1924 Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 1924.

Quotes About 1924

Enjoy collection of 29 1924 quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 1924. Righ click to see and save pictures of 1924 quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

In 1924 Mao took a Chinese friend, newly arrived from Europe, to see the notorious sign in the Shanghai park, 'Chinese and Dogs Not Allowed'. ~ Paul Johnson
1924 quotes by Paul Johnson
Americans until 1924. States like Arizona and New Mexico found ways to continue restricting voting rights until 1948, just as several southern states continue to do in this century to African Americans. ~ Brian D. McLaren
1924 quotes by Brian D. McLaren
The young man who, at the end of September, 1924, dismounted from a taxicab in South Square, Westminster, was so unobtrusively American that his driver had some hesitation in asking for double his fare. The young man had no hesitation in refusing it. ~ John Galsworthy
1924 quotes by John Galsworthy
All Coolidge had to do in 1924 was to keep his mean trap shut, to be elected. All Harding had to do in 1920 was repeat Avoid foreign entanglements. All Hoover had to do in 1928 was to endorse Coolidge. All Roosevelt had to do in 1932 was to point to Hoover. ~ Robert E. Sherwood
1924 quotes by Robert E. Sherwood
Because it's there.
-George Mallory, one of the first climbers to attempt Everest, when asked why he wanted to climb it. (He disappeared into a cloud near the summit in 1924, where his body was found in 1999.) ~ Stephen Bezruchka
1924 quotes by Stephen Bezruchka
In January 1924, as a sweeping immigration measure awaited presidential signature, American Jewish Committee leader Louis Marshall asked to meet with President Calvin Coolidge to urge a veto. Coolidge refused to see him. The president's views were summed up in an article he had written a few years earlier in Good Housekeeping magazine, titled "Whose Country Is This?" "[B]iological laws show us that Nordics deteriorate when mixed with other races," Coolidge wrote. ~ J.J. Goldberg
1924 quotes by J.J. Goldberg
Kiernan and baseball - it's like waving a carrot in front of a mule. Put tickets to a ballgame in front of Kiernan's face and he'll follow you pretty much wherever you want to go. After that first game we attended in 1905, it didn't take much for me to convince him to see another game in 1912, and then one in 1924, and so on. ~ Rysa Walker
1924 quotes by Rysa Walker
In a famous Middletown study of Muncie, Indiana, in 1924, mothers were asked to rank the qualities they most desire in their children. At the top of the list were conformity and strict obedience. More than fifty years later, when the Middletown survey was replicated, mothers placed autonomy and independence first. The healthiest parenting probably promotes a balance of these qualities in children. ~ Richard Louv
1924 quotes by Richard Louv
A transference neurosis corresponds to a conflict between ego and id, a narcissistic neurosis corresponds to that between between ego and super-ego, and a psychosis to that between ego and outer world. ~ Sigmund Freud
1924 quotes by Sigmund Freud
On international relations, Eleanor Roosevelt really takes a great shocking leadership position on the World Court. In fact, it amuses me. The very first entry in her FBI file begins in 1924, when Eleanor Roosevelt supports American's entrance into the World Court. And the World Court comes up again and again - '33, '35. In 1935, Eleanor Roosevelt goes on the air; she writes columns; she broadcast three, four times to say the US must join the World Court. ~ Blanche Wiesen Cook
1924 quotes by Blanche Wiesen Cook
What is the hidden influence behind the press, behind all the sub-versive movements going on around us? Are there several Powers at work? Or is there one Power, one invisible group directing all the rest - the circle of the real Initiates? - Nesta Webster, Secret Societies and Subversive Movements, London, Boswell, 1924, p. 348 ~ Umberto Eco
1924 quotes by Umberto Eco
The pejorative parigüayo, Watchers agree, is a corruption of the English neologism "party watcher." The word came into common usage during the First American Occupation of the DR, which ran from 1916-1924. (You didn't know we were occupied twice in the twentieth century? Don't worry, when you have kids they won't know the U.S. occupied Iraq either.) ~ Junot Diaz
1924 quotes by Junot Diaz
My schooling was disrupted by the shortage of labor during World War I. It meant foregoing high school. Then, late in 1921, I entered upon a short course in agriculture at South Dakota State College. I managed to enter college in 1924, and I was permitted to complete my college work in three years. ~ Theodore Schultz
1924 quotes by Theodore Schultz
Brains are a hindrance to action: the man who sees all sides takes none. ~ Minutes Of The 220nd Meeting Of The Boobooks Club 1924.
1924 quotes by Minutes Of The 220nd Meeting Of The Boobooks Club 1924.
It's literally true, as Shakespeare said
all the world's a stage. It wasn't that way when I first got into the movies in 1924, but it is now. That's why I find Hollywood newer and more exciting every day. Whatever you hear it's still a place where a kid from Montana can jump on a horse, ride that-a-way, and keep right on going. ~ Gary Cooper
1924 quotes by Gary Cooper
I become more than ever convinced that it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days. It was the rigid simplicity, the utter self-effacement of Hussein, the scrupulous regard for pledges, his intense devotion to his friends and followers and his intrepidity, his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and in his own mission. These and not the sword carried everything before them and surmounted every obstacle. ~ Mahatma Gandhi
1924 quotes by Mahatma Gandhi
Taking our inspiration from an article on the proper way to walk in a city that appeared recently in the celebrated Parisian magazine Matin, we too should make our feelings clear to people who have yet to learn how to conduct themselves on the streets of Istanbul and tell them, "Don't walk down the street with your mouth open" [1924]. It ~ Orhan Pamuk
1924 quotes by Orhan Pamuk
The trial of Jesus of Nazareth, the trial and rehabilitation of Joan of Arc, any one of the witchcraft trials in Salem during 1691, the Moscow trials of 1937 during which Stalin destroyed all of the founders of the 1924 Soviet REvolution, the Sacco-Vanzetti trial of 1920 through 1927- there are many trials such as these in which the victim was already condemned to death before the trial took place, and it took place only to cover up the real meaning: the accused was to be put to death. These are trials in which the judge, the counsel, the jury, and the witnesses are the criminals, not the accused. For any believer in capital punishment, the fear of an honest mistake on the part of all concerned is cited as the main argument against the final terrible decision to carry out the death sentence. There is the frightful possibility in all such trials as these that the judgement has already been pronounced and the trial is just a mask for murder. ~ Katherine Anne Porter
1924 quotes by Katherine Anne Porter
So in 1924, Eleanor Roosevelt really gets a sense of what the limits of the battle and the contours of the battle are going to be. The men are contemptuous of the women, and the women really need to organize. She writes an article which becomes an article she writes in different ways over and over and over again: Women need to organize. They need to create their own bosses. They need to have support networks and gangs so that they are a force. ~ Blanche Wiesen Cook
My parents emigrated from Poland in 1924 with my brother, who was a few months old. They were from a simple family of Polish Jews. They were looking, I suppose, for a better economic life and were escaping from an anti-Semitic environment. ~ Francois Englert
1924 quotes by Francois Englert
Probably no one here knows I coached a football team - a service team - playing against Georgetown. I think it was in the fall of 1924 Lou Little was your coach, and he beat us. But it was a very happy circumstance, because it brought me the friendship of another man, Lou Little, who to this day remains my very warm associate and friend. ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower
1924 quotes by Dwight D. Eisenhower
I know the greatness of Christianity; it is a past greatness.. I live in 1924, and the Christian venture is done. ~ D.H. Lawrence
1924 quotes by D.H. Lawrence
I mean, in the campaign of '24 and in '28 and '32, you know, Eleanor Roosevelt insists that women have equal floor space. And this is a great victory over time. Then she wants women represented in equal numbers as men. And she wants the women to name the delegates. And the men want to name the delegates. Well, Eleanor is absolutely furious. And because they don't want her to walk away in 1924, she wins. And this is a great political victory. She has floor space equal to the men, and she has the right to name the women. ~ Blanche Wiesen Cook
As Churchill said about the Great War, and he said this in about 1924, that it was the first war in which man realized that he could obliterate himself completely. If you consider the way the whole world was impacted, 18 million people worldwide died, and that is taking into account military and civilian deaths: 18 million people. And it was the whole world, if you will. You know, many of those trenches were dug by Chinese. There are photographs of Chinese looking like they just came from China, with their hats and so on, digging the trenches, right from the beginning. ~ Jacqueline Winspear
1924 quotes by Jacqueline Winspear
The United States, you know, people - one of the reasons that it is said that native people received citizenship in 1924 was so that they could be drafted. And they have been extensively drafted. ~ Winona LaDuke
1924 quotes by Winona LaDuke
Education should be the process of helping everyone to discover his uniqueness. -Leo Buscaglia (1924-1998) ~ Leo Buscaglia
1924 quotes by Leo Buscaglia
The hideousness {the author] sees is the reflection of himself, and of the automatic meat-lust with which he approaches another individual…Even the most "beautiful" woman is still a human creature. If {the author] approached her as such, as a being instead of as a piece of lurid meat, he would have no horrors afterwards.

(in 1924, writing in response to a misogynistic article titled, 'The Ugliness of Women'.) ~ D.H. Lawrence
1924 quotes by D.H. Lawrence
From 1924 to 1965, 41 years, essentially, there was no immigration. Try telling people that in the midst of this debate and they won't believe you. They'll think you're making it up. They'll think you're lying about it. ~ Rush Limbaugh
1924 quotes by Rush Limbaugh
Neurosis is the result of a conflict between the ego and its id, whereas psychosis is the analogous outcome of a similar disturbance in the relation between the ego and its environment (outer world). ~ Sigmund Freud
1924 quotes by Sigmund Freud
Self Quotes «
» Conflict Quotes