1951 Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 1951.

Quotes About 1951

Enjoy collection of 46 1951 quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 1951. Righ click to see and save pictures of 1951 quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

I started to study the flute in 1951. The flute has been utilized by African-American musicians as far back as the early Twenties. If you take a look at some of the old pictures of Chick Webb, then you will see the flute right there on the bandstand among the woodwinds. ~ Yusef Lateef
1951 quotes by Yusef Lateef
By 1951, eight million homes had been declared unfit for habitation, of which seven million had no hot water and six million no inside toilet. ~ John Grindrod
1951 quotes by John Grindrod
I helped Ben with the third edition of Security Analysis, published in 1951. ~ Walter Schloss
1951 quotes by Walter Schloss
Cancer treatment receives so much more funding than malaria treatment because malaria is such a cheap problem to solve that rich countries no longer suffer from it. (It was eliminated from the United States in 1951.) The fact that cancer treatment receives so much more funding than malaria treatment means that, on the margin, each of us can provide a far greater benefit for other people by funding the most effective malaria treatments in the developing world than we can by funding the most effective cancer treatments in the developed world. In ~ William MacAskill
1951 quotes by William MacAskill
(The Catholic Church, on the other hand, seized on the big bang model and in 1951 officially pronounced it to be in accordance with the Bible.) There ~ Stephen Hawking
1951 quotes by Stephen Hawking
By most people the 'sense of reality' is understood to be the submission to events and indeed illusion is often salvation. ~ Lionel Trilling
1951 quotes by Lionel Trilling
Several days in a row we sighted groups of metallic, saucer-shaped vehicles at great altitudes over the base Germany, 1951 and we tried to get close to them, but they were able to change direction faster than our fighters. I do believe UFOs exist and that the truly unexplained ones are from some other technically advanced civilization. ~ Gordon Cooper
1951 quotes by Gordon Cooper
When you look at the whole period from 1944 to 1951, the entire Western intelligence effort, which was pretty big, was what you might call minus advantage. We'd have been better off doing nothing. ~ Miles Copeland Jr.
1951 quotes by Miles Copeland Jr.
In 1951, a man bought a pickup truck because he needed to load things up and move them. Things like bricks and bags of feed. Somewhere along the line trendsetters and marketers got involved, and now we buy pickups
big, horse-powered, overbuilt, wide-assed, comfortable pickups
so that we may stick our key in the ignition of an icon, fire up an image, and drive off in a cloud of connotations. I have no room to talk. I long to get my International running part so I can drive down roads that no longer exist. ~ Michael Perry
1951 quotes by Michael Perry
Between 1950 and 1951, I worked as a temporary employee in the Cologne Bureau of Statistics. From summer 1951 on, I have lived as a freelance writer with a fixed postal address in Cologne but with a continually shifting place of work. ~ Heinrich Boll
1951 quotes by Heinrich Boll
I arrived in San Francisco in January 1951. After the Second World War, the population was so uprooted. Soldiers came back home for brief periods and took off again. So the population was very fluid, and suddenly it was as if the continent tilted west. The whole population slid west. It took 10 years for America to coalesce into a new culture. And the new culture happened in San Francisco, not New York. ~ Lawrence Ferlinghetti
1951 quotes by Lawrence Ferlinghetti
In 1951, the Columbia University sociologist C. Wright Mills published a study titled White Collar: The American Middle Classes.26 Like Ronald Coase, Mills was fascinated by the rise of large managerial corporations. He argued that these firms, in their pursuit of scale and efficiency, had created a vast tier of workers who carried out repetitive, mechanistic tasks that stifled their imagination and, ultimately, their ability to fully participate in society. In short, Mills argued, the typical corporate worker was alienated. For many, that alienation was captured in the warning printed on the Hollerith punch cards that, thanks to IBM and other data processing firms, became ubiquitous symbols and agents of bureaucratized life during the 1950s and 1960s: "Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate. ~ Moises Naim
1951 quotes by Moises Naim
I became a Republican in 1951, the first year I could vote. ~ Clint Eastwood
1951 quotes by Clint Eastwood
On June 20, 1951, less than four weeks after the Homer case broke, Hoover escalated the FBI's Sex Deviates Program. The FBI alerted universities and state and local police to the subversive threat, seeking to drive homosexuals from every institution of government, higher learning, and law enforcement in the nation. The FBI's files on American homosexuals grew to 300,000 pages over the next twenty-five years before they were destroyed. It took six decades, until 2011, before homosexuals could openly serve in the United States military. ~ Tim Weiner
1951 quotes by Tim Weiner
I did have an occasion in 1951 to have two days of observation of many flights of them, they were of different sizes, flying in fighter formation, generally from east to west over Europe. ~ Gordon Cooper
1951 quotes by Gordon Cooper
Professor Wilkes is best known as the builder and designer of the EDSAC, the first computer with an internally stored program. Built in 1949, the EDSAC used a mercury delay line memory. He is also known as the author, with Wheeler and Gill, of a volume on "Preparation of Programs for Electronic Digital Computers" in 1951, in which program libraries were effectively introduced. ~ Maurice Wilkes
1951 quotes by Maurice Wilkes
At dusk a broken wheel appeared, Held by a hand I could not see, And I knew that someone I feared, Had discovered an empty room in me" ~ 1951 ~ Gavin Maxwell
1951 quotes by Gavin Maxwell
Despite a tenfold increase in the use of pesticides between 1947 and 1974 (in the US), crop losses due to pests have ... remained at an estimated 33%. Losses due to insects alone have nearly doubled, ... from 7% in the 1942-1951 period to about 13% in 1974. ~ Frances Moore Lappe
1951 quotes by Frances Moore Lappe
At six years old we didn't have any money;
there was my mother, my brother and I.
We had a deadbeat dad; left us before we were
two, but she took us at Christmas-time to
downtown Los Angeles.
We had little cars going around in circles,
it was pretty cool, and decorations in the
window.
She gave my brother and I a dime and told
us, "Boys whole half of it each, give it to
the man ringing the bell in the bucket."
We put it in this bucket, we said, "Mom, why
did we give that man a dime?
That's like two soda pops."
This is 1951, two soda pops, three candy bars.
And mom said, "Boys, that's the Salvation
Army.
They take care of people that have no place
to live and no food.
And we don't have a lot of money, but we can
afford a dime this year.
Boys, always remember in life: give a little
something to those in need, they'll always
be somebody that's not as well-off as you
are.

No matter where you are or how far down you
are, try and help someone along the way."
It stuck with me. ~ John Paul DeJoria
1951 quotes by John Paul DeJoria
I went to M.I.T. in the summer of 1951 as a 'C.L.E. Moore Instructor.' I had been an instructor at Princeton for one year after obtaining my degree in 1950. It seemed desirable more for personal and social reasons than academic ones to accept the higher-paying instructorship at M.I.T. ~ John Forbes Nash, Jr.
1951 quotes by John Forbes Nash, Jr.
That's how the world is arranged: they can take anyone's freedom from him, without a qualm. If we want to take back the freedom which is our birthright - they make us pay with our lives and the lives of all whom we meet on the way.
They can do anything, but we cannot. That's why they are stronger than we. ~ Georgi Tenno
1951 quotes by Georgi Tenno
as eminent political theorist Hannah Arendt saw back in 1951: "Would-be totalitarian rulers usually start their careers by boasting of their past crimes and carefully outlining their future ones. ~ Brooke Gladstone
1951 quotes by Brooke Gladstone
[Fall, 1951]

To me Acapulco is the detoxicating cure for all the evils of the city: ambition, vanity, quest for success in money, the continuous contagious presence of power-driven, obsessed individuals who want to become known, to be in the limelight, noticed, as if life among millions gave you a desperate illness, a need of rising above the crowd, being noticed, existing individually, singled out from a mass of ants and sheep. It has something to do with the presence of millions of anonymous faces, anonymous people, and the desperate ways of achieving distinction. Here, all this is nonsense. You exist by your smile and your presence. You exist for your joys and your relaxations. You exist in nature. You are part of the glittering sea, and part of the luscious, well-nourished plants, you are wedded to the sun, you are immersed in timelessness, only the present counts, and from the present you extract all the essences which can nourish the senses, and so the nerves are still, the mind is quiet, the nights are lullabies, the days are like gentle ovens in which infinitely wise sculptor's hands re-form the lost contours, the lost sensations of the body. The body comes to life. Quests, pursuits of concrete securities of one kind or another lose all their importance. As you swim, you are washed of all the excrescences of so-called civilization, which includes the incapacity to be happy under any circumstances. ~ Anais Nin
1951 quotes by Anais Nin
I attended Amherst College from 1951 to 1955. The first two years were a revelation. There were innumerable exchanges with brilliant classmates, among them the playwright Ralph Allen, the classics scholar Robert Fagles, and the composer Michael Sahl. ~ Edmund Phelps
1951 quotes by Edmund Phelps
That which a man continually thinks about determines his actions in times of opportunity and stress. I will know what you are if you tell me what you think about when you don't have to think. ~ David O. McKay
1951 quotes by David O. McKay
This address book was a snapshot of her world in 1951: layers of friends and acquaintances accumulated over the years, and a few new ones, surely. But who really mattered in this list? Who telephoned her? What numbers did she dial? If someone found our smartphone contacts today, wouldn't they see our favorites, reconstruct the history of our calls, read our texts and emails, listen to our messages? They would know our entires lives. This book of hers was silent as the grave. ~ Brigitte Benkemoun
1951 quotes by Brigitte Benkemoun
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us.
[The One Un-American Act, Speech to the Author's Guild Council in New York, on receiving the 1951 Lauterbach Award (December 3, 1952)] ~ William O. Douglas
1951 quotes by William O. Douglas
The catch off Bobby Morgan
(a backhanded grab of the Brooklyn Dodger's line drive in September 1951 at Ebbets Field) in Brooklyn was the best catch I ever made. Jackie Robinson
and (Giants manager) Leo Durocher
were the first people I saw when I opened my eyes ~ Willie Mays
1951 quotes by Willie Mays
Miles Davis was a part of my life from 1947 on. I was born in 1941 and I first heard him in 1947 on a 78 rpm. And then I followed his career, starting with his first solo album in 1951. He was an icon and inspiration and a mentor to me. ~ Chick Corea
1951 quotes by Chick Corea
'Dragnet' (the 1951 original, transferred nearly intact from radio) served as a veritable template for all cop shows to come. ~ Tom Shales
1951 quotes by Tom Shales
Back in my days as a chemistry student, I used to be quite a technocrat. I was firmly convinced that scientists would have cornered God and photographed Him in color by 1951. ~ Kurt Vonnegut
1951 quotes by Kurt Vonnegut
I was on the mathematics faculty at M.I.T. from 1951 through until I resigned in the spring of 1959. ~ John Forbes Nash, Jr.
1951 quotes by John Forbes Nash, Jr.
There is real hope for a culture that makes it as easy to buy a book as it does a pack of cigarettes."--a civic leader quoted in a New American Library ad (1951) American Pulp tells the story of the midcentury golden age of pulp paperbacks and how they brought modernism to Main Street, democratized literature and ideas, spurred social mobility, and helped readers fashion new identities. ~ Paula Rabinowitz
1951 quotes by Paula Rabinowitz
In 1951, Air Scoop published a long list of organizations that the government had labeled totalitarian, Communist, or subversive, the clear message that affiliation with any of them might jeopardize one's job. ~ Margot Lee Shetterly
1951 quotes by Margot Lee Shetterly
My real education began when I entered the University of Chicago in September 1951 as a graduate student. ~ James Cronin
1951 quotes by James Cronin
After the navy, I transferred to Harvard and finished there. I was there the spring term of 1951 and I stayed through the summer term and a whole other year, so I was able to do two years in a little less than a year and a half. ~ Harry Mathews
1951 quotes by Harry Mathews
I entered Yale in the fall of 1951, and about November of that year, Bill Buckley published 'God and Man at Yale.' ~ M. Stanton Evans
1951 quotes by M. Stanton Evans
You asked for brief sketch of my stuff that is connected with my imaginary world. It is difficult to say anything without saying too much: the attempt to say a few words opens a floodgate of excitement, the egoist and the artist at once desires to say how the stuff has grown, what it is like, and what he thinks he means or is trying to represent by it all."

-JRR Tolkien, 1951 ~ J. Carson Rose
1951 quotes by J. Carson Rose
Many people do not like the idea that time has a beginning, probably because it smacks of divine intervention. (The Catholic Church, on the other hand, seized on the big bang model and in 1951 officially pronounced it to be in accordance with the Bible. ~ Stephen Hawking
1951 quotes by Stephen Hawking
In January 1951, high commissioner of occupied Germany John McCloy announced that only five of the 15 death sentences from the Nuremberg judgments would be carried out. He then reduced the sentences of 64 out of the remaining 74 war criminals. One third of these were to be released immediately. He also reduced the sentences of all remaining convicted doctors who had experimented on concentration camp inmates. McCloy had sat in Adolf Hitler's box at the 1936 Olympic games in Berlin. ~ Carol Rutz
1951 quotes by Carol Rutz
A 1951 declassified document clarifies the kind of people that were employed by the CIA to teach hypnotism. "On 2 July 1951, instruction began with [deleted] relating some of his sexual experiences. [Deleted] stated the he had constantly used hypnotism as a means of inducing young girls to engage in sexual intercourse with him. [Deleted] stated that many times while going home on [deleted], he would use hypnotic suggestion to have a girl turn around and talk to him and suggest sexual intercourse to him; and that as a result of these suggestions induced by him, he spent approximately five nights a week away from home engaging in sexual intercourse. ~ Carol Rutz
The average Mexican lives longer now than the average Briton did in 1955. Infant mortality is lower today in Nepal than it was in Italy in 1951. The proportion of Vietnamese living on less than $2 a day has dropped from 90 per cent to 30 per cent in twenty years. The rich have got richer, but the poor have done even better. ~ Matt Ridley
1951 quotes by Matt Ridley
Suzanne Briet proposed in 1951 that an antelope running wild would not be a document, but an antelope taken into a zoo would be one, ~ Lisa Gitelman
1951 quotes by Lisa Gitelman
As (the Soviet newspaper) Pravda said in 1951,"If ever the spy Allen Dulles should arrive in Heaven through somebody's absent-mindedness, he would begin to blow up the clouds, mine the stars, and slaughter the angels." Allen Dulles cared little for the methods that were used to accomplish the secret projects he funded. Proof of this is clear when you look at his attempts in 1950 to convince John McCloy to intervene in General Alexander von Falkenhausen's trial. Von Falkenhausen had executed hostages in Belgium throughout the war and ordered the deportation of 25,000 Jews to death camps. Von Falkenhausen drew a twelve-year sentence but was freed after three weeks. ~ Carol Rutz
The country is like a great sponge - it finally absorbs you. Eventually you will get malaria or you will get dysentery and whatever you do, if you don't keep doing it, the jungle will grow over you. Black or white, you've got to fight it every minute of the day. ~ Katharine Hepburn
1951 quotes by Katharine Hepburn
[In 1951] we were also told that the Russians could be parachuting from planes over our town at any time. These were the same Russians that my uncles had fought alongside only a few years earlier. Now they had become monsters who were coming to slit our throats and incinerate us. It seemed peculiar. Living under a cloud of fear like this robs a child of his spirit. It's one thing to be afraid when someone's holding a shotgun on you, but it's another thing to be afraid of something that's just not quite real. ~ Bob Dylan
1951 quotes by Bob Dylan
1950s Quotes «
» Africa Quotes