1916 Easter Rising Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 1916 Easter Rising.

Quotes About 1916 Easter Rising

Enjoy collection of 39 1916 Easter Rising quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 1916 Easter Rising. Righ click to see and save pictures of 1916 Easter Rising quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

Where courage and judgement are equally required a clever coward is better than a stupid hero. ~ Michael Collins
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Michael Collins
At the water's edge, barrels of pitch blazed like huge bonfires. Their reflection, crimson as the rising moon, crept to meet us in long, wide stripes. The burning barrels threw light on their own smoke and on the long human shadows that flitted about the fire; but further to the sides and behind them, where the velvet ringing rushed from, was the same impenetrable darkness. Suddenly slashing it open, the golden ribbon of a rocket soared skywards; it described an arc and, as if shattering against the sky, burst and came sifting down in sparks.
- Easter Night ~ Anton Chekhov
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Anton Chekhov
Ieronym took hold of the cable with both hands, curved himself into a question mark, and grunted. The ferry creaked and lurched. The silhouette of the peasant in the tall hat slowly began to recede from me--which meant that the ferry was moving. Soon Ieronym straightened up and began working with one hand. We were silent and looked at the bank towards which we were now moving. There the "lumination" which the peasant had been waiting for was already beginning. At the water's edge, barrels of pitch blazed like huge bonfires. Their reflection, crimson as the rising moon, crept to meet us in long, wide stripes. The burning barrels threw light on their own smoke and on the long human shadows that flitted about the fire; but further to the sides and behind them, where the velvet ringing rushed from, was the same impenetrable darkness. Suddenly slashing it open, the golden ribbon of a rocket soared skywards; it described an arc and, as if shattering against the sky, burst and came sifting down in sparks. On the bank a noise was heard resembling a distant "hoorah."

"How beautiful," I said.

"It's even impossible to say how beautiful!" sighed Ieronym. "It's that kind of night, sir! At other times you don't pay attention to rockets, but now any vain thing makes you glad. Where are you from? ~ Anton Chekhov
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Anton Chekhov
The History of Ireland in two words: Ah well.

The Invasion by the Vikings: Ah well.

The Invasion by the Normans. The Flight of the Earls, Mr Oliver Cromwell. Daniel O'Connell, Robert Emmett, The Famine, Charles Stewart Parnell, Easter Rising, Michael Collins, Éamon De Valera, Éamon De Valera again (Dear Germany, so sorry to learn of the death of your Mr Hitler), Éamon De Valera again, the Troubles, the Tribunals, the Fianna Fáil Party, The Church, the Banks, the eight hundred years of rain: Ah well.

In the Aeneid Virgil tells it as Sunt lacrimae rerum, which in Robert Fitzgerald's translation means 'They weep for how the world goes', which is more eloquent than Ah well but means the same thing. ~ Niall Williams
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Niall Williams
I am very proud of this work because it is more about the meaning of the Easter Rising and its relationship to what this whole century has been about, people liberating themselves, freeing themselves. ~ Leon Uris
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Leon Uris
If you have no share in the living Lord may God have mercy upon you! If you have no share in Christ's rising from the dead then you will not be raised up in the likeness of His glorified body. If you do not attain to that resurrection from among the dead then you must abide in death. ~ Charles Spurgeon
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Charles Spurgeon
And if you wish to receive of the ancient city an impression with which the modern one can no longer furnish you, climb--on the morning of some grand festival, beneath the rising sun of Easter or of Pentecost--climb upon some elevated point, whence you command the entire capital; and be present at the wakening of the chimes. Behold, at a signal given from heaven, for it is the sun which gives it, all those churches quiver simultaneously. First come scattered strokes, running from one church to another, as when musicians give warning that they are about to begin. Then, all at once, behold!--for it seems at times, as though the ear also possessed a sight of its own,--behold, rising from each bell tower, something like a column of sound, a cloud of harmony. First, the vibration of each bell mounts straight upwards, pure and, so to speak, isolated from the others, into the splendid morning sky; then, little by little, as they swell they melt together, mingle, are lost in each other, and amalgamate in a magnificent concert. It is no longer anything but a mass of sonorous vibrations incessantly sent forth from the numerous belfries; floats, undulates, bounds, whirls over the city, and prolongs far beyond the horizon the deafening circle of its oscillations.

Nevertheless, this sea of harmony is not a chaos; great and profound as it is, it has not lost its transparency; you behold the windings of each group of notes which escapes from the belfries. ~ Victor Hugo
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Victor Hugo
Life is wasted if we do not grasp the glory of the cross, cherish it for the treasure that it is, and cleave to it as the highest price of every pleasure and the deepest comfort in every pain. What was once foolishness to us - a crucified God - must become our wisdom and our power and our only boast in this world. ~ John Piper
1916 Easter Rising quotes by John Piper
I tried to hold fire once...see from a distance it mesmerized me
captivated me
for hours at a time
The more it danced with the wind,
I felt my body sway to its rhythm
I tried to hold fire once
It's glow drew me in closer
And although I know full well the damage that fire can do...
Staring directly at it,
I know it's beauty too
It's warmth was now on my face and
I couldn't imagine being in any other place
I reached out with my bare hands &
it danced even more
And suddenly I felt it's heat deep within my core
Rising like a volcano ready to erupt
But somehow balanced & purposeful
I tried to hold fire once
until I realized that fire held me Passionately and
I was it's guiding force.
If you look close enough, you'll see it dancing in my eyes,
feel it in my touch,
even hear it in my voice...but don't ever forget that fire consumes and cannot be contained so I must master my energetic output to control the flames. ~ Sanjo Jendayi
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Sanjo Jendayi
We can no longer speak of a bourne from which no traveler e'er returns. The middle wall of partition has been broken down and the boundary become but an invisible line by the resurrection of Christ. That He who died has been raised again and ever lives in the form of a complete humanity is the fundamental fact in the revelation of the Christian doctrine of immortality. ~ B. B. Warfield
1916 Easter Rising quotes by B. B. Warfield
The rising wave of nostalgia and an increasing interest in heritage sites and historic buildings is perhaps not only a sense of yearning for a lost Singapore, but also the recognition that neither 1959 nor 1965 marked Year One (...) In all the campaigns and features on Singapore's 50th anniversary that I've come across, the Kranji War Memorial was never mentioned. It just doesn't fit the slender narrative. That's such a shame because the cemetery is a fitting, dignified tribute to thousands of Singapore heroes, both local and foreign. ~ Neil Humphreys
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Neil Humphreys
Love always involves responsibility, and love always involves sacrifice. And we do not really love Christ unless we are prepared to face His task and to take up His Cross. ~ William Barclay
1916 Easter Rising quotes by William Barclay
Sometimes you only get one chance to rewrite the qualities of the character you played in a person's life story. Always take it. Never let the world read the wrong version of you. ~ Shannon L. Alder
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Shannon L. Alder
Each year in early spring, during the season of Lent, which begins on Ash Wednesday and concludes on Easter, a plenitude of books, magazine articles, and television shows about Jesus appear. ~ Jay Parini
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Jay Parini
A rising mass movement attracts and holds a following not by its doctrine and promises but by the refuge it offers from the anxieties, barrenness and meaningless of an individual existence. It cures the poignantly frustrated not by conferring upon them an absolute truth or by remedying the difficulties and abuses which made their lives miserable, but by freeing them from their ineffectual selves and it does this by enfolding and absorbing them into a closely knit and exultant corporate whole. ~ Eric Hoffer
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Eric Hoffer
He stepped around me until he and Kale were nose to nose.
Even though I knew it was the remnants of the storm, I could almost imagine the lightning overhead as sparks rising from the shoulders of each boy.
Clashing Titans ready to fight to the death. ~ Jus Accardo
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Jus Accardo
That night I was alone in my room with the lights off. The radio was on and I was staring at the ceiling. I couldn't sleep much at night anymore because that was when the hollow, empty feeling was the worst. At night there's nothing to hold your mind to the earth, and you spend the entire time falling into an abyss. The only cure is the rising of the sun. ~ Damien Echols
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Damien Echols
Are we likely to see rising sea-levels? Not in our lifetimes or hose of our grandchildren. It is not even clear that sea-levels have risen at all. As so often in this domain, there is conflicting evidence. The melting of polar or sea ice has no direct effect. ~ Don Aitkin
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Don Aitkin
In 2016, let us all join the Rising, and the only final message is this very clear: Up the Rebels. Up a sovereign and independent Irish republic. ~ Martin McGuinness
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Martin McGuinness
The rising of the sun is an enough motivation to the chlorophyll ~ King Annan
1916 Easter Rising quotes by King Annan
The fate of the worm refutes the pretended ethical teaching of the proverb, which assumes to illustrate the advantage of early rising and does so by showing how extremely dangerous it is. ~ Thomas Bailey Aldrich
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Thomas Bailey Aldrich
Our first night in the house, my wife and I were lying in bed. I was thanking God for my blessings. Thanking God for not having to pull aside a dining room curain to have my children near - that they were right down the hall, asleep in their Superman underwear, their little chests rising and falling to the pulse of their dreams.
I thought how some blessings are fickle guests. Just when we think they're here to stay, they pack their bags and move. When we're in the midst of blessing, we think it's our due - that blessing lasts forever. Next thing you know we're sitting helpless beside a hospital bed. All we're left with is a name on a wall, a toy in a desk, and memories that haunt our sleep.
Sometimes we come to gratitute too late. It's only after blessing has passed on that we realize what we had.
- chapter 2 ~ Philip Gulley
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Philip Gulley
What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Marcus Tullius Cicero
The leaders of the Pahlavi regime, in an attempt to forestall the rising tide of the Islamic revolutionary movement, were hard at work to cast doubt on the question of the Imam Khomeini's position as a Marja'a (a top religious authority) and in this way, undermine public faith in his academic, political and religious competence. ~ Yousef Saanei
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Yousef Saanei
Even a fool could see that one didn't need a war, nuclear or otherwise, to destroy oneself; the rising cost of weaponry could do that quite nicely. ~ Stanislaw Lem
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Stanislaw Lem
I don't have it within me to do what God does for me. That's why he's God and I'm not. ~ Craig D. Lounsbrough
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Craig D. Lounsbrough
People tend to stay at home and eat a home-cooked meal. There are three days that are really slow for restaurants - Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. ~ Alan K. Simpson
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Alan K. Simpson
So how was it possible that the sun was rising now in the middle of my midnight. - Edward Cullen. ~ Stephenie Meyer
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Stephenie Meyer
With every rising of the sun, Think of your life as just begun. The past has shrived and buried deep All yesterdays; there let them sleep. Concern yourself with but today, Woo it, and teach it to obey Your will and wish. Since time began Today has been the friend of man; But in his blindness and his sorrow, He looks to yesterday and tomorrow. You, and today! a soul sublime, And the great pregnant hour of time, With God himself to bind the twain! Go forth, I say-attain, attain! With God himself to bind the twain! ~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Ella Wheeler Wilcox
While the rain continued it had seemed like the murmur of their voices, rising and swelling a little now and then with gusts of emotion. ~ F Scott Fitzgerald
1916 Easter Rising quotes by F Scott Fitzgerald
Rising above the squadrons, so he was visible to all, he raised his arm and his sword. "This is our land," he said, augmenting his voice so it'd reach every man and woman, mortal and immortal, who'd fight this day. "We will not be intimidated, and we will not surrender. We did not begin this war, but we will end it!" A roar shook the world, arms and voices raised in solidarity. ~ Nalini Singh
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Nalini Singh
Literature is love. I think it went like this: drawings in the cave, sounds in the cave, songs in the cave, songs about us. Later, stories about us. Part of what we always did was have sex and fight about it and break each other's hearts. I guess there's other kinds of love too. Great friendships. Working together. But poetry and novels are lists of our devotions. We love the feel of making the marks as the feelings are rising and falling. Living in literature and love is the best thing there is. You're always home. ~ Eileen Myles
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Eileen Myles
The years of disillusion, the long debate of who-belongs-to-who, gathered at the mighty feet of the Bangladesh Liberation War like flood waters rising, gathering thick weeds and crusty dirt and pulling it all in one direction. At times, when the body count was high and the air tasted like bloody ash, the way mass graves smell, Sariyah had wondered what progress was supposed to taste like. Often it tasted like unanswered questions, stuck in the teeth. Bangladesh had given her the true answer, though: progress at its best is home-grown. It should taste like joy – pure, unhindered joy. Like the freshest sun-ripened mango on a tree, a little sunrise in her palm. ~ Katherine Russell
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Katherine Russell
To succeed, this movement will have to change our ideals in fundamental ways. It will have to kill off the traditional American dream, the idea of constant striving for a better future, symbolized by the middle-class goal of a rising income and the purchase of a little house with a yard - not to mention the freedom to move where you please, run your life, and govern your town with your neighbors when you get there. Greg Galluzzo, Obama's mentor and the man who created the grassroots crusade that inspired Building One America, dismisses the American dream as a sham. What really makes Americans move to the suburbs, says Galluzzo, is 'racism and greed. ~ Stanley Kurtz
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Stanley Kurtz
I hope the people on Wall Street will pay attention to the people on Main Street. If they do, they will see there is a rising tide of confidence in the future of America. ~ Ronald Reagan
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Ronald Reagan
Hand in hand, we climb the processional stair, rising in the celebratory uproar of a capricious court. As we enter the palace, we are blinded by the ascent from sunshine into darkness. ~ Katherine Longshore
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Katherine Longshore
many corporate boards lack the understanding to evaluate marketing strategies and expenditures. Most directors - and a rising percentage of Fortune 500 CEOs - lack deep experience in this field. ~ Paul W. Farris
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Paul W. Farris
She wandered through the crowded feast hall, listening as wine greased tongues and dimmed minds. Her uncle Dalinar was in the full swing of it, rising from the high table to shout for the Parshendi to bring out their drummers. Jasnah's brother, Elhokar, hurried to shush their uncle - though the Alethi politely ignored Dalinar's outburst. All save Elhokar's wife, Aesudan, who snickered primly behind a handkerchief. Jasnah ~ Brandon Sanderson
1916 Easter Rising quotes by Brandon Sanderson
Few ever lived to old age, and fewer still ever became distinguished, who were not in the habit of early rising. ~ John Todd
1916 Easter Rising quotes by John Todd
History Repeating Itself Quotes «
» Irishhistory Quotes