138 139 Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 138 139.

Quotes About 138 139

Enjoy collection of 36 138 139 quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 138 139. Righ click to see and save pictures of 138 139 quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

A good book deserves an active reading. The activity of reading does not stop with the work of understanding what a book says. It must be completed by the work of criticism, the work of judging. The undemanding reader fails to satisfy this requirement, probably even more than he fails to analyze and interpret. He not only makes no effort to understand; he also dismisses a book simply by putting it aside and forgetting it. Worse than faintly praising it, he damns it by giving it no critical consideration whatever. ~ Mortimer J. Adler
138 139 quotes by Mortimer J. Adler
It was inevitable that she should accept any inconsistency and cruelty from her deity as all good worshipers do from theirs. All gods who receive homage are cruel. All gods dispense suffering without reason. Otherwise they would not be worshiped. Through indiscriminate suffering men know fear and fear is the most divine emotion. It is the stones for altars and the beginning of wisdom. Half gods are worshiped in wine and flowers. Real gods require blood.(138-139) ~ Zora Neale Hurston
138 139 quotes by Zora Neale Hurston
But as a kid, I preferred the black side, and often wished that Mommy had sent me to black schools like my friends. Instead I was stuck at that white school, P.S. 138, with white classmates who were convinced I could dance like James Brown. They constantly badgered me to do the "James Brown" for them, a squiggling of the feet made famous by the "Godfather of Soul" himself, who back in the sixties was bigger than life. I tried to explain to them that I couldn't dance. I have always been one of the worst dancers that God has ever put upon this earth. ~ James McBride
138 139 quotes by James McBride
The first transatlantic cable was not laid until 1956, and it could transmit only 36 calls at any one time. As late as 1966, only 138 simultaneous calls could take place between Europe and all of North America, ~ Michael Strong
138 139 quotes by Michael Strong
Faced with a wealth of text but a poverty of context, scholars have focused obsessively on what they can know. They have counted every word he wrote, logged every dib and jot. They can tell us (and have done so) that Shakespeare's works contain 138,198 commas, 26,794 colons, and 15,785 question marks; that ears are spoken of 401 times in his plays; that dunghill is used 10 times and dullard twice; that his characters refer to love 2,259 times but to hate just 183 times; that he used damned 105 times and bloody 226 times, but bloody-minded only twice; that he wrote hath 2,069 times but has just 409 times; that all together he left us 884,647 words, made up of 31,959 speeches, spread over 118,406 lines. ~ Bill Bryson
138 139 quotes by Bill Bryson
I walked to his bedside table next. Infinite Mayhem. the ninth sequel to The Prince of Dawn, lay atop the table next to his reading lamp, the corner of page 138 turned down. He'd never made it to the end of the book. 'Spoiler alert: Mayhem survives,' I said out loud to him, just in case he could hear me. ~ John Green
138 139 quotes by John Green
And oftentimes, to win us to our harm, 135 The instruments of darkness tell us truths, 136 Win us with honest trifles, to betray 's 137 In deepest consequence. - 138 ~ William Shakespeare
138 139 quotes by William Shakespeare
The first fruit of love is the musing of the mind on God. He who is in love, his thoughts are ever upon the object. He who loves God is ravished and transported with the contemplation of God. "When I awake, I am still with thee" (Psalm 139:18). The thoughts are as travelers in the mind. David's thoughts kept heaven-road. "I am still with Thee." God is the treasure, and where the treasure is, there is the heart. By this we may test our love to God. What are our thoughts most upon? Can we say we are ravished with delight when we think on God? Have our thoughts got wings? Are they fled aloft? Do we contemplate Christ and glory? ... A sinner crowds God out of his thoughts. He never thinks of God, unless with horror, as the prisoner thinks of the judge. ~ Dallas Willard
138 139 quotes by Dallas Willard
The Restoration began with the prayer of a 14-year-old boy and a vision of the Father and the Son. The dispensation of the fulness of times was ushered in.The Restoration of the gospel brought knowledge of the premortal existence. From the scriptures, we know of the Council in Heaven and the decision to send the sons and daughters of God into mortality to receive a body and to be tested (see D&C 138:56; see also Romans 8:16). We are children of God. We have a spirit body housed, for now, in an earthly tabernacle of flesh. The scriptures say, 'Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?' (1 Corinthians 3:16). ~ Boyd K. Packer
138 139 quotes by Boyd K. Packer
The experience of this demoralizing crisis [of the Babylonian exile], which appeared to negate all the central elements that Yahweh had ordained for Israel's well-being, could easily have meant the end of Israel's religion. Remarkably, it provoked instead an almost explosive flowering of theological literature during the exilic period. (p. 139) ~ Rainer Albertz
138 139 quotes by Rainer Albertz
It seems I have always been fortunate to be in a certain provident, which must be my sole skill, and worth, and luck. [p. 138] ~ Chang-rae Lee
138 139 quotes by Chang-rae Lee
I may be stumbling through these steps, but at least I'm stumbling forward. ~ Emery Lord
138 139 quotes by Emery Lord
There is no environment where man can flee to escape the revelational presence of God (Ps. 139:8). ~ Greg L. Bahnsen
138 139 quotes by Greg L. Bahnsen
While many have been left behind by Part D, there is a clear winner: the drug industry. Independent analysts predict that Part D will increase drug industry profits by $139 billion over the next eight years. Glaxo-SmithKline's second-quarter net income already jumped 14 percent, and other leading drug companies also have benefited. ~ Louise Slaughter
138 139 quotes by Louise Slaughter
I like to believe that we are more alike in our positive experiences than in our negative ones that what binds us is stronger than what separates us.
pg 139 ~ Marcelo Figueras
138 139 quotes by Marcelo Figueras
How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them!
If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand. ~ Psalms 139
138 139 quotes by Psalms 139
... I draw on the work of Piaget (1968) in identifying conflict as the harbinger of growth and also on the work of Erikson (1964) who, in charting development through crisis, demonstrates how a heightened vulnerability signals the emergence of a potential strength, creating a dangerous opportunity for growth, "a turning point for better or worse" (p. 139). ~ Carol Gilligan
138 139 quotes by Carol Gilligan
Let me tell you the truth: You are enough. You are more than enough. God made you, and God does not make junk. "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." (Ps. 139:13) You are not just a body; you are a body and a soul. You have an inmost being that does not come from your parents, from the physical DNA that they gave you, but from God Almighty who breathed life specially and intentionally into your very self. Not only did God create you, He continues to care for you and watch over you. "Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid." (Luke 12:7) ~ Leah Darrow
138 139 quotes by Leah Darrow
Problems are a part of life in a fallen world, and they are necessary part of it, necessary to our testing and to our growth. ~ Rousas John Rushdoony
138 139 quotes by Rousas John Rushdoony
That is what love is - the ability to push aside all the stupid stuff, no matter who brought it on or why, and to embrace what's important. Pg. 138 Undone ~ Brooke Taylor
138 139 quotes by Brooke Taylor
It took 139 years to find her and only a few precious days to lose her, so if leaving was the right thing to do, shouldn't it be easier than this? ~ Georgia Cates
138 139 quotes by Georgia Cates
Look, I know it's none of my business, but you should really either get a job or get married, one or the other. I mean, seriously. Or better still, you should do both. Otherwise you're going to end up starving to death sometime, you know. You're really living on the edge. (138) ~ Sayaka Murata
138 139 quotes by Sayaka Murata
Where had Mrs. Borkowski's should gone?

(p. 139) ~ Kate DiCamillo
138 139 quotes by Kate DiCamillo
Then there was the gray of human habitation. The blue places were turning brown, the yellow places to dust, the green places to smoke and ashes. Each time one of the animals disappeared
they went by species or sometimes by organizations of species, interconnected
it was as though all mountains were gone, or all lakes. A certain form of the world. But in the gray that metastasized over continents and hemispheres few appeared to be deterred by this extinguishing or even to speak of it, no one outside fringe elements and elite groups, professors and hippies, small populations of little general importance. The quiet mass disappearance, the inversion of the Ark, was passing unnoticed. ~ Lydia Millet
138 139 quotes by Lydia Millet
Look for a wave shaped like an A.

An A.

Hmm.

I saw Zs and H's and Vs. I saw the Hindi alphabet and the Thai alphabet. I saw Arabic script. I saw no As.

Finally I gave up, and chose the next wave that would have me, which turned out to be a poor move.

There is a moment, shortly after one accepts the imminence of one's demise, when it occurs that you could be elsewhere: that if you simply left the house a little later, or lingered over a Mai Tai, you would not be here now confronting your mortality. This moment occurred just as I encountered a very large (from my perspective), rare and surprising wave. A wave that was pitching and howling, and it really had no business being where it was - underneath me.

The demon wave picked me up, and after that I have only a a vague recollection of spinning limbs, a weaponized surf board, and chaotic white water, churning together over a reef.

I decided surfing was not for me. I generally no longer engage in adrenaline rush activities that carry with them a strong likely hood of life-altering injury. (p. 138)
~ J. Maarten Troost
138 139 quotes by J. Maarten Troost
What good I thought I could do, all alone, against thousands of years of mistrust and the power of a Demonlord, I cannot now imagine: but such are the dreams of youth, too gloriously stupid to realise what cannot be done.
And without those dreams, how should we ever accomplish the impossible? ~ Elizabeth Kerner
138 139 quotes by Elizabeth Kerner
The Chinese had first learned of the Roman Empire in 139 B.C., when the emperor Wudi had sent an envoy, Zhang Qian, past the deserts to seek allies to the west. Zhang Qian traveled for twelve years to what is now Turkistan and back and reported on the astounding discovery that there was a fairly advanced civilization to the west. In 104 B.C. and 102 B.C., Chinese armies reached the area, a former Greek kingdom called Sogdiana with its capital in Samarkand, where they met and defeated a force partly composed of captive Roman soldiers. ~ Mark Kurlansky
138 139 quotes by Mark Kurlansky
I sometimes subscribe to the belief that all historical events occur simultaneously, like a dream in the mind of God. Perhaps it is only man who views time sequentially and tries to impose a solar calendar upon it. What if other people, both dead and unborn, are living out their lives in the same space we occupy, without our knowledge or consent?
The Glass Rainbow, p. 138 ~ James Lee Burke
138 139 quotes by James Lee Burke
Told you what? Alec's hand slid up Jace's arm to his shoulder. Magnus cleared his throat. Alec dropped his hand, red-faced, while Simon grinned into his undrunk coffee.
-pg.139- ~ Cassandra Clare
138 139 quotes by Cassandra Clare
While I knew that true beauty came from the inside, I had missed the fact that God doesn't make mistakes. He makes us who we are – forming us in our mother's wombs (Ps. 139:13), and what we see as our imperfections He sees as His beautiful creation. ~ Heather Hart
138 139 quotes by Heather Hart
It is the expression of the anxiety of meaninglessness and of the attempt to take this anxiety into the courage to be as oneself. (139) ~ Paul Tillich
138 139 quotes by Paul Tillich
Knowledge is that which the soul desires."136
8. "Knowledge is the falling of the soul ('s sight)137 upon that which is
concealed deep inside it ( fî sirrihâ), and its stopping there and not com-
ing out from it and leaving it."138
9. "Knowledge, is a secret (sirr) that is thrust into the soul. If it is
applied to the discernment (tamyîz) of the existing things, the careful
searcher of the object sought, who controls a thing entirely and com-
prehends the newly arising object of perception, its essence, and its
substance absolutely, finds it . . . ~ Franz Rosenthal
138 139 quotes by Franz Rosenthal
The study of theology is not merely a theoretical exercise of the intellect. It is a study of the living God, and of the wonders of all his works in creation and redemption. We cannot study this subject dispassionately! We must love all that God is, all that he says, and all that he does. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart" (Deut. 6:5). Our response to the study of the theology of Scripture should be that of the psalmist who said, "How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!" (Ps. 139:17). In the study of the teachings of God's Word, it should not surprise us if we often find our hearts spontaneously breaking forth in expressions of praise and delight like those of the psalmist. ~ Wayne A. Grudem
138 139 quotes by Wayne A. Grudem
Because there might come a day when there is no flashlight, there is no gun, there is no guiding hand. And I want to be ready for it. (divergent pg.138) ~ Veronica Roth
138 139 quotes by Veronica Roth
Every shot feels like the first shot of the day. If I'm on the range hitting shot after shot, I can hit them just as good as I did when I was 30. But out on the course, your body changes between shots. You get out of the cart, and you've got this 170-yard 5-iron over a bunker, and it goes about 138. ~ Lee Trevino
138 139 quotes by Lee Trevino
We are realizing our own inseparability from each other and from the totality of all life. Usury belies this union, for it seeks growth of the separate self at the expense of something external, something other. (pg 139) ~ Charles Eisenstein
138 139 quotes by Charles Eisenstein
Stillness Quotes «
» 138 8 Quotes