100 Sideways Miles Quotes

Collection of famous quotes and sayings about 100 Sideways Miles.

Quotes About 100 Sideways Miles

Enjoy collection of 45 100 Sideways Miles quotes. Download and share images of famous quotes about 100 Sideways Miles. Righ click to see and save pictures of 100 Sideways Miles quotes that you can use as your wallpaper for free.

I guess that's a sign of growing up: When your dad shuts up but you can hear him anyway. ~ Andrew Smith
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Andrew Smith
When you think about it, the universe is nothing but this vast knackery of churning black holes and exploding stars, constantly free atoms that collect together and become something else, and something else again. ~ Andrew Smith
Look: Words did not frighten my father. They scared the shit out of me. I almost couldn't believe I'd worked up the guts to ask the question and not choke to death in the process. But words were the atoms in my father's universe, and he was their destroyer and their creator. ~ Andrew Smith
Everything in physiology follows the rule that too much can be as bad as too little. There are optimal points of allostatic balance. For example, while a moderate amount of exercise generally increases bone mass, thirty-year-old athletes who run 40 to 50 miles a week can wind up with decalcified bones, decreased bone mass, increased risk of stress fractures and scoliosis (sideways curvature of the spine) - their skeletons look like those of seventy-year-olds. To put exercise in perspective, imagine this: sit with a group of hunter-gatherers from the African grasslands and explain to them that in our world we have so much food and so much free time that some of us run 26 miles in a day, simply for the sheer pleasure of it. They are likely to say, "Are you crazy? That's stressful." Throughout hominid history, if you're running 26 miles in a day, you're either very intent on eating someone or someone's very intent on eating you. ~ Robert M. Sapolsky
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Robert M. Sapolsky
Flight is many things. Something clean and swift, like a bird skimming across the sky. Or something filthy and crawling; a series of crablike movements through figurative and literal slime, a process of creeping ahead, jumping sideways, running backward.
It is sleeping in fields and river bottoms. It is bellying for miles along an irrigation ditch. It is back roads, spur railroad lines, the tailgate of a wildcat truck, a stolen car and a dead couple in lovers' lane. It is food pilfered from freight cars, garments taken from clotheslines; robbery and murder, sweat and blood. The complex made simple by the alchemy of necessity ~ Jim Thompson
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Jim Thompson
Do you do this all the time?' he asked.

'No,' I said. 'Just today.'

He smiled. ~ Francesca Zappia
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Francesca Zappia
In my final year at Bristol University, I wrote a play called 'White Feathers.' It was produced in the studio theatre at the students' union in early 1999, when I was 21. It's 100 pages long: a very traditional play, with an interval, about deserters in the First World War. ~ Laura Wade
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Laura Wade
Galen and Rayna are close."
I gasp. "How do you know that? I can't feel them." My heart turns traitor, beating like I just ran five miles uphill. It has nothing to do with sensing and everything to do with the mention of Galen's name.
"I'm a Tracker, Emma. I can sense them from almost across the world. Especially Rayna. And from the feel of things, Galen is flittering that cute little fin of his like crazy to get back to you. Rayna must be riding on his back."
"You can tell what she's doing?"
"I can tell how fast she's moving. No one can swim as fast as Galen, Rayna included. He must be pretty impatient to see you."
"Yeah. Impatient for me to change so he can have another royal subject to order around."
Toraf's laughter startles me, not because it's loud, but because his mood seems to swing around on an axis. "Is that what you think?" he says. ~ Anna Banks
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Anna Banks
A true crisis. Class 3 outbreaks, more than any other, demonstrate the clear threat posed by the living dead. Zombies will number in the thousands, encompassing an area of several hundred miles. ~ Max Brooks
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Max Brooks
All the companies I've worked for have this deep problem of devolving to something like the hunting and gathering cultures of 100,000 years ago. If businesses could find a way to invent 'agriculture,' we could put the world back together and all would prosper. ~ Alan Kay
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Alan Kay
But say a man does know. He sees the world as it is and he looks back thousands of years to see how it all came about. He watches the slow agglutination of capital and power and he sees its pinnacle today. He sees America as a crazy house. He sees how men have to rob their brothers in order to live. He sees children starving and women working sixty hours a week to get to eat. He sees a whole damn army of unemployed and billions of dollars and thousands of miles of land wasted. He sees war coming. He sees when people suffer just so much they get mean and ugly and something dies in them. But the main thing he sees is that the whole system of the world is built on a lie. And although it's as plain as the shining sun - the don't-knows have lived with that lie so long they just can't see it. ~ Carson McCullers
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Carson McCullers
I love music, and a lot of it. Jazz is probably on the top with guys like Miles Davis. But I even enjoy music from the '60s and '70s. ~ Donovan Bailey
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Donovan Bailey
Joy is one part inner peace, one part giddy delight and 100% attainable. ~ Oprah Winfrey
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Oprah Winfrey
As Deborah Rhode describes, "When 1,100 Michigan elementary students were asked to describe what life would be like if they were the opposite sex, over 40 percent of the girls saw advantages to being male; they would have better jobs, higher incomes, and more respect. Ninety-five percent of the boys saw no advantage to being female, and a substantial number thought suicide would be preferable." ~ Deborah Rhode
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Deborah Rhode
When a man purchases a necessary appliance such as a TV with a flat screen the size of a squash court, he cannot afford to fritter away valuable minutes reading the owner's manual, especially when the first seventeen pages consist of statements like: WARNING: Do not test the electrical socket by sticking your tongue into it. A man does not need instructions written by and for idiots. A man already knows, based on extensive experience in the field of being male, that the way to handle an appliance is to plug all the plugs into the holes that look to be about the right size or color, then turn everything on and see what happens. This is the system I use, and it has proved to be 100 percent effective roughly 65 percent of the time. ~ Dave Barry
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Dave Barry
ONE OF THE first things the Nazis did was to distribute 100,000 free radio sets to the Austrian Christians. Where did they get these radios? From us, of course. Right after the Anschluss, the Jews were required to turn in their typewriters and their radios, the idea being that if we could not communicate with each other or the outside world, we would be isolated and more easily terrorized and manipulated. It was a good idea. It worked well. ~ Edith Hahn Beer
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Edith Hahn Beer
Continuous scans of the brain to measure changes in blood flow) could control a robot hundreds of miles away just by imagining moving different parts of his body. The subject could see from the robot's perspective, thanks to a camera on its head, and when he thought about moving his arm or his legs, the robot would move correspondingly almost instantaneously. The possibilities of thought-controlled motion, not only for "surrogates" like separate robots but also for prosthetic limbs, are particularly exciting in what they portend for mobility-challenged or "locked in" individuals - spinal-cord-injury patients, amputees and others who cannot communicate or move in their current physical state. ~ Eric Schmidt
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Eric Schmidt
And it was kind of funny to see all these professional fighters unwilling to get within a mile of the female. Then again, if you wanted to survive doing the work they did, accurate risk assessment was something you developed early
and even Qhuinn, who was the object of the protective instinct the Chosen was rocking, wouldn't have dared touch her. ~ J.R. Ward
100 Sideways Miles quotes by J.R. Ward
I'm always on the road, and I drive rental cars. Sometimes I don't know what's going on with the car, and I'll drive for ten miles with the emergency brake on. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake. What kind of emergency is this? I need to not stop now. It's not really an emergency brake, it's an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever. ~ Mitch Hedberg
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Mitch Hedberg
Nelson, do you remember the spring day when we climbed the barn gable so we could see the seagulls that mysteriously blew into our clay hills
swept from an ocean neither of us had ever seen though it was scarcely a hundred miles away, each bird a genuine miracle high above the green barley? The time we saw that panther in the sycamore tree and Maw said it was the sign of war? Nelson, I am sixty-three years old, the same age that both Maw and Daddy were when they died. I have written this in testimony. With this book, I presume to be done now with such remembrance. But somehow I suspect it will go on, this peering down old wells, this excavation of memory and its shades. ~ Joe Bageant
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Joe Bageant
The universe said, "You're almost there, just a few more steps." I agreed and took those steps. However, my definition of the distance was measured in feet, while the universe meant miles. ~ Derek Hart
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Derek Hart
As this drama played out in Moscow, over two thousand miles to the east in the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk; six men gathered on the stairs of one of the old communist era apartment blocks. ~ Pete Buckley
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Pete Buckley
What I think a lot of great marathon runners do is envision crossing that finish line. Visualization is critical. But for me, I set a lot of little goals along the way to get my mind off that overwhelming goal of 26.2 miles. I know I've got to get to 5, and 12, and 16, and then I celebrate those little victories along the way. ~ Bill Rancic
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Bill Rancic
In the shock of the moment, I gave some thought to renting a convertible and driving the twenty-seven hundred miles back alone. But then I realized I was neither single nor crazy. ~ James B. Comey
100 Sideways Miles quotes by James B. Comey
I'm a very competitive person ... I've run 12 marathons! I kayaked around Manhattan 29 miles in October! I ran the Berkshire Hathaway 5K! And I want every part of the business to compete - and play to win. ~ Steve Burke
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Steve Burke
I'm trying to focus on the 100 and 200 breaststroke now. There's no point concentrating on the 50 when it's not in the Olympics. I'm not going to quit the 50 but it's not my priority any more. I'll do it but as part of my bid for gold at the other distances. ~ Cameron Van Der Burgh
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Cameron Van Der Burgh
Miles said softly, "Ma. We'll get you out right away."
"Sure, Ma," said Jesse.
"Don't worry about me none," said Mae in the same exhausted voice. "I'll make out."
"Make out?" exclaimed the constable. "You people beat all. If this feller dies, you'll get the gallows, that's what you'll get, if that's what you mean by make out. ~ Natalie Babbitt
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Natalie Babbitt
There are promises of protection in the Word of Wisdom. The Lord's word of wisdom commanding abstinence from a worldly "king's portion" of tobacco, tea and coffee, and alcoholic beverages that are habit-forming, and which counsels the simple diet of fruits, grains, and vegetables in season, with meats used sparingly, has been given you as a revelation of God's great law of health. It stands today as a challenge to a world surfeited with things condemned as unclean and unfit for the human body.

If you have faith as the youthful Daniel and his brethren and purpose in your hearts that you will not defile yourselves with "king's meat and wine," even though you may be two thousand miles east of the Suez Canal, your faith will have the reward of hidden treasures of knowledge, of strong bodies that can "run and not be weary and walk and not faint." If by faith in this great law, you refrain from the use of food and drink harmful to your bodies, you will not become a ready prey to scourges that shall sweep the land, as in the days of the people of Moses in Egypt, bringing death to every household that has not heeded the commandments of God. ~ Harold B. Lee
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Harold B. Lee
So everyone is in a hurry
These days that we worry
Right when we need to breath.
Excess of stress we catch,
That we forget to stretch
Causing pain for miles away,
Hence ruining a running day!! ~ Ana Claudia Antunes
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Ana Claudia Antunes
There are never any traffic jams on the extra mile. ~ Brian Tracy
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Brian Tracy
An expert is somebody who is more than 50 miles from home, has no responsibility for implementing the advice he gives, and shows slides. ~ Edwin Meese
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Edwin Meese
The winter drove them mad. It drove every man mad who had ever lived through it; there was only ever the question of degree. The sun disappeared, and you could not leave the tunnels, and everything and everyone you loved was ten thousand miles away. At best, a man suffered from strange lapses in judgment and perception, finding himself at the mirror about to comb his hair with a mechanical pencil, stepping into his undershirt, boiling up a pot of concentrated orange juice for tea. Most men felt a sudden blaze of recovery in their hearts at the first glimpse of a pale hem of sunlight on the horizon in mid-September. But there were stories, apocryphal, perhaps, but far from dubious, of men in past expeditions who sank so deeply into the drift of their own melancholy that they were lost forever. And few among the wives and families of the men who returned from a winter on the Ice would have said what they got back was identical to what they had sent down there. ~ Michael Chabon
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Michael Chabon
For every $10 you reduce the price of the smartphone, 100 million more people will buy them. ~ Hans Vestberg
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Hans Vestberg
Aaron reached into his jacket pocket and took out his Bible, a gift from his father, Captain Benjamin K. Matthews, on the the day he had ridden off to war. Aaron opened to the Psalms, intending to read, but his eyes were heavy and closed against his will. O death, where is thy sting? Pastor Blackwell had told him that death had no power over him, but he sure felt that sting now. O grave, where is thy victory? How much longer would it be? Just four miles from home. Would Mama ever know?
Shiloh, the place of peace. Good ground to die on. Holy ground. ~ Karl A. Bacon
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Karl A. Bacon
In Los Angeles, everything is 100% organic, except the people. ~ Kris Kidd
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Kris Kidd
I'm 100% certain of the quality of story I'm writing until I finish the outline and actually begin to write. At this point, I'm 100% certain the story sucks and I will never show it to another living soul. Until I type "THE END." At this point, I'm 50% certain it sucks, 50% certain it's brilliant, and 100% certain if I don't show it to someone I will spontaneously combust. ~ Renee Miller
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Renee Miller
So we navigate mostly by dead reckoning, and deduction from what clues we find. I keep a compass in one pocket for overcast days when the sun doesn't show directions and have the map mounted in a special carrier on top of the gas tank where I can keep track of miles from the last junction and know what to look for. With those tools and a lack of pressure to 'get somewhere' it works out fine and we just about have America all to ourselves. ~ Robert M. Pirsig
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Robert M. Pirsig
So what rhyming poems do is they take all these nearby sound curves and remind you that they first existed that way in your brain. Before they meant something specific, they had a shape and a way of being said. And now, yes, gloom and broom are floating fifty miles away from each other in you mind because they refer to different notions, but they're cheek-by-jowl as far as your tongue is concerned. And that's what a poem does. Poems match sounds up the way you matched them when you were a tiny kid, using that detachable front phoneme. ~ Nicholson Baker
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Nicholson Baker
I wanted to create a film that hadn't been created yet. I studied film for many years. The Room is almost 20 years of my work. You see, I understand young people unlike the media. I don't expect people to love The Room 100% but I respect that people enjoy it and that maybe it opens certain doors for them. That's what makes me happy. ~ Tommy Wiseau
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Tommy Wiseau
He that spends a Groat a day idly, spends idly above 6 l. a year, which is the Price of using 100 l. ~ Benjamin Franklin
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Benjamin Franklin
Some of the wise boys who say my music is loud, blatant and that's all should see the faces of the kids who have driven a hundred miles through the snow to see the band ... to stand in front of the bandstand in an ecstasy all their own. ~ Stan Kenton
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Stan Kenton
I've never been healthier. I haven't had a cigarette in two years. I run four or five miles, four or five times a week. I've been healthy and having a really good time. ~ Jeff Tweedy
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Jeff Tweedy
Nobody would be killed on the roads if the speed limit were 10 miles an hour. ~ Tom Stoppard
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Tom Stoppard
It struck me that most businesses have less than 100 employees, but most payroll services were going after bigger companies. ~ Tom Golisano
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Tom Golisano
Pink Friday Eminem 8 Mile It must hurt to sell your album on Paypal ~ Nicki Minaj
100 Sideways Miles quotes by Nicki Minaj
Stop Whining Quotes «
» 100 Singaporeans Quotes