1867 Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 1867.

Quotes About 1867

Enjoy collection of 15 1867 quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 1867. Righ click to see and save pictures of 1867 quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

In August 1867, a thirteen-year-old142 boy who had severely cut his arm while operating a machine at a fair in Glasgow was admitted to Lister's infirmary. The boy's wound was open and smeared with grime - a setup for gangrene. But rather than amputating the arm, Lister tried a salve of carbolic acid, hoping to keep the arm alive and uninfected. The wound teetered on the edge of a terrifying infection, threatening to become an abscess. But Lister persisted, intensifying his application of carbolic acid paste. For a few weeks, the whole effort seemed hopeless. But then, like a fire running to the end of a rope, the wound began to dry up. A month later, when the poultices were removed, the skin had completely healed underneath. ~ Siddhartha Mukherjee
1867 quotes by Siddhartha Mukherjee
When Dickens arrives in the United States in November of 1867, he's already in questionable health. So by the end of the trip, he was really in failing condition, and really, he would never recover completely after this point, and you could sort of draw a straight line to his ultimate decline and death. ~ Matthew Pearl
1867 quotes by Matthew Pearl
International League of Peace and Freedom, was formed in 1867 in Geneva. Its ~ Mark Kurlansky
1867 quotes by Mark Kurlansky
There are days when I rather detest living in the year 1867. Everything moves so quickly. Change is happening at such a pace. I preferred the way of life thirty years ago when I was a boy. ~ John Boyne
1867 quotes by John Boyne
Persons appear to us according to the light we throw upon them from our own minds. -Laura Ingalls Wilder, author (1867-1957) ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder
1867 quotes by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Dynamite, which was invented in 1867 by Swedish chemist Alfred Nobel, was a godsend for anarchists and other militants, since it was a powerful weapon that was easy to conceal. Nobel was so dismayed to see his invention used for violent purposes - he had intended it to be used for peaceful endeavors such as construction - that he left millions of dollars in his will to establish the annual Nobel Prizes, including the Nobel Peace Prize. ~ Jeffrey D. Simon
1867 quotes by Jeffrey D. Simon
Light control works; close control leads to overreaction, sometimes causing the machinery to break into pieces. In a famous paper "On Governors," published in 1867, Maxwell modeled the behavior and showed mathematically that tightly controlling the speed of engines leads to instability. ~ Nassim Nicholas Taleb
1867 quotes by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Nebraska was home to indigenous peoples for centuries. It became a state in 1867, and has produced an important literary figure, Willa Cather, as well as an investor said to be the world's second richest man, Warren Buffett. ~ Stephen Kinzer
1867 quotes by Stephen Kinzer
A modern girls' school, equipped as scores are now equipped throughout the country, was of course not to be found in 1858, when I first became a school boarder, or in 1867, when I ceased to be one. ~ Mary Augusta Ward
1867 quotes by Mary Augusta Ward
Le vrai est trop simple, il faut y arriver toujours par le compliqué."

("The truth is too simple: one must always get there by a complicated route.")

[Letter to Armand Barbès, 12 May 1867] ~ George Sand
1867 quotes by George Sand
I loved nearly all my teachers; but it was not till I went home to live at Oxford, in 1867, that I awoke intellectually to a hundred interests and influences that begin much earlier nowadays to affect any clever child. ~ Mary Augusta Ward
1867 quotes by Mary Augusta Ward
When the Canadian confederation took place in 1867, a lot of people in Quebec said, 'Could we have a referendum?' They said, 'Oh, no. In the British tradition, the Parliament can do anything, excluding changing a man into a woman, and, therefore, no referendum' - and that was that. ~ Jacques Parizeau
1867 quotes by Jacques Parizeau
GREAT EXPECTATIONS [1867 Edition] by Charles Dickens [Project Gutenberg Editor's Note: There is also another version of this work etext98/grexp10.txt scanned from a different edition] ~ Anonymous
1867 quotes by Anonymous
Luxembourg was at first a castle, then a fortified city, and eventually a mighty fortress. It didn't become an open city until 1867 when the fortress was partially dismantled. A series of inner and outer walls, or line of palisades, had defended the approaches to the city. Today many of these walls, ruins of towers, and stockades still stand. Within the rock foundation of the city, a network of underground tunnels had been built. ~ John Dolibois
1867 quotes by John Dolibois
My mother was actually born in Ohio but raised in West Virginia where her family had a laundry. She has a West Virginian accent. My father was born in China, but he's the son of an American citizen. My paternal grandfather was born in San Francisco in 1867. ~ Laurence Yep
1867 quotes by Laurence Yep
Shellfire Vpn Quotes «
» Sebastien Soriano Quotes