. Anyone who bought the stock market at any time between the 1896 low and the 1932 low would have lost money. In other words, there's a 36 year period in which a buy-and-hold strategy would have lost money. As a more modern example, anyone who bought the market at any time between the 1962 low and the 1974 low would have lost money. ~ Victor Sperandeo
1974 quotes by Victor Sperandeo
I vividly remember a conversation I had many years ago in 1974, which marked a turning point in my leadership journey. I was sitting at a Holiday Inn with my friend, Kurt Campmeyer, when he asked me if I had a personal growth plan. I didn't. In fact, I didn't even know you were supposed to have one. ~ John C. Maxwell
1974 quotes by John C. Maxwell
In Indonesia, where I am from, the Dutch-imposed Civil Code dating back to the colonial 1870s prevailed until the 1974 Law on Marriage granted married women greater rights, including the ability to open individual bank accounts. ~ Sri Mulyani Indrawati
1974 quotes by Sri Mulyani Indrawati
I started graduate school in 1971, I started working at the Smithsonian in the festival in 1972. I went full-time at the Smithsonian in 1974. And I got my doctorate in 1975. ~ Bernice Johnson Reagon
1974 quotes by Bernice Johnson Reagon
Penny Arcade said: At that time, the DRUG world and the ART world ran through each other. (1971 - 1974) ~ Legs McNeil
1974 quotes by Legs McNeil
In 1974, when I started working with the material that became 'Horses,' a lot of our great voices had died. We'd lost Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin, and people like Robert Kennedy, Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. ~ Patti Smith
1974 quotes by Patti Smith
As I was leaving graduate school in 1974, I was recruited to join a fledgling SETI project at the Hat Creek Observatory in California, mainly because I knew how to program an ancient PDP8/S computer that had been donated to the project. ~ Jill Tarter
1974 quotes by Jill Tarter
I started in the mailroom, literally, as an intern ... in 1974. The legislator I was working for at the time said, 'I want you to get your law degree and come back here and get elected and be the first woman governor.' I kind of took that guy seriously - I thought that sounded like a pretty good idea. ~ Claire McCaskill
1974 quotes by Claire McCaskill
In 1974 I was trying to get my first little band together. That year marked kind of a traumatic point in my life, but I had a lot of support from friends and family and a lot of good things ended up coming out of it. ~ Emmylou Harris
1974 quotes by Emmylou Harris
Despite a tenfold increase in the use of pesticides between 1947 and 1974 (in the US), crop losses due to pests have ... remained at an estimated 33%. Losses due to insects alone have nearly doubled, ... from 7% in the 1942-1951 period to about 13% in 1974. ~ Frances Moore Lappe
1974 quotes by Frances Moore Lappe
Eric Boocock had been England's No.1 for a spell in the late 60s and early 70s. He reached three world finals and in 1974 put the town on the map by winning the British Championship in front of a 10,000 crowd and ITV's World of Sport cameras. Everybody ~ Tony McDonald
1974 quotes by Tony McDonald
Maybe your aunt is funny in quiet moments with her friends because like many women her age, she was taught to not draw attention to herself. And maybe she also noticed how men of her generation weren't attracted to the women who spoke out of turn and uttered their own opinions out loud. And certainly these types of men weren't attracted to women who were funnier than them. Women have always been funny. They just weren't interested in sharing their jokes with you. Truth in point, my mom is hilarious. She has also been single since 1974. ~ W. Kamau Bell
1974 quotes by W. Kamau Bell
September 11, 1974 - Mets and Cardinals play 25 innings in the longest night game in history ~ Josh Leventhal
1974 quotes by Josh Leventhal
The problem, when comparing contemporary television to television in 1974, is that TV has become not just bad but sad. ~ P. J. O'Rourke
1974 quotes by P. J. O'Rourke
I never did learn to spell. My friend Doris Bry says now that I've ruined her spelling because I misspell with such confidence. ~ Georgia O'Keeffe
1974 quotes by Georgia O'Keeffe
I take care of myself, which includes dieting, exercising and minimising stress. I joke that I've been on a diet since 1974, which is basically true. ~ Kim Cattrall
1974 quotes by Kim Cattrall
I live in Santa Cruz. I moved here in 1974 and couldn't leave. ~ Ellen Bass
1974 quotes by Ellen Bass
I am totally amazed at the spread of interest in meditation. When I first came back from studying in India in 1974, I would be asked in social situations what I did. When I replied, "I teach meditation" they would frequently look at me as though to say "That is weird," and sort of sidle away. ~ Sharon Salzberg
1974 quotes by Sharon Salzberg
Presidential power was overruled by the high bench in July 1974, when President Nixon was ordered to turn over some audio tapes of his White House conversations, including the 'smoking gun' tape of June 23, 1972, that revealing the Watergate cover up. ~ Helen Thomas
1974 quotes by Helen Thomas
An irresistable footnote: in 1971, pension fund managers invested a record 122% of net funds available in equities - at full prices they couldn't buy enough of them. In 1974, after the bottom had fallen out, they committed a then record low of 21% to stocks. ~ Warren Buffett
1974 quotes by Warren Buffett
It may be that we are puppets-puppets controlled by the strings of society. But at least we are puppets with perception, with awareness. And perhaps our awareness is the first step to our liberation. (1974)
~ Stanley Milgram
1974 quotes by Stanley Milgram
When I tell my colleagues that I remember 1969, 1974 and 1987, their eyes glaze over, but I'm afraid I do remember them, and I therefore err on the side of caution. ~ Johann Rupert
1974 quotes by Johann Rupert
Real writers - serious writers with serious subjects, who earn their living at it - all seem to write in small rooms with that knotty-pine 1974 look on the top-floor rear of their houses. Rooms with views. ~ Peter York
1974 quotes by Peter York
1974 meant big cuffs, bell-bottoms, platform shoes with two-tone colors, and body-conscious shirts. ~ Kyle MacLachlan
1974 quotes by Kyle MacLachlan
1974 was a crazy, hazy time for Alan Partridge. The Sixties had come to East Anglia and it was a time of free thinking, free love and in my case free university accommodation. ~ Alan Partridge
1974 quotes by Alan Partridge
Did Indira Gandhi ask for somebody's permission to carry out the test in 1974? ~ Atal Bihari Vajpayee
1974 quotes by Atal Bihari Vajpayee
I remember when I was 11, I did some Kung-fu demonstrations in Hong Kong in 1974. ~ Jet Li
1974 quotes by Jet Li
--
"Don't roach me, funker," she said. "And don't shirk off in your
electro-steamer. This mopsy wants to poke."
--Mack Reynolds, _Commune 2000 A.D._, 1974 ~ Mack Reynolds
1974 quotes by Mack Reynolds
I started teaching yoga in 1974 in Colorado, I was living in Winter Park, and I started teaching skiers. At that point I was teaching more of the Sivananda system and just pushing it up a little bit to make it a little more rajasic a little more active, a little more physical. People would come, and feel great, and by the time I left Colorado in 1980 I'd taught pretty much everyone in town - the ski patrol, ski instructors, the bar owners. ~ Beryl Bender Birch
1974 quotes by Beryl Bender Birch
Frieda was very special," O'Keeffe recalls. "I can remember very clearly the first time I ever saw her, standing in a doorway, with her hair all frizzed out, wearing a cheap red calico dress that looked as though she'd just wiped out the frying pan with it. She was not thin, and not young, but there was something radiant and wonderful about her. ~ Georgia O'Keeffe
1974 quotes by Georgia O'Keeffe
I started working with Bob in 1965. We did go through a lot of changes from 65 to 74, a lot of changes. By 1974, everything had straightened itself out. ~ Rick Danko
1974 quotes by Rick Danko
Bear Market Begin Bear Market End Max DD Sept 1929 June 1932 -86.25 July 1933 March 1935 -33.9% March 1937 March 1938 -54.5% Nov 1938 April 1942 -45.8% May 1946 June 1949 -29.6% July 1957 Oct 1957 -20.6% Dec 1961 June 1962 -28% Feb 1966 Oct 1966 -22.2% Oct 1968 May 1970 -34% Jan 1973 Oct 1974 -48.2% Sept 1976 March 1978 -19.4% Nov 1980 Aug 1982 -27.1% Aug 1987 Dec 1987 -40.4% July 1990 Oct 1990 -21.2% Mar 2000 Oct 2002 -49.1% June 2008 Mar 2009 -54% Average Bear Market: -37.3% Buy and Hold since 1942 Compounded Annual Rate of Return: 8.03% Maximum Draw down: 54% Prior to this decade's two severe bear markets, most investors believed that only that the stock market can go up. ~ Andrew Abraham
1974 quotes by Andrew Abraham
From 1965 to 1974, I served the best possible apprenticeship for an actor. I learned firsthand how a truck driver lives, what a bartender does, how a salesman thinks. I had to make a life inside those jobs, not just pretend. ~ Brian Dennehy
1974 quotes by Brian Dennehy
Honscheid came over from West Germany for the first Hawaiian World Cup and discovered jumping, which was new to him, although Mike Horgan and I were jumping in 1974 and 1975. There ~ Eric Von Hippel
1974 quotes by Eric Von Hippel
I had never been allowed to go on tour with my husband George Harrison, so had no idea what to expect when I left him to join Eric Clapton on his 1974 U.S. tour. ~ Pattie Boyd
1974 quotes by Pattie Boyd
I'll never forget one night Jep was coming home late and got his truck stuck in a muddy road close to where we live. It was in the late 1990s, so Jep had one of the early cell phones in a bag in his truck. It was after midnight, and he called home and Kay woke me up to get Jep out of the mud. I had a Jeep that I bought brand-new in 1974, but it was pretty old by then, and the lights didn't work anymore. I usually only drove the Jeep to my duck hole and back. So I had Kay follow me in her car to provide lights for me to see. It was still raining pretty heavily when we got to the field where Jep's truck was stuck. I jumped out of my Jeep to winch his truck out, but then Kay pulled up right next to me, not realizing she'd driven into the soft mud! Now Jep was stuck in front of me, and Kay was stuck behind me. "I am surrounded by idiots!" I screamed. ~ Phil Robertson
1974 quotes by Phil Robertson
The first proponent of cortical memory networks on a major scale was neither a neuroscientist nor a computer scientist but .. a Viennes economist: Friedrich von Hayek (1899-1992). A man of exceptionally broad knowledge and profound insight into the operation of complex systems, Hayek applied such insight with remarkable success to economics (Nobel Prize, 1974), sociology, political science, jurisprudence, evolutionary theory, psychology, and brain science (Hayek, 1952). ~ Joaquin Fuster
1974 quotes by Joaquin Fuster
When you see a beautiful woman in the street, don't look at her hatefully as if you're about to kill her and don't exhibit excessive longing either; just give her a little smile, avert your eyes, and walk on [1974]. Taking ~ Orhan Pamuk
1974 quotes by Orhan Pamuk
I believe that the law is the most important thing in the world today. I don't mean the practice of lawyers. I mean the law itself. Normally I sleep well. If there's one thing that can keep me awake at night it's a vision, which I sometimes have, of this country being ruled by the wishes of its rulers and not by the rule of law.'

'Could it happen here?'

'Of course it could. It's too bloody easy for a Government to panic and set the law on one side because it happens to be inconvenient. Temporarily, of course. They always mean to bring it back again -- some time.' --Flash Point, 1974 ~ Michael Gilbert
1974 quotes by Michael Gilbert
The photograph, the clothes, the sets - this was about 1974, and I started hanging out with my friend Richard Sold, who was playing in a band with Patti Smith. ~ Stephen Sprouse
1974 quotes by Stephen Sprouse
Let me try to explain to you, what to my taste is characteristic for all intelligent thinking. It is, that one is willing to study in depth an aspect of one's subject matter in isolation for the sake of its own consistency, all the time knowing that one is occupying oneself only with one of the aspects. We know that a program must be correct and we can study it from that viewpoint only; we also know that it should be efficient and we can study its efficiency on another day, so to speak. In another mood we may ask ourselves whether, and if so: why, the program is desirable. But nothing is gained - on the contrary! - by tackling these various aspects simultaneously. It is what I sometimes have called "the separation of concerns", which, even if not perfectly possible, is yet the only available technique for effective ordering of one's thoughts, that I know of. This is what I mean by "focusing one's attention upon some aspect": it does not mean ignoring the other aspects, it is just doing justice to the fact that from this aspect's point of view, the other is irrelevant. It is being one- and multiple-track minded simultaneously. ~ Edsger W. Dijkstra
1974 quotes by Edsger W. Dijkstra
To a degree that can scarcely be imagined today, the bomb became a common mode of American political expression. In 1972, there were 1,962 actual and attempted bombings in the United States, with twenty-five people killed; in 1973, 1,955 bombings, with twenty-two killed; in 1974, 2,044 bombings, with twenty-four killed. The ~ Jeffrey Toobin
1974 quotes by Jeffrey Toobin
So that in 1974, when I graduated as a lawyer, I figured I'm not going to be a lawyer under a military regime. ~ Ruben Blades
1974 quotes by Ruben Blades
After Nixon resigned in 1974, he engaged in a very aggressive war with history, attempting to wipe out the Watergate stain and memory. Happily, history won, largely because of Nixon's tapes. ~ Bob Woodward
1974 quotes by Bob Woodward
Along with my passion for horse breeding, I was a horse racing enthusiast ... In 1974 I was elected as a committee member and subsequently as a steward of the Turf Club. I had a burning desire to clean up the sport, which had always carried the stigma of gambling and manipulation. ~ Cyrus S. Poonawalla
1974 quotes by Cyrus S. Poonawalla
Oh yes, it's definitely been jumped on, that egg. ~ Tony McCabe
1974 quotes by Tony McCabe
As for the public, the PR man, like the advertising expert and others who deal with people in the lump, including a number of would-be-statesmen and redeemers-at-large, conceive of that body as composed of non-ideographic units which are to be regarded not as ourselves but as, ultimately, gadgets of electrochemical circuitry operated by a push-button system of remote control. In fact, in dealing with the public in a purely technological society, the very notion of self is bypassed by various appeals to an undifferentiated unconscious, such appeals often having little or no relation to the vendible object or idea; in this connection history gives us to contemplate the fact that the psychologist J.B. Watson, the founder of American behaviorism, wound up in the advertising business. So history may become parable. ~ Robert Penn Warren
1974 quotes by Robert Penn Warren
All items listed above belong in the world
In which all things are continuous,
And are parts of the original dream which
I am now trying to discover the logic of. This
Is the process whereby pain of the past in its pastness
May be converted into the future tense
Of joy.
I Am Dreaming of a White Christmas: The Natural History of a Vision (1974) ~ Robert Penn Warren
1974 quotes by Robert Penn Warren
There is voluminous evidence that exclusive reliance on heuristic processing tendencies of Type I sometimes results in suboptimal responding (Baron, 2008; Evans, 2007a; Gilovich, Griffin, & Kahneman, 2002; Johnson-Laird, 2006; Kahneman & Tversky, 1973, 1996, 2000; Koehler & Harvey, 2004; Nickerson, 2004, 2008; Nisbett & Ross, 1980; Tversky & Kahneman, 1974, 1983, 1986) and that such thinking errors are not limited to the laboratory (Ariely, 2008; Åstebro, Jeffrey, & Adomdza, 2007; Baron, 1998; Baron, Bazerman, & Shonk, 2006; Belsky & Gilovich, 1999; Berner & Graber, 2008; Camerer, 2000; Chapman & Elstein, 2000; Croskerry, 2009a, 2009b; Dawes, 2001; Hilton, 2003; Kahneman & Tversky, 2000; Lichtenstein & Slovic, 2006; Lilienfeld, Ammirati, & Landfield, 2009; Myers, 2002; Prentice, 2003; Reyna et al., 2009; Stewart, 2009; Sunstein, 2002, 2005; Taleb, 2001, 2007; Tavris & Aronson, 2007; Tetlock, 2005; Thaler & Sunstein, 2008; Ubel, 2000). ~ Keith E. Stanovich
1974 quotes by Keith E. Stanovich
I have been commissioned to write an autobiography and I would be grateful to any of your readers who could tell me what I was doing between 1960 and 1974. ~ Jeffrey Bernard
1974 quotes by Jeffrey Bernard
One of my most vivid memories from 1974 was the gas station at the foot of the hill below my Southern California high school - car lines snaking out into the street, heralding the failure of the government's price controls and lame ideas such as odd-even rationing. ~ Nina Easton
1974 quotes by Nina Easton
There's a great scene in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre [1974] that I'm obsessed with: Sally is being chased by Leatherface with a chainsaw. And she runs into thorn bushes. And she's getting tangled up in it because she's running fast. But Sally needs to move slowly in order to get through the bushes - she will get farther faster by going slowly because her hair and clothes won't get tangled and caught. There's something really beautiful about understanding that, while someone's chasing you with a chainsaw, you have to move more slowly in order to get away. ~ Christopher Bollen
1974 quotes by Christopher Bollen
And there ain't nothin' like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin' in the wind.
Neil Young, "Ambulance Blues" from "On the Beach" (1974) ~ Neil Young
1974 quotes by Neil Young
From 1945 to 1974, the Western world - including America - was more socialistic than capitalistic, more pro-labor than pro-business. ~ Robert Kiyosaki
1974 quotes by Robert Kiyosaki
Groucho Marx continued to alternately call Margaret Dumont "a great lady" and to denigrate her in interviews. But he seemed, at the end, to realize how important she'd been to his career. When accepting his 1974 Lifetime Achievement Oscar, the ailing Groucho told the audience, "I only wish Harpo and Chico could have been here - and Margaret Dumont. ~ Eve Golden
1974 quotes by Eve Golden
By the end of the twentieth century Interpol was ranking art crime as one of the world's most profitable criminal activities, second only to drug smuggling and weapons dealing. The three activities were related: Drug pushers were moving stolen and smuggled art down the same pipelines they used for narcotics, and terrorists were using looted antiquities to fund their activities. This latter trend began in 1974, when the IRA stole $32 million worth of paintings by Rubens, Goya, and Vermeer. In 2001, the Taliban looted the Kabul museum and "washed" the stolen works in Switzerland. Stolen art was much more easily transportable than drugs or arms. A customs canine, after all, could hardly be expected to tell the difference between a crap Kandinksy and a credible one. ~ Laney Salisbury
1974 quotes by Laney Salisbury
What would it be like to think what a gerbil thinks, from a gerbil's point of view? Kind of like Thomas Nigel's 1974 paper, 'What Is It Like to Be a Bat?' There's a subjective character of experience that's never captured in reductive accounts. Know what I mean?'
'Um ... Sure. ~ Steven James
1974 quotes by Steven James
Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. ~ Homer
1974 quotes by Homer
It turned out that between 1945 and 1947, 18 people were injected with plutonium, specifically: 11 at Rochester, New York, 3 at the University of Chicago, 3 at UC San Francisco, and 1, Ebb Cade, at Oak Ridge. Several thousand human radiation experiments were conducted between 1944 and 1974. In 1994, President Clinton appointed the Advisory Committee of Human Radiation Experiments (ACHRE) to investigate these and other experiments funded by the United States government. Their final report was published in 1996. ~ Denise Kiernan
1974 quotes by Denise Kiernan
I remember when I got a call and was told I was traded [to the Yankees in 1974], I actually cried because I liked Kansas City. But coming to the Yankees was the best thing that ever happened to me in my baseball career. ~ Lou Piniella
1974 quotes by Lou Piniella
I wonder if I don't give too much of myself to writing: I am always half where I am; the other half is feeding the furnace, kick-starting the heat of creativity. I am making love with someone but at the same time I'm noticing how this graceful hand across my belly might just fit in with the memory of lilacs in Albuquerque in 1974. ~ Natalie Goldberg
1974 quotes by Natalie Goldberg
From 1976, Judy to 1996, we had six presidential elections. And it was run under the Campaign Finance Reform Act of 1974. In all six of them, every candidate agreed to limits of what he could collect in contributions and what he could spend in seeking a nomination. And they all abided by it. ~ Mark Shields
1974 quotes by Mark Shields
In 1974/75, I spent a sabbatical year with Professor Vince Jaccarino and Dr. Alan King at the University of California in Santa Barbara to get a taste of nuclear magnetic resonance. We solved a specific problem on the bicritical point of MnF2, their home-base material. We traded experience, NMR, and critical phenomena. ~ Heinrich Rohrer
1974 quotes by Heinrich Rohrer
On January 7, 1973, the New York Times featured an interview with one of the nation's top financial forecasters, who urged investors to buy stocks without hesitation: "It's very rare that you can be as unqualifiedly bullish as you can now." That forecaster was named Alan Greenspan, and it's very rare that anyone has ever been so unqualifiedly wrong as the future Federal Reserve chairman was that day: 1973 and 1974 turned out to be the worst years for economic growth and the stock market since the Great Depression. ~ Benjamin Graham
1974 quotes by Benjamin Graham
Conception is the beginning of human life. From the time that an ovum is fertilized a new life begins that is neither that of the father nor of the mother. It is rather the life of a new human being with his own growth. It would never become human if it were not human already. ~ ~ Congregation For The Doctrine Of The Faith, Declaration On Procured Abortion, 1974
1974 quotes by ~ Congregation For The Doctrine Of The Faith, Declaration On Procured Abortion, 1974
Each community has its own idiosyncrasies and their own intrinsic values, which must be respected. No two communities are the same: there are different characteristics that are influenced by the geographical location, race, and finally, a number of circumstances that bear upon the formation of that community. (Juan Peron, The organised community 1974) ~ Kerry Bolton
1974 quotes by Kerry Bolton
I would sing myself with a tambura and just regular a cappella singing and practicing. I did that around 1973 and 1974, and I finally developed my own style of singing. ~ Yoshi Wada
1974 quotes by Yoshi Wada
(in the film "That's Entertainment!" - 1974) Thank God for film, it can capture a moment and hold it there forever. If anyone ever asks you: "Who were they?" or "What made them so good?" I think a reel of film answers that question. ~ Liza Minnelli
1974 quotes by Liza Minnelli
the first retail bar code scanner was used in 1974 to scan a pack of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit gum in a Marsh supermarket in Troy, Ohio. But ~ John Kounios
1974 quotes by John Kounios
Every year, I am conscious of the anniversary of my 1974 World Trade Center walk. ~ Philippe Petit
1974 quotes by Philippe Petit
I've been doing Pilates since 1974, I lift weights, I power walk every day and I run backwards. That's sometimes a little hard when you're not on your home turf, because you've got to find a place where there are no bumps in the way - or people. ~ Britt Ekland
1974 quotes by Britt Ekland
I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974. ~ Jeffrey Eugenides
1974 quotes by Jeffrey Eugenides
Kissinger projects a strong impression of a man at home in the world and on top of his brief. But there are a number of occasions when it suits him to pose as a sort of Candide: naive, and ill-prepared for and easily unhorsed by events. No doubt this pose costs him something in point of self-esteem. It is a pose, furthermore, which he often adopts at precisely the time when the record shows him to be knowledgeable, and when knowledge or foreknowledge would also confront him with charges of responsibility or complicity. ~ Christopher Hitchens
1974 quotes by Christopher Hitchens
After attending a banquet honoring the 1974 BYU team that won the Western AthleticConference and went to the Fiesta Bowl. It was the first of Edwards' 18 WAC champions and 21 bowl teams. That was the group of kids that totally changed the direction of my life and the direction of our football program. We started 0-3-1 and won seven or eight in a row. They were the first bowl team in school history. I hadn't really accomplished anything yet. To see all those guys reminded me where we've been. It was an emotional night. ~ LaVell Edwards
1974 quotes by LaVell Edwards
I remember coming to New York in 1974 to do a play here called 'Equis.' And I remember the first morning getting up and walking around the streets, and I thought, 'I'm home.' I felt really at peace here. ~ Anthony Hopkins
1974 quotes by Anthony Hopkins
It has been a failure of such monumental proportions that political apathy is no longer considered fashnionable or even safe, among millions of people who only two years ago thought that anybody who disagreed openly with the goverment was either paranoid or subversive. Political candidates in 1974, at least, are going to have to deal with an angry, disillusioned electorate that is not likely to settle for flag-waving and pompous bullshit. ~ Hunter S. Thompson
1974 quotes by Hunter S. Thompson
On first listening, Joni Mitchell's 'Court And Spark,' the first truly great pop album of 1974, sounds surprisingly light; by the third or fourth listening, it reveals its underlying tensions. ~ Jon Landau
1974 quotes by Jon Landau
I've done everything. I've sung, done records, plays ... It just so happened my first professional job was as a dancer. I've done the whole shebang, darling. But dancing was my first professional engagement in 1974. I got paid for it, so that was it, my vocation. But my parents weren't keen. They wanted me to be an accountant in Italy. Or a lawyer. They were furious. I had to run away. I had to leave the country. ~ Bruno Tonioli
1974 quotes by Bruno Tonioli
Bed Quotes «
» Bbc Quotes